Long time no geese!

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Long time no geese!

Post by zobster » 25 Sep 2018, 9:17 pm

Hi Guys,

Long time no geese!! The feral geese population has risen again, something must be done! OSA 223 55gr @ ~250m.

First trip, elevated position, target spotted in brush. Shot 15, kept 9. Note the bill, they are definitely not cape barren geese.
IMG_20180330_092548.jpg
IMG_20180330_092548.jpg (976.48 KiB) Viewed 3259 times

Second trip, elevated position, target out in the open. Shot 12, kept 6.
IMG_20180915_090456.jpg
IMG_20180915_090456.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 3259 times

Bonus eggs that were missed during the egg smashing session the day before. Chook and quail egg for comparison.
IMG_20180915_095433.jpg
IMG_20180915_095433.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 3259 times

Might ask the farmer if he would allow me to put in semi permanent hide on the hill overlooking.
Also found out that hot barrel = s**t accuracy. Never really click until recently.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Long time no geese!

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2018, 10:05 pm

You're allowed to use rifles on them down there?
I thought it was shotguns only for water birds, not that I've ever shot them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by zobster » 25 Sep 2018, 10:23 pm

They are non-migratory geese. Essentially they were domesticated geese that turned feral. Due my constant harassment, the closest I could get is about ~250m. I used to get them with a 17hmr. Most importantly, the farmer is happy to see them gone with any caliber necessary :D

As this is their nesting season, I have my shotgun loaded with BB with me when I walk through the brush. I have shot at a few, but nothing connected. I am s**t with the shotgun :oops:
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Sep 2018, 10:31 pm

Seems a waste smashing the eggs. Probably make a great quiche.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 26 Sep 2018, 8:01 am

Oldbloke wrote:Seems a waste smashing the eggs. Probably make a great quiche.

+1
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 26 Sep 2018, 8:02 am

zobster wrote:Hi Guys,

Long time no geese!! The feral geese population has risen again, something must be done! OSA 223 55gr @ ~250m.

First trip, elevated position, target spotted in brush. Shot 15, kept 9. Note the bill, they are definitely not cape barren geese.
IMG_20180330_092548.jpg

Second trip, elevated position, target out in the open. Shot 12, kept 6.
IMG_20180915_090456.jpg

Bonus eggs that were missed during the egg smashing session the day before. Chook and quail egg for comparison.
IMG_20180915_095433.jpg

Might ask the farmer if he would allow me to put in semi permanent hide on the hill overlooking.
Also found out that hot barrel = s**t accuracy. Never really click until recently.

Mate are you eating the geese that you have taken? I have never eaten them however I reckon they would be pretty good.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by zobster » 26 Sep 2018, 9:28 am

Oldbloke wrote:Seems a waste smashing the eggs. Probably make a great quiche.

To be honest, it feels as a massive waste to me as well. But that's what the bloke does to keep their numbers in check. This is the first year I got to them early enough that the eggs aren't developed yet.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigpete » 26 Sep 2018, 10:29 am

Man that would be awesome fun
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 26 Sep 2018, 5:13 pm

we have a similar problem here in mexico from time to time but I use a shotty as I can get close enough to the dams they take over
they can cook up very nicely :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 26 Sep 2018, 7:40 pm

Damn I wish we had them here ! Food,fun,and feathers !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by zobster » 26 Sep 2018, 9:06 pm

JimTom wrote:Mate are you eating the geese that you have taken? I have never eaten them however I reckon they would be pretty good.

They are actually pretty average, only good for sausage or stews.
The ones that taste the best are the ones that are just about to drop their down. I had a couple last year :thumbsup:
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by duncan61 » 26 Sep 2018, 11:31 pm

Have you tried filleting the breast meat out if its not wrecked and slicing it thin and cooking with lots of different stuff.I used to thin out the mountain ducks at the farm then pan fry with onion and bacon then having boiled potatoes and gravy.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by zobster » 28 Sep 2018, 11:29 pm

duncan61 wrote:Have you tried filleting the breast meat out if its not wrecked and slicing it thin and cooking with lots of different stuff.I used to thin out the mountain ducks at the farm then pan fry with onion and bacon then having boiled potatoes and gravy.

That's how they get processed. I'll fillet out the breast, cut off the legs and remove the neck. These geese tastes extremely "grassy" due to them preferring to graze on the green pastures. I've tried cooking them many different ways and have settled on sausages and stew as the preferred as it makes them tender.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey