New to Hunting in WA (Perth based)

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

New to Hunting in WA (Perth based)

Post by DropDeadFred » 25 Oct 2018, 11:40 am

Hi All,

Very easy to burn an hour or two here!

I'm new to Hunting in WA but have a fair bit of experience in the UK, albeit over 10 years ago. Just bought my new rig and after much deliberation opted for a Sako 85 Varmint S/S laminated in .243. Up top I chose the Leupold VX-6HD 2-12x42 with illuminated red dot. :clap:
My hope is that I can get the opportunity to hunt pigs, goats & roos primarily for meat. My licence application is still going through the sausage factory but there really shouldn't be an issue. (famous last words).

I'd be very keen on hearing from people with a similar intent. How to get onto properties or join groups for hunting is at the very top of my 'to do' list.

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by DropDeadFred on 26 Oct 2018, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
DropDeadFred
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: New to Hunting in WA

Post by duncan61 » 25 Oct 2018, 7:25 pm

Where are you based
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Re: New to Hunting in WA

Post by DropDeadFred » 26 Oct 2018, 9:07 am

Hi Duncan,
I'm South of the river Perth
DropDeadFred
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: New to Hunting in WA (Perth based)

Post by Bruiser64 » 26 Oct 2018, 9:50 am

First and foremost I would suggest joining a rifle club and attend club shoots to start forming friendships with like minded individuals. Another option is to get involved in other outdoor pursuits like four wheel driving as shooters I know also enjoy that as well. There are properties that will allow you to shoot on them for a fee.

Probably the most effective option (but probably the most impractical) is to move to the country and get involved in the social life in the town. Shooting is popular where I live and if you are a decent, amiable trustworthy person you will get to meet other shooters (over time) who will give you opportunities to go out shooting. But it all takes time.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Re: New to Hunting in WA (Perth based)

Post by DropDeadFred » 29 Oct 2018, 12:47 pm

Thanks for the good advice. Moving into the country is probably not an option in the short to medium term, but I have every intention of spending a lot of time at the local ranges to get my eye back in and get back to the standard I was once at. Hopefully through doing that I will meet like minded people and doors (and gates) will open.

Thanks very much
DropDeadFred
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey