Decoy's

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Decoy's

Post by Stix » 08 Oct 2018, 10:22 pm

So i want a decoy/something to attract cats...i imagine something that flips n flaps around that i can set in place n sit back in wait.

So has anyone made something, &/or know of something to buy thats cheap n easy...or got any ideas...?

I have ideas but they revolve around a dead bird...id rather not waste time deading birds, rather just set, wait & pop the buggers.. :D
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Decoy's

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 08 Oct 2018, 10:33 pm

Mate I have a crow who loves to steal eggs... tipu can have no worries
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Oct 2018, 1:43 am

How are you getting them to come into the decoy?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Oct 2018, 4:35 am

One idea I come (or an old one) is a couple of white feathers flapping in the wind. I. E. Tied to a tree or fence.

I think it's like fishing. They are biting it they aren't.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 09 Oct 2018, 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 09 Oct 2018, 8:45 am

There used to be a cat-toy that looked like a ball of fluff with a couple of feathers, and the little weighted motor in it kept the toy rolling around at random.

Might be able to mod one of those to last longer?

I use a tin of cat-food in the trap to attract cats, but thats just me. Most of the cats around here(all ferals) are a bit hungry, but I make sure they leave without a care in the world!
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 09 Oct 2018, 11:32 am

Bigfella...there is one cat thats found residence in a tip...ill set the decoy in a place by a gate & it will come out for sure...!

These fukn things have stupidly declared war on a cat skin tanner-(-ME...!!!) by completely decimated my bunny population.

Cats are docile enough to come to a decoy, atleast the ones ive encountered in this area are not fussed by my presence with a light.
(With the exception of one--but that one stays put in the sheds & doesnt kill everything for fun, so i leave that one alone as the fsrmer wishes)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 09 Oct 2018, 11:34 am

Im also thinking of a bluetooth speaker by the decoy screaming out a distressed starking noise...it wont take long for it to come out...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 09 Oct 2018, 2:47 pm

Stix, I've had 'em come to the button fox whistle and I've tied a few chook feathers, sustainably harvested of course, on a bit of fishing line attached to the top piece of a fishing rob about 1.5 metres of the ground, feathers 6" and let it blow around in the breeze as a distraction . Also, used a bird sounds and that gets their attention.
The pet shop or dollar discounts shops should have a few toys that would work, just stick 'em on a stick off the ground.
They appear to get succered in for a free feed but are still very alert - no movement!
Rod_Outback, yes and Aldi 65c tin cat food works real well...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by marksman » 09 Oct 2018, 5:03 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKIAP4uXrbY

this is what a pro shooter I work for uses with very good success :drinks:
I cant see the money in it though myself, probably have a go at making a redneck cheapy :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 09 Oct 2018, 5:07 pm

Righto...a visit to Aldi & a 2 dollar shop it is...dunno about the feathers tho--

I can get a pigeon with the shotty from an infestated house but thats a 30 odd km round trip.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 09 Oct 2018, 5:22 pm

Marksman that clip is hilarious... :lol:

At around the 50 sec mark another fox or cat cuts across the track near the start of the crop.

Is the decoy come with the foxpro i assume...? (I dont have the cash for one of them...)

You get all the fun marksman
...pigs...deer...bunnies...& work for a shooter... :clap:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 09 Oct 2018, 5:28 pm

Ive seen this cat twice in one trip...once under spotlight at night & once on a morning stroll with the shotty...he's quick, he's black, & he's toey, but im gonna get the cucking little funt...!!! :evil:

Im working on the farmer letting me nail it...im hoping he comes around to my logical thinking... :clap:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Oct 2018, 9:21 pm

Stix wrote:Bigfella...there is one cat thats found residence in a tip...ill set the decoy in a place by a gate & it will come out for sure...!

These fukn things have stupidly declared war on a cat skin tanner-(-ME...!!!) by completely decimated my bunny population.

Cats are docile enough to come to a decoy, atleast the ones ive encountered in this area are not fussed by my presence with a light.
(With the exception of one--but that one stays put in the sheds & doesnt kill everything for fun, so i leave that one alone as the fsrmer wishes)

Try whistling em in mate, I've called up quite a few that way with good success :thumbsup:

This is the decoy I use when I want to use a decoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uur0LQQ9zsk
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 09 Oct 2018, 9:31 pm

Hey bigfella...maybe im stupid but what is it..& .can i buy it or make it...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Oct 2018, 5:15 am

Any of the fox callers or decoys should be worth a try.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 10 Oct 2018, 6:33 am

Rod_outbak wrote:There used to be a cat-toy that looked like a ball of fluff with a couple of feathers, and the little weighted motor in it kept the toy rolling around

+1 :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Oct 2018, 3:08 pm

yes Marksman very good clip and I trust that the grey Fox(?) voice was recorded - that would be worth it's weight in gold.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Oct 2018, 6:49 pm

Stix wrote:Hey bigfella...maybe im stupid but what is it..& .can i buy it or make it...?

Hey Stix it's called the Predator Enticer - From memory I got mine on line but can't for life of me remember who from now.

http://tail-wagger.com/product-category ... r-enticer/

https://www.amazon.com/Come-Alive-Preda ... B00HANVICO

https://www.ebay.com/p/Predator-Enticer ... 1933202963
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 10 Oct 2018, 8:09 pm

Stix wrote:Marksman that clip is hilarious... :lol:

At around the 50 sec mark another fox or cat cuts across the track near the start of the crop.

Is the decoy come with the foxpro i assume...? (I dont have the cash for one of them...)

You get all the fun marksman
...pigs...deer...bunnies...& work for a shooter... :clap:

a hell of a lot of it isn't just fun Stix, its like work, lucky I like what I do :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Oct 2018, 9:28 pm

When I bought my Foxpro, the decoy was additional. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just build/make your own.
I've found that the main idea of the decoy was to distract attention from your location. Gives them something to fix on, and come to. Foxes will come at a rate of knots towards the sound but usually still wary and cats, very cautious along with dogs.
Movement is the big give away. along with scent - watch wind direction.
A simple but effective decoy is a springy piece of rod ( I Use the top of a fishing rod) and tie a few chook feathers tied to it and let it blow in the breeze. The Discount shops, pet shops etc should have toys that will do the job - feather boas, tails type stuff. use it with a fox whistle etc.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 11 Oct 2018, 10:53 pm

At work i use two cat traps one I place 2 doves in one and next to it the other with a lump of hot greasy chicken set and forget don,t forget to feed the birds most days when I set them, get a cat
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 12 Oct 2018, 6:07 am

pomeax,

Interesting idea. I've caught quite a few cats with a cage & some cat food in it, but hadnt thought of another cage with a bird of some sort in it.

I have a freaking thieving scum-sucking Nigerian Bower Bird that keeps breaking into the house and crapping throughout the kitchen for giggles, who would LOVE to be part of a cat-catching program!
And IF the cat nails the Bower Bird in the process, WHO CARES????
[Sorry; thats a bit harsh on Nigerians...]
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 12 Oct 2018, 9:17 am

Be careful mate, ot might be a part of the Nigerian scam, make sure you disconnect the computer and the wifi (incase it's bringing it's own mobile device)
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 12 Oct 2018, 11:29 am

Rod_outbak wrote:pomeax,

Interesting idea. I've caught quite a few cats with a cage & some cat food in it, but hadnt thought of another cage with a bird of some sort in it.

I have a freaking thieving scum-sucking Nigerian Bower Bird that keeps breaking into the house and crapping throughout the kitchen for giggles, who would LOVE to be part of a cat-catching program!
And IF the cat nails the Bower Bird in the process, WHO CARES????
[Sorry; thats a bit harsh on Nigerians...]

I got the idea from a dumb magpie that went in 1 trap I left it there for a few day a fresh cat everyday (16 in 3 months )
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 12 Oct 2018, 8:30 pm

Pomemax, Have you tried skinning a road kill bird, drying out the skin, with feathers attached, stuff it and put a bit of smelly tinned cat food in with it. It works a treat... :thumbsup:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 13 Oct 2018, 7:58 am

[quote="Ziad"]
Be careful mate, ot might be a part of the Nigerian scam, make sure you disconnect the computer and the wifi (incase it's bringing it's own mobile device)[/quote]

Yeah; I wouldnt put it past the thieving little turd.

He stole my wing-nuts from my Thumlers tumbler a couple of years ago, to help decorate his Luurrve nest (Bower) in the back yard. Attached image is all the magnetic stuff I pulled out while retrieving my wing nuts... Little turd sat in the bush beside me and made cat noises while I went fishing with a magnet on a stick.
Early on, I made the mistake of putting my hand into the bower to retrieve a screw, and found he'd laced the walls of the bower with fish-hooks!
Much cursing and swearing from Roddy, and amused hissing from nearby bush...
Best guess is roughly 4 kgs of freaking buildex roofing screws by the time I'd recovered it all, and thats from a shed ~150 metres away.

I have to give it to him; he's a busy little scammer...
Attachments
DSC_0784.JPG
DSC_0784.JPG (245.22 KiB) Viewed 5406 times
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 13 Oct 2018, 9:50 am

Thats hilarious Rod... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dont kill him mate...what a character...!!!

I can just picture him luring a cat into his fish hook built home... thats probably where he learnt the cat & hissing noises...:lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 13 Oct 2018, 10:36 am

Rotfl... rod that's funny mate
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Oct 2018, 1:06 pm

:lol: :lol: :thumbsup: +1
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by marksman » 13 Oct 2018, 1:44 pm

:lol: :lol: +2 :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey