Should Have Taken The .50

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Should Have Taken The .50

Post by duncan61 » 18 Oct 2018, 8:38 pm

That's what the practice was.Get the bow hunter within 40 metres then they place their arrow.then get out.A buffalo is not going to die on the spot.I studied their anatomy before going on safari as they are slightly different than cattle.unless you head shoot they always take time to drop
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Oct 2018, 8:51 pm

I followed the guides direction on shot placement with the first 4 shots.I had 3 in the mag and one up the spout.the next 3 I loaded while moving closer and it got up so I shot the mag into its chest area.I only had 2 left so the last one went in its backbone that I could see through the scope.It was wrong of me to call bow hunters loonies but go stick one in a Buffalo and see what it does.them super sharp arrows will get in there even if they hit a rib but it will take time to bleed out.If it sees you it will try to kill you.Go do it and hear some of the tales the outfitter will share
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 18 Oct 2018, 9:21 pm

duncan61 wrote:I followed the guides direction on shot placement with the first 4 shots.I had 3 in the mag and one up the spout.the next 3 I loaded while moving closer and it got up so I shot the mag into its chest area.I only had 2 left so the last one went in its backbone that I could see through the scope.It was wrong of me to call bow hunters loonies but go stick one in a Buffalo and see what it does.them super sharp arrows will get in there even if they hit a rib but it will take time to bleed out.If it sees you it will try to kill you.Go do it and hear some of the tales the outfitter will share

I've dropped enough animals with bow and rifle to know that generalisations are pointless. Shot placement is absolutely critical no matter what you are shooting with. If you were a guide, would you rather be (1) standing still and quiet waiting for a buff to bleed out that had just been heart/lung shot that had absolutely no idea where the shot came from, or (2) standing around whilst a hunter banged off 7 shots from a rifle making a heap of movement and noise that pinpointed the position of one or both of you.

Anyway, believe what you want. Cheers
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Oct 2018, 10:08 pm

This is a shooting forum and I am more than happy to share more information.It was day 4 of a 5 day hunt in Arnhemland.Some Estonians had flown out early so I had the main guide to myself and we walked a long way and swum in a creek at lunchtime and generally enjoyed the environment.It was on the way to the car we spotted a good size buff.my first shot was about 80-90 metres and the shot was good and I stood there grinning it was the guide that said keep hitting it.I went to pick up my spent cases after 4 shots and the guide said reload and keep hitting it.I closed to 40 metres slightly to one side so the next 3 were at an angle and I saw 2 bullets exit from the front of its chest.I had 2 left so 1more in the heart lung area and the last shot I could see it's bony spine sticking out behind the shoulder mass and that's where I put the last one now I am about 10metres away and side on.It dropped all 4legs spread out.I walked around and tapped its eye and it was dead but the guide who had been following and picking up my brass lost it as he has seen them get up many times.Its unlikely that I would do it again but good experience and I caught my one and only barramundi.The last day we went pigging and the other hunter was a sambar shooter from Victoria and his 338 tore the pigs up real good
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 19 Oct 2018, 6:16 am

This story changes every time its told!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 19 Oct 2018, 6:51 am

Yep lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Oct 2018, 8:04 am

I think in all seriousness Bent Arrow i'd feel safer ( 1) standing quietly back beside the vehicle with a bow
and (2) about 200m away from the buffalo with a good rifle and take a good decisive shot because I think my
odds would be better but that's just me :D :thumbsup: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by Bent Arrow » 19 Oct 2018, 12:43 pm

Fair enough....

Personally, I have absolutely no respect for any hunter or guide who would openly advocate as standard practice shooting an animal and then sneaking away to come back tomorrow. Whilst there is inevitably circumstances where an animal isn't found until the next day (or sometimes not at all), there is something fundamentally flawed with a person's moral and ethical compass if they think shooting and then walking away from a wounded animal is an appropriate way to plan a hunt. That's NOT Hunting. I'm struggling to believe that any one that calls themselves a hunting guide would even contemplate tolerating their clients doing so.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 19 Oct 2018, 1:21 pm

Story from the other guide.his mate took an American bowhunter out and they found a decent buff.hunterstalks in close then stands up and takes his shot.buff have a neck that dips down more than cattle and above is a big ball of muscle.the bowman puts his arrow in this area and is annoyed with himself for shooting too high and walks off.the buff sees him and charges the guide steps in and hits it 3 times with a 416 rigby in the head.the buff skids to a halt so close to the guide with its last snort it sprays blood up to his waist.guide quits guiding.some pistol hunters make these claims about how good their handgun is and quote all the ballistics and how it will work.It doesn't.the minimum for buff is375H&H.they let a hunter before me use a 6.5x55 Swiss but he kept hitting it from distance and it did the job.the main guide had his own 416 on a necked out 375 case.the recoil was manageable and it could get in where it needed to.if you all think I am making this up so be it.i have the memories and experiences
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 19 Oct 2018, 1:27 pm

Don't worry fellas it doesn't happen. All the pro guides have a very strict code of conduct and first and foremost is the welfare and prevention of needless suffering of the prey. Any guide caught doin what has been described would find themselves not just losin their livley hood but would be ostracised by their colleagues! :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Oct 2018, 10:25 pm

Yes Bent Arrow your right other than the bullet or arrow ''Ethics '' is the main factor and as DB said the guides lively hood would
cease almost instantly and I very much doubt they would ever be hired as a guide again
The whole industry revolves around ethics as does general hunting or any shooting for that matter remove the ethics and hunting becomes murder
We would be naïve to think it hasn't happened with rifle or bow but I would like to think it wasn't intentional on their part
I've never shot buffalo but find it hard to believe that now days buffalo having to be shot with a 416 several times to stop or kill it when
thousands were killed by 308 in the early days of the buffalo meat trade
As far as ethical calibers are I thought that there was a minimum caliber to use on buffalo as for deer, dogs and so on
As Bent arrow said and I can't stand people taking a shot get a runner and looking for it later when a conscious decision could have been to pull the shot until a
better shot presented itself and I know it may never come but either way a no shot or a runner ends in no animal
I shoot scrub cattle and some of those get quiet large and I switched from 25-06 to 7mag because I couldn't guarantee I could pull them up in
a respectable distance and the chance of totally loosing one injured was possible and I didn't want to take that chance
Member-Deleted

Post by duncan61 » 20 Oct 2018, 4:12 pm

The buff that were culled for meat are head shot and 308 or 303 would work however trophy bulls are taken for the horns and sometimes a shoulder mount or if you have the money a full animal like the crocodile dundee one which I have seen.what I learned was the safaris run through the dry and the large old bulls are culled out as they can cause havoc during the round up which happens just before the wet and the animals are live exported.The bulls that are shot are near the end of their life span and they have massive horns but sometimes they have lost weight and are bony and probably would not survive till next season.The outfitters mainly cater for International hunters who can bring anything from nitro express doubles to bows and handguns.Before I did it the guide lent me a DVD with previous hunts and at no time did I see anyone take one shot and the buff fall over.This is how I know how the bow hunters do it.They stalk in on the quarter so it doesnt see them then the bowhunter creeps in to about 40 metres or less then takes his shot.The guide stays back at 50-60 metres and lines the animal up with a game rifle in case it sees them usually behind a tree.These film clips are all available on the internet.My outfitter brings 2 Aussie hunters on the last trip of the season as we will help pack the camp and cater for any clients that are there.It was $13,000 American to do a 5 day hunt in Arhnemland but I paid $5000AUD its a $1000AUD to the local inhabitants for a buffalo and $400AUD for a scrub bull or bintang.You can shoot as many as you want but its extra.All this talk of lively hood is crap there is no one around for kilometres and anyone can do it.You need permission from traditional owners to enter and its a small fee.I had never been to Arnhemland and a bunch of us were going but at the final crunch I was the only one with the coin and went alone.I will make a statement here that no portable firearm is capable of dropping a buff on the spot with a chest shot one video I watched an elderly chap creeps up and gets behind a tree and puts 2 .577 nitro exp[ress in its chest and this buff corkscrews around like a rodeo bull and he reloads and calmly puts 2 more in it then it falls over.Regards duncan
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 21 Oct 2018, 7:05 am

As has been said before plenty of old timerd like tom Cole and the Hardy brothers took buff using 303"s.with single shots so do abit of research Duncan ya might be surprised.
:thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 21 Oct 2018, 8:22 am

If you can hit a dinner plate at 80 metres you can kill a buff.if it's shot in the right spot.a .243 would probably do it.I would not recommend any of the.22 chamberings even the swift it's not going to get through the skin and into the vital organs
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey