Is animal culling a job?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Is animal culling a job?

Post by HereSkip » 09 Oct 2018, 3:09 pm

Like the title suggests its something i dont hear spoken about much but something im highly interested in, I go shooting every week on a mates property to get rid of critters that eat the grass, damage the property and what not

I'm looking into SSAA's farmer assist program which is free for both the shooter and farmer but i was curious is there a paid position out there for shooters?

Is there any organisations, properties, group's out there that hire shooters ?

Any help would be great, it's a dream of mine to travel aus and if i could do it as a pro shooter that would just make my dreams come true

thanks in advance for any input or advice
"To achieve greatness you first must dream it." - Me, just then
HereSkip
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Is animal culling a job?

Post by marksman » 09 Oct 2018, 4:49 pm

it is a job if you get paid for it :thumbsup:
there are people out there who do, myself included occasionally but I am not a pro :drinks:
the hoops you need to jump to become a pro shooter are very big and many :thumbsdown:
you have to prove you are making money from shooting before you can become a pro
just the amount of money it costs for your insurance will put you off :unknown:
I dont want to burst your bubble but you are dreaming if you think you can travel OZ as a pro shooter :| :drinks:
my advise is to get out shooting and enjoy yourself, get to know people and do it right
your pay off will be being happy with good mates and a full freezer :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 09 Oct 2018, 6:12 pm

Yea...nicely said marksman... :drinks:

But HereSkip...please let me know if you find your dream job--ill come with you...
(& i mean the dream...not the misery of living under a rock in the desert for a month bowling over half dead roos)... :sarcasm:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deanp100 » 09 Oct 2018, 6:22 pm

Years ago I worked for the dpi and could’ve been a btec chopper shooter. Perfect job I thought until I realised how many btec shooters wanted my coastal position. I stayed where I was and went shooting on holidays instead. It will wear thin very quickly.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by HereSkip » 09 Oct 2018, 6:41 pm

marksman wrote:it is a job if you get paid for it :thumbsup:
there are people out there who do, myself included occasionally but I am not a pro :drinks:
the hoops you need to jump to become a pro shooter are very big and many :thumbsdown:
you have to prove you are making money from shooting before you can become a pro
just the amount of money it costs for your insurance will put you off :unknown:
I dont want to burst your bubble but you are dreaming if you think you can travel OZ as a pro shooter :| :drinks:
my advise is to get out shooting and enjoy yourself, get to know people and do it right
your pay off will be being happy with good mates and a full freezer :drinks:

ahaha yea the freezer is chockers pretty much all the time

well thanks for the advice ill see how i go at the ranges :thumbsup:
"To achieve greatness you first must dream it." - Me, just then
HereSkip
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by duncan61 » 09 Oct 2018, 8:12 pm

Short answer.Yes you can.The whole eastern seaboard has a thriving Kangaroo culling business operating thanks to one business buying out all the main processors.Do some googling and you will find it.It goes from South Aus to Nth Queensland,In some places they will put the rack on your ute and give you land to shoot on and you hire the rack but if you do about 2 years you have paid it off and you can keep it.You deliver to a set point cooler that has an operator and all you have to do is tag the carcass and it is weighed and recorded for you and you get paid.There is washdown points and it is all very organised.I am not going to drop names on an internet forum but go to your local woolies and the name will be on the pack.You will always get a job culling on the Nullarbor and may even be able to do camels and donkeys the market fluctuates.In West Aus it is all on private property and we have only 4 processors left in Perth there are 2 in Geraldton if you can get land to cull on.Other shooters get a bit twitchy if you start asking in the wrong places and we are all good shots and spotlights have been shot out before,Bummer if its a handheld not a roof mount.Anyhoo you have whiptail wallabies in Tas that can be culled by driving and shotguns is there a processor that deals with them?.The best money I have made is when the coolbox is close and has regular pickups it gets tough running your own box with power costs etc.To renew my pro license is $60/year or prorated at $5/month.If I found a market and had access to good roo country I could renew in November for $10.Give it a go I have a lot of good memories and at on point was a good shot
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 09 Oct 2018, 8:34 pm

Just looked up the wallaby license in Tas.Pretty simple dont know how you get property or where the processors are but it can be done.Here it is a 50gn pill doing 3300fps as mimimum calibre for Kangaroos not sure what you need to use on wallabies.I did read a while ago about beaters working them out of the bush and shotgunners belting them had to use at least BB shotshells.Bottom line if you get all the gear and permits and say you are a proshooter and sell one carcass you are a proshooter.There is no such thing as an amateur that gets paid.Good luck
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 09 Oct 2018, 8:40 pm

As a proshooter I depreciated all my shooting gear and consumables and was considered a primary producer for tax purposes.It really helped float my Plumbing activities during the 10 years I was involved.This year is the first time I did not claim my shooting as I have no where to sell carcasses but that could change if I go bush again
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by zobster » 10 Oct 2018, 2:42 am

I know of a fella in Tas that's a pro shooter. Apparently he gets $3 per carcass for bennett's wallaby. You shoot, drop guts, hang on rack repeat till your rack is full then transfer to coolroom. After that, I'm unsure of what happens next.

Honestly, I would like to try my hands at being a pro shooter as well. But being Asian (not saying that people are racist) doesn't help, and there are too many idiots out here.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Oct 2018, 3:16 pm

plenty of openings for pro roo shooters. no idea of the pay rates but.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 12 Oct 2018, 6:04 pm

80-100 cents/kilo is about normal.its more about weight than price
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by zobster » 13 Oct 2018, 9:57 pm

It honestly seem like a pretty ok job, based on what I see on FB. The typical load would be about 30-40 roos @ 30 - 40kg average, so its 900kg to 1600kg or $720 to $1280 per night, minus 50% for expenses you'll still left with $360-$640 per night. Assuming you take 7.5hrs to do it all, you're effectively paying yourself $48 to $85 per hour. My math may be very wrong so please correct me.

Looking at this from the $32/h I'm getting now, it looks to be a pretty ok job. But I'm sure the novelty wears off real quick when this is a job and you have to do it regardless rain/hail/snow/wet/cold.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Rod_outbak » 13 Oct 2018, 11:21 pm

Yeah.... Factor in the nights when the bugs are a solid wall, the windy/wet nights when roos are non-existant, or the night the Landcruiser breaks a spring.

It's not THAT great, for the long hours you work.

10-15 years ago, the industry was a bit stronger, and so there were better margins in it. But every roo-shooter I know these days are struggling to keep it as their sole form of income. 15 years back, most outback towns had a dozen or so different people shooting roos. These days, there'd be lucky to be a third of the number.
[Mind you; we are clocking over the last of 7 years of the worst drought on record for this area, so that figures into the mix.]
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 14 Oct 2018, 9:19 am

zobster wrote:It honestly seem like a pretty ok job, based on what I see on FB. The typical load would be about 30-40 roos @ 30 - 40kg average, so its 900kg to 1600kg or $720 to $1280 per night, minus 50% for expenses you'll still left with $360-$640 per night. Assuming you take 7.5hrs to do it all, you're effectively paying yourself $48 to $85 per hour. My math may be very wrong so please correct me.

Looking at this from the $32/h I'm getting now, it looks to be a pretty ok job. But I'm sure the novelty wears off real quick when this is a job and you have to do it regardless rain/hail/snow/wet/cold.

Don't forget to factor into your expenses that you will also need a public liability insurance policy of around $20,000,000, they are an expensive item for operating an earthmoving business, I have no idea how much more it would be for a pro shooter.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 14 Oct 2018, 9:28 am

zobster wrote:It honestly seem like a pretty ok job, based on what I see on FB. The typical load would be about 30-40 roos @ 30 - 40kg average, so its 900kg to 1600kg or $720 to $1280 per night, minus 50% for expenses you'll still left with $360-$640 per night. Assuming you take 7.5hrs to do it all, you're effectively paying yourself $48 to $85 per hour. My math may be very wrong so please correct me.

I agree zobster...ive heard of a guy over here that shoots in nsw & apparently gets $2/kg...
He is away for one week a month working/shooting.

Id love a job like that as it would suit my lifestyle perfectly, but dont know where to get one. :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 14 Oct 2018, 10:33 am

Not sure what the insurance is all about.what are you insuring?I never had it.There is no public where you cull or shouldn't be.Some of the shooters in the Gascoyne did well if they had good country and at one point we set up our own cool room trailer to deliver to and some blokes were doing over 1000kg a night at 80c/kg.in April 2014 I dedicated the whole month to culling and was paid $2850 it cost $1600 to do it in may I did 10 days plumbing and was paid $2850 and it cost $96 to do it.Enjoyed culling the red Roos but it's hard to make weight as the factory wants 14kg plus animals the best I ever had it was when I worked at a remote place and the locals bought the meat from me directly
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 Oct 2018, 10:34 am

As my friend usually says most things look good from afar... but far from good.

My logic is that we are in a free market economy if there was enough money in it moe people would stay doing it. So more supply would mean the price per kg would drop. Until the was not enough money in it. As many would do it just to cover their costs or even subsidize the costs from their own pocket to have the kill.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 14 Oct 2018, 10:39 am

In the southern part of wa many farmers cull out the big ass greys themselves as a side bonus the market dictates the industry
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 14 Oct 2018, 11:16 am

duncan61 wrote:Not sure what the insurance is all about.what are you insuring?I never had it.There is no public where you cull or shouldn't be.Some of the shooters in the Gascoyne did well if they had good country and at one point we set up our own cool room trailer to deliver to and some blokes were doing over 1000kg a night at 80c/kg.in April 2014 I dedicated the whole month to culling and was paid $2850 it cost $1600 to do it in may I did 10 days plumbing and was paid $2850 and it cost $96 to do it.Enjoyed culling the red Roos but it's hard to make weight as the factory wants 14kg plus animals the best I ever had it was when I worked at a remote place and the locals bought the meat from me directly

there is a big difference between a "pro shooter" and a "roo shooter" in Vic
as a "pro shooter" public liability insurance has been quoted at minimum $5000 to me but that did not include everything that was needed for me to go on public land to shoot vermin and pest animals, you also have to prove you make money from shooting before you can become a "pro shooter"

yet a mate who shoots roo's for a knackery in Vic doesn't need it, he still calls himself a "pro roo shooter" :unknown: but he does not have the ticket

to travel and be a pro shooter you would have to jump all the hoops every different state throws at you :thumbsdown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 14 Oct 2018, 11:20 am

Good to have learned that.here we do a meat handling course online and a accuracy test and you are good to go
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 14 Oct 2018, 11:26 am

duncan61 wrote:Not sure what the insurance is all about.what are you insuring?I never had it.There is no public where you cull or shouldn't be.Some of the shooters in the Gascoyne did well if they had good country and at one point we set up our own cool room trailer to deliver to and some blokes were doing over 1000kg a night at 80c/kg.in April 2014 I dedicated the whole month to culling and was paid $2850 it cost $1600 to do it in may I did 10 days plumbing and was paid $2850 and it cost $96 to do it.Enjoyed culling the red Roos but it's hard to make weight as the factory wants 14kg plus animals the best I ever had it was when I worked at a remote place and the locals bought the meat from me directly

You need to have public liability to protect yourself and your customer from law suits over any unintended damage your activity on their behalf may cause.

Who would you employ, someone arrogant enough to claim they never missed or had an accident of any kind and don't need insurance to protect their customer and themselves, or someone who went the extra distance to act in a fiscally responsible manner?

http://www.proshooter.com.au/?doing_wp_ ... 3730468750
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 14 Oct 2018, 11:40 am

Again all shooting in W.A. Is on private property but good to know the system in your parts.the way I did it was call the station and ask direct if you get permission to cull you set up your own cool room and start shooting.there is no employment contract and no public
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 14 Oct 2018, 12:13 pm

duncan61 wrote:Again all shooting in W.A. Is on private property but good to know the system in your parts.the way I did it was call the station and ask direct if you get permission to cull you set up your own cool room and start shooting.there is no employment contract and no public

I wasn't disputing you Duncan, merely pointing out an unfortunate fact of life.

In my 7yrs running my own earthmoving business I had a few small mishaps here and there, I had a small machine working in Sydney and the operator didn't bother to ask any basic questions on a particular job and proceeded to tear a water line, meter and all, out of the mains feeder.
As the main itself ran down the middle of the street, that's where the valve for that property was located,. That meant the road had to be dug up to shut off the feeder from the main before repairs could even start.

$20,000,000 public liability back then(early 90's) for my earthworks cover was $7300/yr/machine but this one goat-rape of a job would have put me out of action if I hadn't had the cover to take the hit.
Didn't do my premiums any favours on the next year's policy either.

Just imagine Skip makes a sudden move and your round ends up dropping a stud animal out of range of the spotlight. Not like it's never happened.

It just pays to cover yourself.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 14 Oct 2018, 12:32 pm

About to extend a sewer main so get what you are saying.We have 10 million public liability and all the services have been located.To rent Ella Bella for a week you need insurance through SSAA.Insurance is good and we buy what we need in case.I am being a fudd in only thinking about what applies to me
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 14 Oct 2018, 12:47 pm

duncan61 wrote:About to extend a sewer main so get what you are saying.We have 10 million public liability and all the services have been located.To rent Ella Bella for a week you need insurance through SSAA.Insurance is good and we buy what we need in case.I am being a fudd in only thinking about what applies to me

:thumbsup:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Roo farmer » 14 Oct 2018, 1:23 pm

Stix wrote:
I agree zobster...ive heard of a guy over here that shoots in nsw & apparently gets $2/kg...
He is away for one week a month working/shooting.

Id love a job like that as it would suit my lifestyle perfectly, but dont know where to get one. :unknown:

If you are in SA, the first thing you'll have to do is pay about $1800 to get bogged in the TAFE system for about five months until you eventually get your field processing qualification.

Then you pay $1080 to the National Parks department to be able to shoot roos on private property. Then you pay PIRSA $400 for certification of your vehicle and roo shooting tray, presuming you have one that is. These fees are every year, whether you shoot one roo or ten thousand.

Then you buy tags at $1.60 each.

Then you find a processor who will buy the roos from you, at about $0.55 for females and $0.75 for males. You'll occasionally find big ones that dress up to 50 kg or so, but in reality the average is probably more like 18 or 20 kg.

Then find some territory to shoot, run a vehicle, feed your rifle, and spend nights out getting covered in blood. You do the maths.

If you can get $2 per kg go for it.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 14 Oct 2018, 1:55 pm

I was down Albany in February and where I stayed the farm in the valley shot for a couple of hours and dropped off to the meatwork just down the street.Thats getting it too easy I am sure they pay $1/kg as well
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 14 Oct 2018, 1:56 pm

Tags are $30/100 here
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 14 Oct 2018, 2:19 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:

Don't forget to factor into your expenses that you will also need a public liability insurance policy of around $20,000,000, they are an expensive item for operating an earthmoving business, I have no idea how much more it would be for a pro shooter.

Holy s**t,you get $32/hr !!!!????
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Oct 2018, 2:26 pm

Yes I agree with Roo farmer there's too many coloured lights around making big money from roos
My cousin made big money back in the late 70's early 80's then later the arse fell out of it so he eventually went back grader driving for the shire council
I looked into it last year and the money wasn't there for what it's worth
If you don't have a box for the harvested roos then you have to get one in sometimes at your own cost or if it's supplied by the buyer then they would deduct so many cents /kilo to supply one
Then there's the cost of moving from station to station moving your private cold room and gear for every day use, days off ,wet days and the list goes on
it all cuts into your earnings
But hey if you think you would like to try then do so but brace yourself it isn't an easy ride and when it starts getting hard with kills down the novelty wears
off quick and you will start questioning yourself after spending all the money

In QLD I was required to do a tafe course for handling meats then do a shooting course then a course for the safe and ethical harvesting of animals
Had to have land owners permission already to go and a tray for the ute under spec from gov dept's that's all I can remember but there's more like tags
So it won't be an easy ride first up its a lot of $ out yet to be returned
Mind you if I had the money i'd go to-morrow even the wife said she'd go she likes the bush as well

Good luck to those that try
Member-Deleted

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey