Fun new sport

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Fun new sport

Post by Chappo » 18 Nov 2018, 8:05 pm

So many of you may already know this so excuse my ignorance but I was recently made aware of a pest I hadn’t even noticed on my own land.

I’m talking about the Indian miner.
No not a bloke wearing feathers on his head and digging for gold,
Nor our curry loving friends that are too young to get a beer at the pub but rather the Indian Myna bird.

Seems these coke can sized cane toads of the sky have been causing quite the curfuffle! They have been listed as a pest species in oz after taking over the urban areas on the eastern coast (nsw) and are spreading inland. I am some distance from the coast and once I was told about them I am now seeing them here everywhere.

So here’s to the Indian myna :drinks: you hoppy little paddock rats look so good down the barrel of my .22 and have injected a nice dose of fun into my Sunday plink! ;)
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Fun new sport

Post by Wombat » 18 Nov 2018, 8:23 pm

As they are new to you here is a comparison to the native Noisy Minor. The Indian Mynas love dog food if you want to lure them in.

http://www.mdavid.com.au/birds/noisymin ... myna.shtml
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Nov 2018, 8:33 pm

Chappo wrote:So many of you may already know this so excuse my ignorance but I was recently made aware of a pest I hadn’t even noticed on my own land.

I’m talking about the Indian miner.
No not a bloke wearing feathers on his head and digging for gold,
Nor our curry loving friends that are too young to get a beer at the pub but rather the Indian Myna bird.

Seems these coke can sized cane toads of the sky have been causing quite the curfuffle! They have been listed as a pest species in oz after taking over the urban areas on the eastern coast (nsw) and are spreading inland. I am some distance from the coast and once I was told about them I am now seeing them here everywhere.

So here’s to the Indian myna :drinks: you hoppy little paddock rats look so good down the barrel of my .22 and have injected a nice dose of fun into my Sunday plink! ;)

We started seeing them here about a year ago, although I'd seen them in the local towns a lot. Now, they're all over the damned place.
On the other hand, it was good to see some healthy looking rabbits along the creek over the road this arvo - it's been a long time since we had them here.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 18 Nov 2018, 9:12 pm

Here is a question i was asked the other day In areas where the Indian minor bird are present why do we never see the humble sparrow any more?.
I had not noticed it till I was asked seems they eat the young in the nest < same with small finches and the like .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 18 Nov 2018, 9:13 pm

Wombat wrote:As they are new to you here is a comparison to the native Noisy Minor. The Indian Mynas love dog food if you want to lure them in.

http://www.mdavid.com.au/birds/noisymin ... myna.shtml

www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7a-NeDTaL4 may help
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 19 Nov 2018, 7:17 am

Check out systematic Indian Mynah trapping around Canberra.
Plenty of simple good ideas that work.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 19 Nov 2018, 8:26 am

Just like cane toads we kill every last one we see and finally about two or three weeks ago we saw our first double barred finches and sunbirds actually nesting on the block. :D :D :D :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey