Learning the ropes

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Learning the ropes

Post by Mortis_Hônoré » 26 Nov 2018, 8:19 pm

Hi all. I am looking at getting into to hunting and learning the ropes, guts and all. However my current living situation inhibits me from owning a firearm and nor do I want to go out when I do eventually get one and cause pain to the animal. I want to hunt for meat and to appreciate the tradition and the animals. So having someone to show me the ropes and how to hunt ethically would be greatly appreciated. I would obviously pay my way in all regards aswell and provide a case of beer or a bottle of demons of your choice for the trip. I would also offer my skills in leather craft at cost price in return. I can make knife sheaths, gun holsters, belts and could probably make a stock pouch easily.
Im in Brisbane, QLD by the way and as for firearm experience I have shot 22lr varmints, 303 mkIII lee-enfield, 1911, glock, up and over 12 guage, and an f88 aus-steyr. I know my fire arm safety diciplines and treat firearms with the respect and discipline they deserve.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.
Mortis_Hônoré
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Learning the ropes

Post by Michael08 » 11 Dec 2018, 6:05 pm

I mean no disrespect mate, but I’ve never seen an “ up and over” before, plenty of “over and unders” though. Haha
Michael08
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Dec 2018, 6:32 pm

Mortis_Hônoré wrote:Hi all. I am looking at getting into to hunting and learning the ropes, guts and all. However my current living situation inhibits me from owning a firearm and nor do I want to go out when I do eventually get one and cause pain to the animal. I want to hunt for meat and to appreciate the tradition and the animals. So having someone to show me the ropes and how to hunt ethically would be greatly appreciated. I would obviously pay my way in all regards aswell and provide a case of beer or a bottle of demons of your choice for the trip. I would also offer my skills in leather craft at cost price in return. I can make knife sheaths, gun holsters, belts and could probably make a stock pouch easily.
Im in Brisbane, QLD by the way and as for firearm experience I have shot 22lr varmints, 303 mkIII lee-enfield, 1911, glock, up and over 12 guage, and an f88 aus-steyr. I know my fire arm safety diciplines and treat firearms with the respect and discipline they deserve.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

I'm curious about a situation that inhibits firearm ownership. You can own firearms and keep them stored elsewhere if that's the problem. Self-storage places, gun shops, and even some clubs and ranges can store your firearms if you don't want them in your home.

I applaud the idea, but I hunt solo, as I'm sure many others do, it's not a group endeavour for me. I'm not sure it's much of a spectator sport either, if you're not actually hunting yourself, you might struggle with boredom :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: bladeracer

Post by Mortis_Hônoré » 17 Dec 2018, 5:47 am

The reason I cant own is that there is nowhere I can secure a safe to concrete or store a safe at 150kgs (very small house). Leaving me to look at options that I cant afford at this current moment such as storage units ect.

As for spectating the first few times would be very educational to learn when, what conditions and where not to shoot. Aswell as harvesting the animal properly and transporting. As for boredom, with any high skill endeavour patience and discipline is key to long term results.
Mortis_Hônoré
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 17 Dec 2018, 7:43 am

Michael08 wrote:I mean no disrespect mate, but I’ve never seen an “ up and over” before, plenty of “over and unders” though. Haha

Now if we really want to get pedantic then the correct term is 'superposed' for a shotgun with two barrels oriented in the vertical plane.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 17 Dec 2018, 9:26 am

Well Mortis, kudos for entering the endeavor with the right attitude.
You seem willing to understand and accept that you have little experience and that taking an animal's life needs to be done with precision and empathy.
Good start there, I'm probably 1000km away so the only help I can give is to suggest that you keep asking questions, even if you think they might be silly ones.
The more you know the safer you, and those around you, will be when you're handling a firearm.

Good luck with it.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 17 Dec 2018, 12:36 pm

Mate great attitude for sure, however, I think you will struggle to find someone who will take a complete stranger hunting with them.
Nowadays it is an extreme privilege to be be granted access to hunting properties and one wouldn’t want to jeopardise that by taking a complete stranger with them.
Best to make friends in person with people in the hunting community, perhaps start at your local range, and take it from there. This forum is a great place to get information but a long shot to find someone to take you hunting.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 17 Dec 2018, 1:06 pm

I can't tell if this is a troll thread or not so I will go with a legit answer...
Sounds like you just need to learn how to harvest the kill (though you haven't mentioned if you are actually licensed to shoot).
You seem to already be across firearms and safety. Regarding the ethical kill, researching the animal you are planning to hunt is a must to identify the location to place the shot (brain or heart/lung).
Which then leave harvesting the meat. I don't clean anything other than rabbits or hares so I can't really help there. Youtube and other hunting websites regarding how to harvest mean (deer, pig, goat, etc.) would have a plethora of information.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Dec 2018, 6:01 pm

Kudos for asking the Q if your legit.
As others have said - it’s becoming something of a privilege to be able to hunt in this day / age and I for one, whilst not content to kill animals for the fun of it, applaud anyone who wants to take the next step and see food harvested for real.
I think in the majority we are getting further and further awY from reality with food production- take a heap of current generations to a large processing plant and I bet many would would not cope...

If you were local to me, I’d meet for a coffee to discuss a couple of trips. Current hunters should not be blinded by the fact - we need numbers as well although I do respect that many hunters are guarded and want to protect their way of life - there is no doubt there are ppl out there whom would post similar to this in an attempt to create s**t for someone...

If your 100% legit - You could maybe try the SSAA ??

All the best with it. Hopefully, someone might step up and if so, I’d hope to see you maybe post up about how you found it....the trip, shooting, prepping, etc. I’ve found some ppl vomit, others take to it like they were born for it.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Dec 2018, 7:00 pm

Could you build your skills stalking and tracking while armed with a bow and arrow? When I was a young bloke I would whistle up foxes just for fun, I didn't have so much as a Shanghi to fire at them.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mortis_Hônoré » 27 Dec 2018, 1:32 pm

In order of questions.
1. Very serious non troll thread, I was just gambling on chance that someone would be confortable to take a stranger out hunting. Totally get it that people arent willing to especially with aus' social climate.
2. I am not liscensed to shoot, I was under the understanding that you dont need a liscense when accompanied by the liscensed owner.
3. I always forget the term for under over shottys
4. Not a big fan of bows.

Currently looking at rental storage unit for a safe storage as a solution. Cant seem to find legislation prohibiting it.
Mortis_Hônoré
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Dec 2018, 4:56 pm

Mortis_Hônoré wrote:In order of questions.
1. Very serious non troll thread, I was just gambling on chance that someone would be confortable to take a stranger out hunting. Totally get it that people arent willing to especially with aus' social climate.
2. I am not liscensed to shoot, I was under the understanding that you dont need a liscense when accompanied by the liscensed owner.
3. I always forget the term for under over shottys
4. Not a big fan of bows.

Currently looking at rental storage unit for a safe storage as a solution. Cant seem to find legislation prohibiting it.

Some states won't allow you to "assist" a hunter without a shooter's licence or game permit. You could accompany a hunter, but can't play any active role, other than helping carry-out after the hunt.
In Qld as long as you are between 11 and 18 years of age you can shoot under the supervision of a licenced shooter on private property. If you're an adult you can't handle firearms or ammunition except at approved ranges.
Storage units should be fine.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control