Hunting and ear plugs

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Hunting and ear plugs

Post by Bigjobss » 29 Nov 2018, 4:49 pm

bigpete wrote:
Member-Deleted wrote:what are you hunting that you're close enough to locate them by sound and get a quick shot off, but that hasn't already seen, smelled or heard you first and bolted? s

Really ?
:D

Haha thats what I was thinking, a twig cracking at 50m on a still day can be enough to make the difference, I owe a couple deer this year to being able to hear them.
Bigjobss

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Nov 2018, 6:03 pm

so yeah I guess that's answered my question even though you were just taking the piss ... you're talking about deer in thick country. Both are thin on the ground in my neck of the woods. Everything I've ever shot i either saw and approached, saw (or heard) and called in to me, or shot in ambush. never once been alerted by a twig snapping though.. my hearing must really be stuffed
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 29 Nov 2018, 9:57 pm

To me sight is what usually alerts me to the presence of game but once I heard a pig snoring so I zoomed in on that. On two occasions I smelt them so I followed the smell I have also located them by listening to them squabbling amongst them selves. Once I heard the sound of grass being chewed. It sounded just like a cow munching on grass. So in thick stuff I got out the binos and sure enough there were pigs in front of me grazing Another time I heard a sow gently grunting so I slowly crept fwd and found a sow 99 per cent covered in grass feeding her piglets. Some suckers under the grass feeding others were milling about in the open She was just gently grunting as she released her milk to her young. I dragged her out of her bed by the back legs and she went mental. She was huge and so strong she dragged me nearly ten metres with just the power of her front legs. Her suckers ended up in my camp oven Years of bow hunting taught me to depend focus and use every one of my sense s
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 29 Nov 2018, 10:25 pm

bigpete wrote:
Member-Deleted wrote:what are you hunting that you're close enough to locate them by sound and get a quick shot off, but that hasn't already seen, smelled or heard you first and bolted? s

Really ?

I dont see how that reply answers his question.. :unknown:
.he may not have the experience of others so an answer would be more useful than to reply with a question that may make someone feel stupid...!?? :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 29 Nov 2018, 10:46 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:so yeah I guess that's answered my question even though you were just taking the piss ... you're talking about deer in thick country. Both are thin on the ground in my neck of the woods. Everything I've ever shot i either saw and approached, saw (or heard) and called in to me, or shot in ambush. never once been alerted by a twig snapping though.. my hearing must really be stuffed

Ive never hunted deer so cant speak from experience on them, but ive been alerted to goats from their smell once, & on several occasions by their bleeting at a distance all well before seeing them... that can be exciting in hilly country with lots of valleys because you dont know if they are 1 km away or 5 metres right below you under the rock you're standing on... :? :

Also shot several from the sound of them in bushes from them reacting to seeing or hearing me first while walking through heavier scrub areas, & if they had not made noise when they moved i would never have known they were only a few metres from me... :thumbsup:

Also, i grew up with a shotgun in my arm chasing bunnies...& when bunnies are numerous enough to be out in numbers during daylight you will hear them take off from the shadows of mallee of from within ling grass & have the shotgun pointed in their direction long before seeing them.

I can only imagine as others have mentioned that hunting/stalking deer would be somewhat similar and probably more exciting to a point.

Cant wait to experience that myself...!!! :clap:

Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Nov 2018, 11:05 pm

cheers Stix. Maybe a better question would have been where are you hunting that you're close enough to locate them by sound and get a quick shot off, but that hasn't already seen, smelled or heard you first and bolted.
this DPI photo is illustrative of the sort of country i shoot in. Not a lot of anything able to be taken at 50m meters
Attachments
Jundah.jpg
Jundah.jpg (113.09 KiB) Viewed 6654 times
Member-Deleted

Post by Bruiser64 » 29 Nov 2018, 11:39 pm

I use earmold ear plugs that I originally used motorcycling. My hearing is ok because l have been in the habit of wearing hearing protection for a long time. Once your hearing is damaged it’s not coming back. I have just purchased today from Blackwoods a pair of the Peltor Protac 3 electronic ear muffs for $89 on special. They get good reviews, so l thought I would give them a crack. They are a Class 5 earmuff with a noise reduction rating of 26 dB. I mainly go spotlighting on farms, so stalking in scrub isn’t generally part of the equation. If I was doing that I would spend the extra on the earmolds with the cens insert as my hearing is worth the money.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 29 Nov 2018, 11:46 pm

Yea you wont hear much first there...but ive stalked mobs of goats in that type of open country...wind in my favour but we got within 10 metres of them & they still didnt know we were there until 3 were on the ground. :thumbsup:

Country like this is where ive heard &/or smelt goats before seeing them & got shots off to sucessfully down them from 10 metres to 100m, & sometimes out to 300 all going well when their bleeting kids give them away.

I dont get to do it very often which is a shame cos its a hoot load of fun & also feels good to crank out a physical day of hiking with a pack full of meat for stews roasts & curries. :D
:drinks:
Attachments
2018-11-30 00.02.06.jpg
2018-11-30 00.02.06.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 6648 times
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Nov 2018, 3:49 am

I recall the ole grampa taking me ferreting - you’d listen like a thief for where the rabbits were thumping under ground just before the would blast into a net or into the open where if you were fast enough with the shotty-you scored.

The bigger roo where I hunt, you won’t see them first. You’ll hear them take 5-10 jumps away from you and they’ll stop...if you can then find them in thick trees, you can commence a stalk.

Deer are just cheeky buggers in heavy terrain and they know it - don’t think I’ve ever seen one before hearing one either a cheeky bleet to put you on your toes or antlers being rubbed against a tree the very first sign your within - game on zone lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Daddybang » 30 Nov 2018, 6:19 am

Gday bruiser64
Mate let us know how the peltors go ive been thinking about a set as well. Brought a pair of the peltor kids(just muffs not electronic) for the girl spawn and dont mind saying if shes not around t I'll throw them on (yeah a little small on my ears) and they're brilliant.
:thumbsup: :drinks:

1543522626139-1190962878.jpg
1543522626139-1190962878.jpg (757.79 KiB) Viewed 6640 times
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 30 Nov 2018, 8:58 am

Daddybang wrote:Gday bruiser64
Mate let us know how the peltors go ive been thinking about a set as well. Brought a pair of the peltor kids(just muffs not electronic) for the girl spawn and dont mind saying if shes not around t I'll throw them on (yeah a little small on my ears) and they're brilliant.
:thumbsup: :drinks:

1543522626139-1190962878.jpg

No problems. I probably won’t get out shooting for another week or so, but I am going to be using them in my workshop this weekend. So I will put up a post to review them.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 30 Nov 2018, 10:42 am

Member-Deleted wrote:so yeah I guess that's answered my question even though you were just taking the piss ... you're talking about deer in thick country. Both are thin on the ground in my neck of the woods. Everything I've ever shot i either saw and approached, saw (or heard) and called in to me, or shot in ambush. never once been alerted by a twig snapping though.. my hearing must really be stuffed

Sorry mate no offence intended, I thought Pete was being a little cheeky and added to it.
Electronic earmuffs help me hear those twigs snap, bushes rustle etc. Sambar are big bodied animals and as sneaky as they are they cannot be silent, on a dead calm day you can hear all sorts of things once the bush settles around you. Once the wind gets up though the only way to hear them is if you spook one and it honks or takes off, no trouble hearing that.
Bigjobss

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Nov 2018, 12:18 pm

No offence taken mate.

it's a big country and the hunting conditions & terrain are so varied across it, I like to learn about how other fellas here are hunting in their own patch. Sambar are on the bucket list but in short supply out west.

In the open country I have for pigs, wild dogs and roos, I'll see them or they'll see (or smell) me long before we're in earshot of each other.
Member-Deleted

Post by scoobs » 02 Dec 2018, 5:39 pm

Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 02 Dec 2018, 6:25 pm

+1 on those.
Best thing is they don't get in the way of anything.
I've never had them exhaust the battery charge during a days use.
There's even a Bluetooth version for OP - if he really wants to listen to other "sounds" while he's out and about. Does suck the battery life though.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Dec 2018, 7:33 pm

Plenty of threads on this subject. Here is just one.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8277
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Dec 2018, 9:20 pm

I did read that thread previously- but it’s good to hear (pun absolutely intended!!) latest model evaluations etc.
I’ve pulled the trigger (pun again farkin intended - I’m on a role here!) on 3 pairs of of HL’s.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bent Arrow » 02 Dec 2018, 9:30 pm

JSS wrote:I just got a some cens earplugs (DX5) they have several settings and the 'hunting" and "game" settings amplify everything around you so it's like you have no earplugs and have super hearing (or you can adjust the volume to be like normal hearing), then they cut out the bang.
They weren't cheap but were the best solution to save my hearing from getting any worse, and i'm glad i got them now.

So, I'm looking at the CENS DX 5, I know I'm tired (its been a s**t couple of weeks) but I'm stuffed if I can see what their rated at in terms of noise protection i.e. SCL, NRR, SNR. Can anyone please point me to this critical piece of information? I don't mind dropping the coin on something that's the bees knees, but want to be sure these are worth the asking price..............
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Dec 2018, 5:00 am

Their test results page say SLC80 class 5
But I only checked one type. It’s at bottom of results page

https://www.earmold.com.au/certificatio ... st-results
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 03 Dec 2018, 11:00 am

Thanks OB

So I just got off the phone with Aaron from Earmold Australia. Apparently, due to recent changes to the Standards, the highest SNR rating these type of moulded plugs can be assigned is 25, even though the actual in-ear reduction is higher.

The solid plugs (no electronics) should provide a reduction of 40.5 dB at 4,000 Hz (the frequency most relevant to gunfire). The moulded plugs with electronics should provide a reduction of 34 dB at 4,000 Hz.

I like the idea of 40 dB reduction, but also really like the idea of being able to hear range commands and have the situational awareness that comes with the electric plugs.....

The plugs are made in Aus, with the electronics imported from UK

I'm waiting on some more info to be emailed through.

Cheers
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 05 Dec 2018, 1:44 am

Many years ago I did an audiogram (hearing test) for my pilot's licence. The Dr was ex-RAAF. First comment was "You've been exposed to gunfire. Your hearing curve is diagnostic."
Apparently gunfire ruins the high frequency regions. Even .22LR is right in the damage zone.
Can't follow conversations in a group situation. Constant tinnitus (PITA!). No fix.
Better to protect it in the first place. Find a hearing protection solution you can live with and never compromise.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Dec 2018, 4:53 am

Diamond Jim wrote:Apparently gunfire ruins the high frequency regions. Even .22LR is right in the damage zone.
Can't follow conversations in a group situation. Constant tinnitus (PITA!). No fix.
Better to protect it in the first place. Find a hearing protection solution you can live with and never compromise.

This is typical of industrial hearing loss. Yep look after it. Can’t be fixed.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey