Maximum range, a few thoughts

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Maximum range, a few thoughts

Post by Warrigul » 21 Jan 2014, 6:16 pm

Recently there's been a bit of talk about shooting at long distance and rather than mess up any of the current topics I have started a new thread.

I would like people to seriously consider what range they are genuinely capable of taking game at. Especially with the upcoming Fallow season down here.

If you are an expert on the range at 500m then perhaps you are able to consistantly shoot better than .5MOA which is what is needed over long distance, if you have a .300WM or better with a heavy pill that expends well at lower velocities then you do have gear than is capable of killing well at that distance. Not just hitting and it disappearing to a slow painful death but anchoring it then and there or within a short distance.

I don't wish to give any of the antis any ammo to use against us so I won't post any photos but if an animal is mis -hit then often the result is very messy and someone else ends up cleaning up.

The old vee bull on a 500m fullbore target is 146mm, not many hit that cold barrel first shot better than 75% of the time and that is with known range conditions, rests and wind flags. A killing headshot on a fallow doe is say a 100mm radius. Do the sums and have a think.

Go to a range and have a shot at 200 then further if you are going well, sometimes people find that 300 is a lot further than they think. If you don't have access to a range then pace out 300 in the bush then have a shot at a suitable target and see what the bullet drop is like compared to say 100 or 200 where you originally sighted in.

I still limit myself to around three hundred just so I don't end up upsetting anyone, I have seen a couple of other peoples stuff ups and they weren't pleasant.

Just some food for thought.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Re: Maximum range, a few thoughts

Post by yoshie » 21 Jan 2014, 6:43 pm

At the range 300m doesn't look that far but out in the field it's a very long way. I think 200m is realistic max range on a deer, maybe pushing to 250,270 with a great rest and a perfect shot, etc. Some calibers are flat shooters and may extend this a bit further (Winchester Magnums, Ruger compact Magnums ) but not by much.

Just my opinion.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Lorgar » 22 Jan 2014, 8:16 am

yoshie wrote:At the range 300m doesn't look that far but out in the field it's a very long way.

I'd agree with that.

Off the bench I can hit a plate at 300m all day long. In the field, freehand shooting, I'm not embarrassed to say I'd miss more often than I'd hit at that distance.

200m is a confident range for me when in the field.

I'm shooting .308 (with a reasonably heavy powder charge) when out and about too, so within 200m it does enough damage that a head shot isn't critical either.

I can go for boiler room shots and be confident it will hit the target and do the business.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by beerd » 22 Jan 2014, 8:22 am

I know I got a shock the first time I looked through a scope at 200m compared to what I had pictured in my head.

Looking at something at 200m with your naked eye then making a crosshair float steadily over it are a far cry from each other.

I realise this now but I'm still a crap shot :lol:
beerd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Fry » 22 Jan 2014, 8:47 am

Along similar lines, I've gotta say it really gives me the s**ts the way some people give "advice" on hunting and shot placement.

Someone will be putting lots of effort in and asking about the right type of bullet, load, calibre which will put the animal down with authority and so on.

And some tosser chimes in about taking deer with his .22 because he "just head shots" them.

Like everyone can do a perfect brain shot every single time at any distance.

Pull your head in :roll:
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Monty » 22 Jan 2014, 9:59 am

Didn't you know? Everybody on the internet shoots 1/4 MOA all the time :lol:

Not like the real people who shoot at the range.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Rippah » 22 Jan 2014, 12:28 pm

Warrigul wrote:I have seen a couple of other peoples stuff ups and they weren't pleasant.

People getting too exciting about taking a shot and not thinking.
Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50
Remington Model 12 .22LR
CZ Ring neck 12G
Rippah
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Jan 2014, 6:35 pm

I only head shoot deer, so what! If you can't do it don't comment.
Member-Deleted

Post by Warrigul » 22 Jan 2014, 8:32 pm

Jaso wrote:I only head shoot deer, so what! If you can't do it don't comment.

He's saying that some people have an unrealistic expectation of others and I agree.

It is quite common for a new shooter to be gunned down on a forum when they are only after a bit of advice, they mysteriously disappear and are never heard from again, I have seen it time and again.

As far as I am concerned he is very welcome to comment as he sees fit.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Baldrick314 » 23 Jan 2014, 8:28 am

Monty wrote:Didn't you know? Everybody on the internet shoots 1/4 MOA all the time :lol:

Not like the real people who shoot at the range.

Pfft only 1/4? I thought we could all shoot .1 MOA groups well past 500 yards :lol:

On a serious note though, as mentioned it's very easy to turn away new shooters by embarrassing them when they ask questions. If you can consistently make head shots on your chosen game animal good for you but not everyone can. Best advice is shoot from a distance you feel confident you can down an animal with the least amount of pain incurred
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Fry » 23 Jan 2014, 8:32 am

Up to what range though?

100m, 200m? There is a limit.

Some people (not you, just continuing my original thought) carry on like they headshot deer at 500m every single shot... Perfect, 100%, never miss... They expect everyone to do the same and berate anyone who can't admits they can't

bulls**t...

Like I said, not having a go at you. My 2c.
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by maxi » 23 Jan 2014, 10:31 am

Jaso wrote:If you can't do it don't comment.

That's a bit rough. No help for us noobs?
maxi
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Post by Warrigul » 23 Jan 2014, 10:38 am

Fry wrote:

Up to what range though?

100 is my personal limit with some sort of rest, 50 freestanding.

I shoot fallow purely for meat so I prefer a headshot, these are just my thoughts,

There are so many variables but as a rule when I am sitting and waiting and get a bit of warning (but they always seem to materialise out of nothing at dawn and dusk don't they?) I usually position myself so it is an easy 50m shot. They will often come out of cover or cross a stream, hesitate and have a look before fully committing to crossing open ground. I am usually within 100m have some sort of pre planned rest and have never missed. The few I have taken over 100m have all been chest shots just to be sure. If they look like trotting past, a sharp cough or similar will often stop a doe dead for a second or two then they will stamp before doing anything else(I know it sounds strange but it is true).

Stalking shots are always chest shot for me.

When I did care about the rack it was a boiler room shot every time just to be sure. New shooters- chest shots to be sure whatever range, everyone wobbles a bit the first time regardless of how many shots at the range.

Get the old .22 out and if you can hit a milo tin lid standing up at 100 consistantly after going for a 100m stroll then you should be able to head shoot deer .

Just my humble opinions.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Manimal » 23 Jan 2014, 11:11 am

Warrigul wrote:Get the old .22 out and if you can hit a milo tin lid standing up at 100 consistantly after going for a 100m stroll then you should be able to head shoot deer

Hmm, good advice.

Something for me to try.
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Skadoo » 23 Jan 2014, 12:33 pm

maxi wrote:That's a bit rough. No help for us noobs?

No soup for you! :D
Skadoo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Hennie Dreyer » 23 Jan 2014, 10:24 pm

Dunno....sometimes testosterone or a feeling of being recognised gets the better of people. I may be wrong, but why on earth does a person specifically want to exhibit expertise as a hunter by flaunting longest range head shots? (And then making sure that the bragging rights are claimed)

Hunting, to me (and I do apologise profusely if you think I am saying that every person should think like me), is all about enjoying nature, conserving what is out there, and the humane dispatching of an animal once you made the decision to shoot at it.

For this reason, I never ever over estimate my capability. I do feel comfortable about taking a 200m shot, but then only 'on the shoulder'. Head shots....only at 100m or less for me, and not too close either, because you may go too low. (Once again - my opinion)

I any event, I think a huge level of responsibility and respect is on the shoulders of the hunter
Hennie Dreyer
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Post by Vati » 24 Jan 2014, 7:33 am

Hennie Dreyer wrote:Hunting, to me (and I do apologise profusely if you think I am saying that every person should think like me)...

WHAT? TO YOU?!

HOW DARE YOU HAVE AN OPINION WHICH DIFFERS TO MINE!

j/k :D
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Seik » 24 Jan 2014, 7:44 am

Hennie Dreyer wrote:Hunting, to me (and I do apologise profusely if you think I am saying that every person should think like me), is all about enjoying nature, conserving what is out there, and the humane dispatching of an animal once you made the decision to shoot at it.

I'm sure that's the same for 99% of people. No one's out to hurt anything... They just get carried away with bragging rights on the forum and it casts them in a slightly different light.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 02 Feb 2014, 3:30 pm

Get the old .22 out and if you can hit a milo tin lid standing up at 100 consistantly after going for a 100m stroll then you should be able to head shoot deer .

freehand????? how big a millo tin?? the 1 kg tin or the little ones??? uphill stroll or downhill stroll?? how do you get the millo tin on the deer's head???? :lol:
its all too hard ,,looks like ill just shoot them in the boiler room, that's when i shoot one of course :lol: :oops: the only thing i head shoot is rabbits but i don't do that at 100 mtrs either :D
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Deco » 02 Feb 2014, 5:34 pm

Seik wrote:They just get carried away with bragging rights on the forum and it casts them in a slightly different light.

People sometimes don't articulate what they're trying to say perfectly either.

Tougher on a forum than face to face.
Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270 Winchester
Deco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey