Decoy's

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Decoy's

Post by marksman » 10 Oct 2018, 8:09 pm

Stix wrote:Marksman that clip is hilarious... :lol:

At around the 50 sec mark another fox or cat cuts across the track near the start of the crop.

Is the decoy come with the foxpro i assume...? (I dont have the cash for one of them...)

You get all the fun marksman
...pigs...deer...bunnies...& work for a shooter... :clap:

a hell of a lot of it isn't just fun Stix, its like work, lucky I like what I do :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Oct 2018, 9:28 pm

When I bought my Foxpro, the decoy was additional. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just build/make your own.
I've found that the main idea of the decoy was to distract attention from your location. Gives them something to fix on, and come to. Foxes will come at a rate of knots towards the sound but usually still wary and cats, very cautious along with dogs.
Movement is the big give away. along with scent - watch wind direction.
A simple but effective decoy is a springy piece of rod ( I Use the top of a fishing rod) and tie a few chook feathers tied to it and let it blow in the breeze. The Discount shops, pet shops etc should have toys that will do the job - feather boas, tails type stuff. use it with a fox whistle etc.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 11 Oct 2018, 10:53 pm

At work i use two cat traps one I place 2 doves in one and next to it the other with a lump of hot greasy chicken set and forget don,t forget to feed the birds most days when I set them, get a cat
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 12 Oct 2018, 6:07 am

pomeax,

Interesting idea. I've caught quite a few cats with a cage & some cat food in it, but hadnt thought of another cage with a bird of some sort in it.

I have a freaking thieving scum-sucking Nigerian Bower Bird that keeps breaking into the house and crapping throughout the kitchen for giggles, who would LOVE to be part of a cat-catching program!
And IF the cat nails the Bower Bird in the process, WHO CARES????
[Sorry; thats a bit harsh on Nigerians...]
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 12 Oct 2018, 9:17 am

Be careful mate, ot might be a part of the Nigerian scam, make sure you disconnect the computer and the wifi (incase it's bringing it's own mobile device)
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 12 Oct 2018, 11:29 am

Rod_outbak wrote:pomeax,

Interesting idea. I've caught quite a few cats with a cage & some cat food in it, but hadnt thought of another cage with a bird of some sort in it.

I have a freaking thieving scum-sucking Nigerian Bower Bird that keeps breaking into the house and crapping throughout the kitchen for giggles, who would LOVE to be part of a cat-catching program!
And IF the cat nails the Bower Bird in the process, WHO CARES????
[Sorry; thats a bit harsh on Nigerians...]

I got the idea from a dumb magpie that went in 1 trap I left it there for a few day a fresh cat everyday (16 in 3 months )
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 12 Oct 2018, 8:30 pm

Pomemax, Have you tried skinning a road kill bird, drying out the skin, with feathers attached, stuff it and put a bit of smelly tinned cat food in with it. It works a treat... :thumbsup:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 13 Oct 2018, 7:58 am

[quote="Ziad"]
Be careful mate, ot might be a part of the Nigerian scam, make sure you disconnect the computer and the wifi (incase it's bringing it's own mobile device)[/quote]

Yeah; I wouldnt put it past the thieving little turd.

He stole my wing-nuts from my Thumlers tumbler a couple of years ago, to help decorate his Luurrve nest (Bower) in the back yard. Attached image is all the magnetic stuff I pulled out while retrieving my wing nuts... Little turd sat in the bush beside me and made cat noises while I went fishing with a magnet on a stick.
Early on, I made the mistake of putting my hand into the bower to retrieve a screw, and found he'd laced the walls of the bower with fish-hooks!
Much cursing and swearing from Roddy, and amused hissing from nearby bush...
Best guess is roughly 4 kgs of freaking buildex roofing screws by the time I'd recovered it all, and thats from a shed ~150 metres away.

I have to give it to him; he's a busy little scammer...
Attachments
DSC_0784.JPG
DSC_0784.JPG (245.22 KiB) Viewed 5377 times
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 13 Oct 2018, 9:50 am

Thats hilarious Rod... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dont kill him mate...what a character...!!!

I can just picture him luring a cat into his fish hook built home... thats probably where he learnt the cat & hissing noises...:lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 13 Oct 2018, 10:36 am

Rotfl... rod that's funny mate
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Oct 2018, 1:06 pm

:lol: :lol: :thumbsup: +1
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by marksman » 13 Oct 2018, 1:44 pm

:lol: :lol: +2 :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 13 Oct 2018, 5:44 pm

Pic from his last capture; about 5 weeks ago...
[LAST time he was caught while burgling the house...]
Crusty stuff on his beak is from some old yoghurt I'd left outside, that he was working through.

Beady-eyed little turd...

HE started it...
[We actually have about 8 or possibly 9 male Spotted Bower birds living around the homestead, though I think I've only sighted a couple of the females. The women-folk tend to spend most of their time beating the crap out of these village-idiots, so very similar to humans; I guess!]
Attachments
20180904_115106 (2).JPG
20180904_115106 (2).JPG (317.48 KiB) Viewed 1945 times
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Oct 2018, 8:23 pm

Hhhmmmm looks like a Chlamydera maculata to me. :thumbsup: :D
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 13 Oct 2018, 8:45 pm

His last capture Rod...??

( :lol: :lol: :lol: )

So you caught him & let him go...???...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Rod_outbak » 13 Oct 2018, 9:48 pm

Yeah....Last capture on Wednesday just gone, was number 3...

Thought I'd plugged the hole in the gauze on the big verandah where he's been getting in, but apparently not well enough to keep this little turd out...

HOWEVER, the little scamming Nigerian thieving scum-sucking toad is very rapidly running out of 'Get out of Jail' cards...

About 25 years ago, we had one summer where one of these delinquents decided he REALLY liked the look of the little biscuit-ceramic bird in Mums bird-bath. he used to bring it presents, and do his song & dance routine to impress his lover interest. At one stage, the bird-bath was full of shiny rocks, berries, and other choice things that would impress the ladies...
[He must have thought she was pretty darned cold hearted; she never showed once ounce of interest!]
Things came to a crashing end, when he tried to take her back to his place for some good old-fashioned Bower-Bird loving. First attempt, Mum found the bird lying in the dirt nearby, and put it back, but the second attempt, he dropped her on a rock and she shattered.
Stupid gimp...

If anyone wants him and a few of his rellies, I can post-pack the prick; just give me an address!
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey