Black Rhino hunt sold for $350k

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Black Rhino hunt sold for $350k

Post by mobo » 13 Jan 2014, 1:56 pm

From NineMSN:

The idea of paying top dollar to hunt Lion and whatever else, then putting the money back into breeding and protecting them has been discussed here before. Check out what someone paid for this Black Rhino hunt though, 350k!

The black rhinoceros is one of the most critically endangered species in the world - and a US hunter has paid a handsome price to cut its numbers even further.

The Dallas Safari Club confirmed on its Facebook page that it auctioned off the right to shoot and kill a black rhino for US$350,000 ($389,000) at a private event on Saturday night.

The unidentified winner will travel to Namibia to claim their prize.

The auction has been loudly condemned by wildlife activists. Around 40 protesters held signs and chanted outside the convention centre where the bidding took place, reports the Associated Press.

The FBI says it is investigating death threats made against the Safari Club.

But the Safari Club insists the auction will ultimately help to save the black rhino.

It claims all proceeds will be donated to the Namibian government to be put towards conservation efforts.

"This is the best way to have the biggest impact on increasing the black rhino population," said Ben Carter, executive director of the Dallas Safari Club.

Carter said Namibia's government only allows "old, nonbreeding [rhinoceros] males that are not contributing to the population anymore" to be hunted, reports CNN.

One conservation group deemed the Dallas Club's reasoning "a sad joke".

"This auction tells the world that some Americans will pay anything for the opportunity to kill one of the last of a species," said Jeffrey Flocken from the International Fund for Animal Welfare, in a statement published online before the auction.

The World Wildlife Fund says that relentless hunting and poaching of the black rhino during the 20th century saw its numbers collapse from 70,000 to less than 5000 today.

Some people are protesting of course... If you take the Safari Club at its word though and they do infact donate the $350k back to the Namibiam Government to help repopulate these guys, 350k should go a long way.

Interesting anyway...
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR

Savage Stevens 200 .270 Winchester
mobo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Black Rhino hunt sold for $350k

Post by Bourt » 13 Jan 2014, 2:44 pm

Interesting how the irony of making death threats is always lost on these "pro life" people...
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Vati » 13 Jan 2014, 9:11 pm

As long as they stick to their word - paying the $$$ to the gov for re-population - and the bit about them only culling non-breeding bulls then it's all good.

Same as always. The anti's getting in a huff without having the full details (or ignoring the bits they don't like).
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Jan 2014, 6:43 am

So there giving $350k to one of the poorest governments going around. Yer that money will go to the rhino fund.
Member-Deleted

Post by Guliver » 14 Jan 2014, 7:00 am

There was a good show on TV by Louis Theroux not long back on the topic.

I'll see if I can search out the name of the show, I think it might be on ABC catchup. http://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/louis ... g-holiday/

Read here http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/louis-therouxs-african-hunting-holiday/

Can't seem to get the ABC link to work, try this Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z9HAqjzdIY Sorry this is only a brief clip, but it gives you the idea.

Here's a promo clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEiX-L-LNkc
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Monty » 14 Jan 2014, 9:13 am

Vati wrote:Same as always. The anti's getting in a huff without having the full details (or ignoring the bits they don't like).

You know what they say, never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn.

People couldn't get indignant over things if they looked at the whole picture. Then what would they do with their time?
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by gazza » 15 Jan 2014, 5:08 am

The trophy would be worth a fortune. Wonder who gets that.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Hennie Dreyer » 15 Jan 2014, 5:34 am

You really think that this amount of money in African authority's pockets will go to saving the rhino? Wake up people!

I am not a bunny hugger and I am all for the principle of ' If it pays it stays' (meaning hunting pays for the sustainability of our wildlife). But really....rhinos are doomed because of the Asian viewpoint on the whole thing.

Things are already going 'south' at an alarming rate, and no government is making a real stand against this....I wonder why?

You be the judge...
Hennie Dreyer
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Post by Guliver » 15 Jan 2014, 7:19 am

Hennie Dreyer wrote:Really think that this amount of money in African authority's pockets will go to saving the rhino? Wake up people!!!! I am not a bunny hugger and I am all for the principle of ' If it pays it stays' (meaning hunting pays for the sustainability of our wildlife). But really....rhinos are doomed because of the Asian viewpoint on the whole thing. Things are already going 'south' at an alarming rate, and no government is making a real stand against this....I wonder why?
You be the judge........

It's in the best interests of the safari companies to protect the wildlife and at the same time protect their profits.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blackened » 16 Jan 2014, 9:20 am

Guliver wrote:It's in the best interests of the safari companies to protect the wildlife and at the same time protect their profits.

It is, the flaw though is that short term they may prioritise profit over long term sustainability. It wouldn't be the first time someone's done that obviously.

If people were sticking to their word in the article then happy days. I've got to say though I'm highly sceptical that they would take in 350k and pour it straight back into Rhino rehabilitation. Too many people along the way who want a cut, too many palms to grease...

I can't say that I'm a huge fan of hunting solely for trophies either.

Shoot a dear, take the meat and make a trophy. No worries at all, take all the trophies you want as long as you're making the most of the rest of the animal.

Shooting big cats and that kind of thing where it's soley for a trophy doesn't sit that well with me.

Just my personal opinion.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jan 2014, 10:00 am

Blackened wrote:
Guliver wrote:It's in the best interests of the safari companies to protect the wildlife and at the same time protect their profits.

It is, the flaw though is that short term they may prioritise profit over long term sustainability. It wouldn't be the first time someone's done that obviously.

If people were sticking to their word in the article then happy days. I've got to say though I'm highly sceptical that they would take in 350k and pour it straight back into Rhino rehabilitation. Too many people along the way who want a cut, too many palms to grease...

Shoot a dear, take the meat and make a trophy. No worries at all, take all the trophies you want as long as you're making the most of the rest of the animal.

Shooting big cats and that kind of thing where it's soley for a trophy doesn't sit that well with me.

It's not just your opinion its the opinion of a few others as well. I stopped my subscription to sporting shooters over the elephant thing. I was sent a email asking why & I told them I can't see why people need to travel over there to shoot something people are trying to save when our cockies could do with the help.
Member-Deleted

Post by Aster » 16 Jan 2014, 10:06 am

Jaso wrote:I stopped my subscription to sporting shooters over the elephant thing.

I must have missed that one.

What was the 'elephant thing'?
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jan 2014, 4:14 pm

The elephant thing was a guy called Col Allison who does a page in the sporting shooters magazine.

He went overseas on one of his hunts & shot a elephant for a fee.

There was a picture doing the rounds of him standing over it.

I'm surprised you didn't here any of this while the election was on as that's when he was linked to Robert borsak as a good mate of his.

I knew he shot exotic animals all over the world but I never new he killed an elephant. When I seen & read about it I cancelled my subscription straight away.
Member-Deleted

Post by gazza » 16 Jan 2014, 4:33 pm

I agree with Jaso. Not to mention that $350,000 is not really that much money.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by chickapow » 16 Jan 2014, 4:41 pm

gazza wrote:I agree with Jaso. Not to mention that $350,000 is not really that much money.

I suppose it's one of those things that if put to good use it's a fortune, but like Blackened said by the time everyone's taken their fee and other "priorities" come up some/most/all of it never makes its way to the Rhinos.
chickapow
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Guliver » 16 Jan 2014, 7:04 pm

chickapow wrote:
gazza wrote:I agree with Jaso. Not to mention that $350,000 is not really that much money.

I suppose it's one of those things that if put to good use it's a fortune, but like Blackened said by the time everyone's taken their fee and other "priorities" come up some/most/all of it never makes its way to the Rhinos.

100% agree on not much of it is going to reach the Rhinos but no Rhinos or other critters = no income for the safari parks.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jan 2014, 7:38 pm

At the end of the day someone is going to pay money to kill something as endangered as a black rhino! This is what the useless ssaa should be dirty on & other organisations alike. It will show that people shoot for a reason not because there just paying for the privilege. One thing I will never excepet is why people have to kill animals like that & others.
Member-Deleted

Post by VICHunter » 17 Jan 2014, 2:31 pm

Aster wrote:What was the 'elephant thing'?

It was a pretty be backfire for the SSAA who no doubt though it would be an exciting article.

Lots of unhappy shooters after it in my circles.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 18 Jan 2014, 6:41 pm

Blackened wrote:

Most deer shot are purely for the trophy, if taking the meat and making a fuss about having shot it for ethical reasons assuages your guilt so be it but ultimately it is only the trophy most are really after and I would rather beef anyway (and lets face it some stringy stinky stag is usually bad eating, I drop the occaisonal doe for wow factor at barbecues and that is it).

I leave wallaby lying in the paddock most nights without feeling any guilt whatsoever- worms, devils and crows have to eat too.

You are entitled to your opinion but you tread a fine line when taking the high moral ground and saying one type of hunting is okay and another is not, I am sure your opposition to trophy hunting in Africa sits well with those that depend on it for jobs, income etc etc
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Jan 2014, 9:55 pm

It's pretty simple really, deer are pests, like foxs, rabbits, pigs & the vast majority that people shoot in Australia. I find it very hard for anyone to call a rhino, giraffe, etc a pest. They are exotic animals that have been there a long time. Unlike the introduced stuff we have here that break fences, carry all types of diseases & do so much damage. There's no line just people that think it's great to kill a exotic animal & there is those that don't.
Member-Deleted

Post by Warrigul » 19 Jan 2014, 7:07 pm

Jaso wrote:It's pretty simple really, deer are pests, like foxs, rabbits, pigs & the vast majority that people shoot in Australia. I find it very hard for anyone to call a rhino, giraffe, etc a pest. They are exotic animals that have been there a long time. Unlike the introduced stuff we have here that break fences, carry all types of diseases & do so much damage. There's no line just people that think it's great to kill a exotic animal & there is those that don't.

As soon as you attach the cute, cuddly or exotic tag to animals you have headed down the path of PETA, WWF etc etc. and their arguments against hunting.

As long as it is within the letter of the law and you have the money then go for it I say, if you like the taste of minke whale(and the population is under no threat) then go out and get a couple, if you would like a warm fur seal coat for the missus then go whack a few and get the home tanning kit out, they are in pest proportions at the moment.

Groups like PETA, WWF, wild and free, the Sea Shepard etc etc wouldn't exist if they didn't have a cause to pursue that tugs at the heartstrings of popular opinion and every little "victory" they are able to claim is a step closer to the total abolishment of hunting and fishing.

Many fishermen supported the Sea Shepherd then were appalled to find their ultimate goal is cessation of ALL fishing.

As arrogant as it sounds I am at the top of the food chain and I will kill and keep whatever I legally can as long as there are some left for the next generation and I will not feel remorse. Perhaps that is just the result of me being shaped by millennia of survival, who knows? But it was only six generations ago that hunting and trapping allowed our family to start expanding in a new world that killed off many others that were transported alongside us. I am not going to give that away.

And that is just my humble opinion.

Rant over.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Blackened » 20 Jan 2014, 11:25 am

Warrigul wrote:Most deer shot are purely for the trophy, if taking the meat and making a fuss about having shot it for ethical reasons assuages your guilt so be it but ultimately it is only the trophy most are really after and I would rather beef anyway (and lets face it some stringy stinky stag is usually bad eating, I drop the occasional doe for wow factor at barbecues and that is it).

I leave wallaby lying in the paddock most nights without feeling any guilt whatsoever - worms, devils and crows have to eat too.

You are entitled to your opinion but you tread a fine line when taking the high moral ground and saying one type of hunting is okay and another is not, I am sure your opposition to trophy hunting in Africa sits well with those that depend on it for jobs, income etc. etc.

I didn't mean to highlight deer specifically, I just picked it as an example of there being some purpose behind it as well as taking a trophy.

It's got nothing to do with 'cute and cuddly' either. If baby seals were an invasive species then I'd say go for it. If the most butt ugly, aggressive, miserable looking wretch of a creature was part of the natural balance I'd say leave it alone.

Your point about saying 'hunting animal X is ok' while saying 'hunting animal Y is not' has some merit. I understand why people think that's a bit on the nose...

Just my personal view again, but in my mind there is a difference between shooting a pest animal which is disturbing an areas balance, e.g. Myna birds VS shooting one that's naturally part of it.

I suppose that's a fine line like you say, but that's the side of the line I'm on. Others will do as they see fit.

In any case, I won't turn this into an argument, I'm not trying to prove I'm right or guilt anyone. This is my opinion, others are free to hold and share theirs.
Blackened

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey