Spot lighting

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Spot lighting

Post by marksman » 14 Dec 2018, 8:35 pm

brinny wrote:Get a thermal scope and no more light troubles..... :thumbsup:


to true, I was working the other night with a pro who uses thermal even for driving around, we stopped at 50 :thumbsup:
it's what we could fit in the trailer :drinks:
User avatar
marksman
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 2032
Victoria

Re: Spot lighting

Post by Stix » 14 Dec 2018, 8:36 pm

Bludy hell...Brinny's back...!!!

Dont talk to me about spotlights...last i was out in the paddock mine went out while on a fox...then it went out on bunny...then a cat...didnt get either of the cat of fox...!!

Took it back & they cant find a fault...told me to try it again like im a dik..."bring it back if it does it again"...im not real happy...& they wont be happy, cos if it does it again i want money back...i told them the problem & where it is & if they cant be bothered pulling it apart to look, then i cant be bothered with their gear...!!

Are you funding thermal purchases Brinny...? Cos i really am a special case...for funding... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier
 
Posts: 2395
South Australia

Re: Spot lighting

Post by brinny » 14 Dec 2018, 9:32 pm

Stix wrote:Bludy hell...Brinny's back...!!!

Dont talk to me about spotlights...last i was out in the paddock mine went out while on a fox...then it went out on bunny...then a cat...didnt get either of the cat of fox...!!

Took it back & they cant find a fault...told me to try it again like im a dik..."bring it back if it does it again"...im not real happy...& they wont be happy, cos if it does it again i want money back...i told them the problem & where it is & if they cant be bothered pulling it apart to look, then i cant be bothered with their gear...!!

Are you funding thermal purchases Brinny...? Cos i really am a special case...for funding... :lol:


Generally a tad quiet this time of year mate....Dont start getting back into the critters until April after the roar....I reckon then youse will be getting sick of me :shock: :shock:
Im a retired gent now so will have a lot more time out in the field from here on in.....
Rebarreling a Sako 85 in 17 Rem and have another XQ50 Trail thermal to fit on it when i get the rifle back....that will compliment the Sako 85 204 i mainly use...It has an XQ 50 Trail on it also....
Once you use thermal there is no going back to a spotlight....downside is of course ...Price...Tends to really throw a spanner in the works....
Im running a couple of XQ50 Trails now and have an XQ50 Helion monocular to fit up on the Polaris roof wifiing down to a tablet, so getting all teched up for the year to come....I also run an XQ50 Quantum as a hand held monocular to scan with....
Funding one for you mate you ask.....Only to happy too....as long as you can get it past the ministry for finance, should be sweet....
She told me in no uncertain terms that there is only one of two reasons she would leave me.....one is if i get back into earthmoving...the other is if i buy another thermal :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: I think she is loosing her sense of humour with me of late.... :lol: :lol:
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
User avatar
brinny
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 117
Victoria

Re: Spot lighting

Post by Stix » 14 Dec 2018, 10:58 pm

brinny wrote:
Stix wrote:Bludy hell...Brinny's back...!!!

Dont talk to me about spotlights...last i was out in the paddock mine went out while on a fox...then it went out on bunny...then a cat...didnt get either of the cat of fox...!!

Took it back & they cant find a fault...told me to try it again like im a dik..."bring it back if it does it again"...im not real happy...& they wont be happy, cos if it does it again i want money back...i told them the problem & where it is & if they cant be bothered pulling it apart to look, then i cant be bothered with their gear...!!

Are you funding thermal purchases Brinny...? Cos i really am a special case...for funding... :lol:


Generally a tad quiet this time of year mate....Dont start getting back into the critters until April after the roar....I reckon then youse will be getting sick of me :shock: :shock:
Im a retired gent now so will have a lot more time out in the field from here on in.....
Rebarreling a Sako 85 in 17 Rem and have another XQ50 Trail thermal to fit on it when i get the rifle back....that will compliment the Sako 85 204 i mainly use...It has an XQ 50 Trail on it also....
Once you use thermal there is no going back to a spotlight....downside is of course ...Price...Tends to really throw a spanner in the works....
Im running a couple of XQ50 Trails now and have an XQ50 Helion monocular to fit up on the Polaris roof wifiing down to a tablet, so getting all teched up for the year to come....I also run an XQ50 Quantum as a hand held monocular to scan with....
Funding one for you mate you ask.....Only to happy too....as long as you can get it past the ministry for finance, should be sweet....
She told me in no uncertain terms that there is only one of two reasons she would leave me.....one is if i get back into earthmoving...the other is if i buy another thermal :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: I think she is loosing her sense of humour with me of late.... :lol: :lol:


Well maybe when we hit the paddock together its wise that i dont meet her then Brinny...or my good looks, strong athletic build, tradie tuffness & general sexy aura will give her another reason to leave you mate... :lol: :lol: :lol: :allegedly:

Another thought...what about adoption...?...then surely you'd have to buy the new kid a new thermal to go out with Dad...?... :unknown: :clap:

All seriousness though...not many reds kicking around my usual haunt this year--think the neighbours did another round or 2 of poisoning so not sure ill have a great winter... :thumbsdown:

On the other hand, i have another 3 properties i dont get to that should be promising for foxes so ill have to head down towards Antarctica next year i think.

That 17 sounds a ripper Brinny... :thumbsup:
Im loving the 204, but starting to get annoyed with the Tikka--not being able to top feed a live ejected round is beginning to wear thin... :roll:

A 17 would be good fun on the foxes i rekon...make sure to keep us posted with it--im keen to see & hear how it all performs. :thumbsup:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier
 
Posts: 2395
South Australia

Re: Spot lighting

Post by Blr243 » 15 Dec 2018, 8:12 am

BRINNY. I have a pretty good night vision scope with after market ir illumination but I’m seriously thinking of a thermal scope in the near future. I have been looking at the Xq 38 and the xq 50. what makes you prefer the xq 50 ?
Blr243
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 269
Queensland

Re: Spot lighting

Post by brinny » 15 Dec 2018, 9:53 am

Blr243 wrote:BRINNY. I have a pretty good night vision scope with after market ir illumination but I’m seriously thinking of a thermal scope in the near future. I have been looking at the Xq 38 and the xq 50. what makes you prefer the xq 50 ?


Hi mate....My original thermal was the Apex series, the XD75....it was a great scope....but ended up with a pretty serious problem that Pulsar couldnt fix....so they offered me a new scope as a replacement...
The Apex series was replaced by the new Trail series, so an XQ50 Trail was offered as a replacement....which i took.....
Had heaps of updates on it, and once i worked all the settings out after being so used to the Apex, i was VERY impressed with it....so much so i bought a second one....
Im in unfamilliar territory with the XQ 38 as i have not had anything to do with them, although i should imagine that they have less pixels and a narrower field of view....
I have a mate that has the XP50 trail and they are some 2k dearer than the XQ50, and to be honest....you dont get that much more benefit out of the scope for the extra 2k....
The XQ50 trail does all that i need from a thermal scope and i highly recomend them....
I have taken foxes out to 400m with it, but dont recomend that as they are not the same to use as a normal day scope and at that distance pinpoint accuracy is near impossible to acheive....
I find that around the 200m is ideal for them...
A few different blokes on other forums have often asked me about thermals and if they are within close proximity of me they can come out and take a look for themselves and see exactly what its like in the environment they were made for....There is nothing like first hand experience before you hand over all that hard earned moola before you go down that path....
Hope that helps mate.....Cheers...
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
User avatar
brinny
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 117
Victoria

Re: Spot lighting

Post by brinny » 15 Dec 2018, 10:11 am

Stix wrote:
brinny wrote:
Stix wrote:Bludy hell...Brinny's back...!!!

Dont talk to me about spotlights...last i was out in the paddock mine went out while on a fox...then it went out on bunny...then a cat...didnt get either of the cat of fox...!!

Took it back & they cant find a fault...told me to try it again like im a dik..."bring it back if it does it again"...im not real happy...& they wont be happy, cos if it does it again i want money back...i told them the problem & where it is & if they cant be bothered pulling it apart to look, then i cant be bothered with their gear...!!

Are you funding thermal purchases Brinny...? Cos i really am a special case...for funding... :lol:


Generally a tad quiet this time of year mate....Dont start getting back into the critters until April after the roar....I reckon then youse will be getting sick of me :shock: :shock:
Im a retired gent now so will have a lot more time out in the field from here on in.....
Rebarreling a Sako 85 in 17 Rem and have another XQ50 Trail thermal to fit on it when i get the rifle back....that will compliment the Sako 85 204 i mainly use...It has an XQ 50 Trail on it also....
Once you use thermal there is no going back to a spotlight....downside is of course ...Price...Tends to really throw a spanner in the works....
Im running a couple of XQ50 Trails now and have an XQ50 Helion monocular to fit up on the Polaris roof wifiing down to a tablet, so getting all teched up for the year to come....I also run an XQ50 Quantum as a hand held monocular to scan with....
Funding one for you mate you ask.....Only to happy too....as long as you can get it past the ministry for finance, should be sweet....
She told me in no uncertain terms that there is only one of two reasons she would leave me.....one is if i get back into earthmoving...the other is if i buy another thermal :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: I think she is loosing her sense of humour with me of late.... :lol: :lol:


Well maybe when we hit the paddock together its wise that i dont meet her then Brinny...or my good looks, strong athletic build, tradie tuffness & general sexy aura will give her another reason to leave you mate... :lol: :lol: :lol: :allegedly:

Another thought...what about adoption...?...then surely you'd have to buy the new kid a new thermal to go out with Dad...?... :unknown: :clap:

All seriousness though...not many reds kicking around my usual haunt this year--think the neighbours did another round or 2 of poisoning so not sure ill have a great winter... :thumbsdown:

On the other hand, i have another 3 properties i dont get to that should be promising for foxes so ill have to head down towards Antarctica next year i think.

That 17 sounds a ripper Brinny... :thumbsup:
Im loving the 204, but starting to get annoyed with the Tikka--not being able to top feed a live ejected round is beginning to wear thin... :roll:

A 17 would be good fun on the foxes i rekon...make sure to keep us posted with it--im keen to see & hear how it all performs. :thumbsup:
:drinks:


Ha ha ha....I think im pretty safe as my wife is used to the old and experienced....not the young would be if they could bes.... :sarcasm:
As far as adoption goes...i have a 10 year old here that being an only child and enjoys mom and dads full 100% attention that would get his nose right out of joint if i bought another kid intpo the fold....so in the interests of keeping the peace at home...ill pass thanks mate.... :drinks:

I find this time of year it always seems that the critters are dwindling off....but wait a few months and they appear in droves.....im seeing nothing out the back as well at the moment...just the odd one.....

Ill keep working on you to get a Sako, then you dont have any of those feed problems :friends:
I have always been a huge 17 fan....not often i dont have one in the safe....so looking forward to getting it back and putting it through its paces ready for next year....
Certainly keep you posted.... :thumbsup:
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
User avatar
brinny
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 117
Victoria

Re: Spot lighting

Post by Blr243 » 15 Dec 2018, 1:44 pm

Very. Useful info. On the thermal. Thank u very much.
Blr243
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 269
Queensland

Re: Spot lighting

Post by Cal-ApeR » 27 Dec 2018, 9:00 pm

A late entry. Halogen for me. I find what they are eating makes a difference. If they are in paddocks with livestock they tend to move quickly. Around crops, they are slower to move as they love the free feed. If they do flee, I find they often don't go too far. Just my observations.
I'd rather be hunting
User avatar
Cal-ApeR
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 178
Queensland

Previous

Back to top
 
Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control