Field dressing / recipe / cooking thread?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Field dressing / recipe / cooking thread?

Post by TassieTiger » 19 Nov 2018, 8:52 pm

Hidy Ho - just wondering if somewhere within the forum there is a tips, tricks for field dressing and/or a cooking / recipe ideas thread? Have I missed it? Should it be left off the forum and access only granted to those that love kitchens...?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: Field dressing / recipe / cooking thread?

Post by Stix » 19 Nov 2018, 9:26 pm

Theres a few recipe ones around...mostly people just make an individual one...

You could try "whats for lunch"...think there might be a few duck phat potatoes & sirlions on that one from the mexican that spotlights with his 300 wini :shock:
:lol: .

Then there's big fella's scrummy bunny recipe somewhere...
And a few others floating around too from memory.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by zobster » 19 Nov 2018, 9:44 pm

Just substitute beef/lamb with similar game and you'll be set.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Bent Arrow » 20 Nov 2018, 7:23 am

I asked this a while ago, this was the result

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9252
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Nov 2018, 2:18 pm

zobster wrote:Just substitute beef/lamb with similar game and you'll be set.

I have tried this but often there is an over powering gamey taste that puts ppl off, incl me lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Nov 2018, 2:31 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:I asked this a while ago, this was the result

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9252

That’s a bit sad...there are so many tips and tricks that ppl can pass of via the right method...
I’ve been cleaning rabbits lately and have spent ages cleaning the fur off the leg meat...an old guy showed me to cut outwards on skinning the legs and magic - no more fur (or very little).
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bent Arrow » 20 Nov 2018, 10:00 pm

So many ways to skin the proverbial. Where do you cut when you skin the legs? I make one short cut along the back bone and then just peel/pull the skin off, once your started, you can grab the body and its like pulling a jumper over your head. I then cut the head and last joints on the feet off with skin intact all one piece, hey presto done. A quick cut along the abdomen to gut. Done, easy peasy.

I find when cutting through hair, whenever possible cut with the hair rather than against it, and cut from the inside out, rather than the outside in and you'll get less hair left on the meat
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Stix » 20 Nov 2018, 10:13 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:I find when cutting through hair, whenever possible cut with the hair rather than against it, and cut from the inside out, rather than the outside in and you'll get less hair left on the meat

Also, Your knife edge will last a lot longer the less hair/fur you cut... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 20 Nov 2018, 10:22 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
Bent Arrow wrote:I asked this a while ago, this was the result

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9252

That’s a bit sad...there are so many tips and tricks that ppl can pass of via the right method...
I’ve been cleaning rabbits lately and have spent ages cleaning the fur off the leg meat...an old guy showed me to cut outwards on skinning the legs and magic - no more fur (or very little).

Try start with a cut down the inside of the back legs...where those cuts meet slit open & down the gut.

Then pull/peel the skin around the back leg while pushing the leg through the opening, push thumb thru skin behing the leg & pull...you should have a bsre leg & a foot with fur... :thumbsup:

Wish we could all show our skinning ways on here...

I rarely if ever get hair on bunnies...but then ive been skinning them since a young boy.

I suck at skinning everything else though... :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 21 Nov 2018, 7:09 am

Stix wrote:You could try "whats for lunch"...think there might be a few duck phat potatoes & sirlions on that one from the mexican that spotlights with his 300 wini :shock:

This guy sounds like a top bloke!
Bigjobss

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Nov 2018, 11:36 am

Handy tips - cheers.
Charging the nite core now and getting some sub sonics...game back on lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 21 Nov 2018, 6:47 pm

Bigjobss wrote:
Stix wrote:You could try "whats for lunch"...think there might be a few duck phat potatoes & sirlions on that one from the mexican that spotlights with his 300 wini :shock:

This guy sounds like a top bloke!

:lol: Yep... :thumbsup:
Just stirring...wondering if you would see this.
I want to try this duck fat spud thing...got me super curious...!!! :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 21 Nov 2018, 8:37 pm

Maaaaaate duck fat spuds are the best thing ever dont hesitate just do it, and dont skimp on the fat.
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 22 Nov 2018, 8:09 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Maaaaaate duck fat spuds are the best thing ever dont hesitate just do it, and dont skimp on the fat.

Consider yourself to be my Google...

Can you post how you do them...including the purchase of any special tools required to wring the fat out of the ducks...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 22 Nov 2018, 8:55 pm

Aren't I lucky :allegedly:

Alright so first thing is you have got to fatten the ducks up, bring them home as guests for a few weeks, let them stay in the spare room and feed them well. Once the'yre nice and plump you can start the squeezing process :welcome:

Alternatively buy some duck fat in a jar
-roughly peel (i like a little skin left) around 0.5kg waxy potatoes and chop into angular chunks and par boil, from cold, around 5 minutes from boiling so they get a little soft
-drain and put back in pot lid on and shake vigorously to roughen the edges, these edges will crisp up
-add a couple tablespoons of duck fat, salt and pepper and toss around
-place in a baking paper lined tray in a 190° preheated oven and roast untill golden and crunchy, might be around 35-45mins depending on oven.

The baking paper stops the tatters from sticking so you get a crunchy exterior and you dont lose it when it sticks to the tray. Might not need it if you have non-stick. Dont skimp on salt, a bit of fresh rosemary doesnt hurt either.
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 22 Nov 2018, 10:20 pm

:thumbsup:

RightOh...im off to the duck fat in a jar shop... :thumbsup:

Thsnks for that. :drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 23 Nov 2018, 12:28 am

How long can you leave it, in like cool weather - before you have to skin rabbits / roo?

I don’t mind gutting within a few minutes of shooting but I continue to screw up skinning the buggers under lights, getting fur on meat, cutting meat awY that I shouldn’t, etc - can I leave it until the morning?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 23 Nov 2018, 9:31 am

TassieTiger wrote:How long can you leave it, in like cool weather - before you have to skin rabbits / roo?

I don’t mind gutting within a few minutes of shooting but I continue to screw up skinning the buggers under lights, getting fur on meat, cutting meat awY that I shouldn’t, etc - can I leave it until the morning?

My opinion...yes mate no problems... :thumbsup:

Although skinning is much harder if not done while animal is warm...but bunnies are not so tuff.

Ive left bunnies in their skins (obviously guts removed) for a week--in the fridge in a cotton bag so it breathes & in the crisper drawer.

I could be wrong but im sure roos are kept in site chillers for at least a week before they're collected & transported to process plant.

The other issue you have if skinning the next day is flies--flies not out at night...!!
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 23 Nov 2018, 9:37 am

Just make sure flies cant get to them incase you sleep in...it doesnt take long for meat to get blown come daybreak...!

Hang in a cotton pillow case is ok...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 23 Nov 2018, 4:52 pm

Thanks for Replies.
I think once I’ve got a couple done in daylight hours, I’ll become better at it when pressed in poor light. But I don’t want to waste.

I curried some fillets cut from back legs the other night using some carrot, onions, powders and spices and my secret ingredient - big red tomato soup!
Braise the meat and onions, then simmer in tomato soup / milk / water - add carrots with curry powder, spices and when carrots are soft as - serve on bed of mash.
I told people it was chicken and everyone absolutely loved it !!

Cheers.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey