Recreational shooting in NZ.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Recreational shooting in NZ.

Post by Southpaw » 13 Sep 2018, 7:43 pm

Hi all,
I’m organising a trip to New Zealand, staying at a mates place over there. He’s offered to take me out for a shot, and he’s not sure what the deal is re. gun licence. Does my licence cover me over there? Not planning to bag any deer, I’m assuming it will be mainly ferals. Can I buy ammo?
Any info would be appreciated.
Cheers.
:D
Southpaw
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Recreational shooting in NZ.

Post by bladeracer » 13 Sep 2018, 7:56 pm

Southpaw wrote:Hi all,
I’m organising a trip to New Zealand, staying at a mates place over there. He’s offered to take me out for a shot, and he’s not sure what the deal is re. gun licence. Does my licence cover me over there? Not planning to bag any deer, I’m assuming it will be mainly ferals. Can I buy ammo?
Cheers.

https://fishandgame.org.nz/game-bird-hunting-in-new-zealand/overseas-visitors/

Probably a good place to start.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Southpaw » 14 Sep 2018, 10:41 pm

Southpaw
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by No1_49er » 14 Sep 2018, 11:07 pm

Cheers.

Your Aus licence does not cover you, but you will need to provide info' when applying for a visitors licence.
Start here: - http://www.police.govt.nz/advice/firear ... rt-permits
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Crazy » 15 Sep 2018, 7:53 pm

Cheers.

Don't take my word as I'm not a legal expert but it is my understanding that you don't need a firearms license in NZ if you are shooting a firearm, you just have to have a license holder supervising you. Plus you can only be supervised if you are only shooting Cat A firearms in NZ this includes some semi-autos. Have a look at the NZ police website and if worst comes to worse call them, again don't think what i have said is right its just my understanding of their law.
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Southpaw » 26 Sep 2018, 8:49 pm

Thanks all : D
Southpaw
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control