Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by tom604 » 13 Dec 2018, 5:47 pm

yeah 110 gr would be fine,,i know a few guys that use them but i like the 130s :thumbsup:
User avatar
tom604
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1316
South Australia

Re: Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by Cal-ApeR » 13 Dec 2018, 6:22 pm

Yeah I thought 130 was a nice weight for fallow. I agree I know they are light framed just wasn't sure on the HP construction. I picked up a box of Speer today so we will see. Also grabbed some 130gr Woodleigh sp. I'll see what groups best and go with it.

Im thinking I would be safer with regards to meat preservation by using the SP but we will see.
I'd rather be hunting
User avatar
Cal-ApeR
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 178
Queensland

Re: Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Dec 2018, 9:25 pm

tom604 wrote:Totally agree but im not allowed to use my 223 (set calibers for critters) and the 308 is what i have,only take the legs :thumbsup:


Really a 223 isn't good enough in SA? :crazy: Must be armour plated ones down there :D
User avatar
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5821
-

Re: Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Dec 2018, 9:30 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:Yeah I thought 130 was a nice weight for fallow. I agree I know they are light framed just wasn't sure on the HP construction. I picked up a box of Speer today so we will see. Also grabbed some 130gr Woodleigh sp. I'll see what groups best and go with it.

Im thinking I would be safer with regards to meat preservation by using the SP but we will see.


See how it all goes mate, trust me the SP type projies do plenty of damage, really depends on the wall thickness of the copper as to how rapidly they expand etc re penetration and damage can also very on what bone is hit on the way in as well, plenty of variables but still plenty of good meat with backstraps and rear wheels so don't get over worried about it all, I like shooting things in the base of the neck where it meets the shoulder, they just drop as a rule.

Good luck and let us know how it all goes. :thumbsup:
User avatar
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5821
-

Re: Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by tom604 » 14 Dec 2018, 12:12 am

bigfellascott wrote:
tom604 wrote:Totally agree but im not allowed to use my 223 (set calibers for critters) and the 308 is what i have,only take the legs :thumbsup:


Really a 223 isn't good enough in SA? :crazy: Must be armour plated ones down there :D



"not allowed" as in a cull situation ,,,everything is stronger in South Aus :allegedly: :thumbsup:
User avatar
tom604
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1316
South Australia

Re: Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by JimTom » 14 Dec 2018, 12:52 am

Cal-ApeR wrote:Speer 130gr HP? Are you a fan?


I have found them a bit soft on piggies at closer ranges as they expand rather quickly, as you would expect.
Put a bit of distance between you and the target and they are pretty good.
Fairly cheap at present also. Reckon I saw them advertised for $29/100 recently.
“Shoot straight you bastards, don’t make a mess of it.”
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 933
-

Re: Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Dec 2018, 4:42 am

tom604 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
tom604 wrote:Totally agree but im not allowed to use my 223 (set calibers for critters) and the 308 is what i have,only take the legs :thumbsup:


Really a 223 isn't good enough in SA? :crazy: Must be armour plated ones down there :D



"not allowed" as in a cull situation ,,,everything is stronger in South Aus :allegedly: :thumbsup:


What's their reasoning behind that? :?
User avatar
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5821
-

Re: Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Dec 2018, 4:44 am

JimTom wrote:
Cal-ApeR wrote:Speer 130gr HP? Are you a fan?


I have found them a bit soft on piggies at closer ranges as they expand rather quickly, as you would expect.
Put a bit of distance between you and the target and they are pretty good.
Fairly cheap at present also. Reckon I saw them advertised for $29/100 recently.


Did they not ancher em? All the ones I've shot with it have just been instant bang flops using em. :unknown: I don't get many exits but the insides are just pulped like nothing else. :thumbsup:
User avatar
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5821
-

Re: Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by bigpete » 14 Dec 2018, 4:53 am

From my experiences I wouldn't use a 223 either. Every one I've shot with a 223 has run off to die,one was hit multiple times in the chest ( granted,bad bullets ). None I've hit with a 308 have moved more than 10 paces and the one that went that far spent most of that time rolling downhill.
bigpete
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1379
South Australia

Re: Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by JimTom » 14 Dec 2018, 6:36 am

bigfellascott wrote:
JimTom wrote:
Cal-ApeR wrote:Speer 130gr HP? Are you a fan?


I have found them a bit soft on piggies at closer ranges as they expand rather quickly, as you would expect.
Put a bit of distance between you and the target and they are pretty good.
Fairly cheap at present also. Reckon I saw them advertised for $29/100 recently.


Did they not ancher em? All the ones I've shot with it have just been instant bang flops using em. :unknown: I don't get many exits but the insides are just pulped like nothing else. :thumbsup:


I have never had one exit either mate, even at super close range. I have found them good at 100m or more. Like you said they do the job fine then.
“Shoot straight you bastards, don’t make a mess of it.”
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 933
-

Re: Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Dec 2018, 6:43 am

bigpete wrote:From my experiences I wouldn't use a 223 either. Every one I've shot with a 223 has run off to die,one was hit multiple times in the chest ( granted,bad bullets ). None I've hit with a 308 have moved more than 10 paces and the one that went that far spent most of that time rolling downhill.


What bullet were you using Pete? I've shot heaps of em with the 222 over the years with great success, mind you I like head shots or neck shots than chest shots (pretty much use that shot placement for everything I hunt) when the shots available. :drinks:
User avatar
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5821
-

Re: Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Dec 2018, 8:10 am

JimTom wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
JimTom wrote:
Cal-ApeR wrote:Speer 130gr HP? Are you a fan?


I have found them a bit soft on piggies at closer ranges as they expand rather quickly, as you would expect.
Put a bit of distance between you and the target and they are pretty good.
Fairly cheap at present also. Reckon I saw them advertised for $29/100 recently.


Did they not ancher em? All the ones I've shot with it have just been instant bang flops using em. :unknown: I don't get many exits but the insides are just pulped like nothing else. :thumbsup:


I have never had one exit either mate, even at super close range. I have found them good at 100m or more. Like you said they do the job fine then.


They go alright hey, bit like a hand grenade going off inside em. :D
User avatar
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5821
-

Re: Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by bigpete » 14 Dec 2018, 10:02 am

50gn sierra soft points,the bad one was that s**t wolf ammo. I'll stick to using a bigger calibre.... :thumbsup:
bigpete
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1379
South Australia

Re: Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Dec 2018, 11:58 am

bigpete wrote:50gn sierra soft points,the bad one was that s**t wolf ammo. I'll stick to using a bigger calibre.... :thumbsup:


I'm pretty sure mine were SP's and 50gn weight as well and more than likely Sierra or Nosler Solid Base, I reckoned the Nosler Solid Base were better, you heard a very distinctive difference between them both when they hit home. :D and things just dropped on the spot with them as a rule.

If it were me I'd be giving the Sierra Super Roos a run on the goats, they are 55gn and they really do kill very well. :thumbsup:
User avatar
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5821
-

Re: Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by bigpete » 14 Dec 2018, 1:17 pm

No thanks,I'll leave varmint calibres to varmints
bigpete
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1379
South Australia

Re: Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by Bigjobss » 14 Dec 2018, 3:35 pm

I shot a couple fallow with 150g corelokts out of a 300wm and they had excellent expansion with suprisingly little meat damage, one was neck the other was texas heart.

Should note I use "premium" projectiles on sambar but figured with that much grunt I could get away with a "cheapie" and I learnt two things:
1) great peformance and accuracy for intended purpose
2) would never used them on sambar, they would probably just explode and even in a heavier weight I dont see them giving great penetration
Bigjobss
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 576
Victoria

Re: Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Dec 2018, 4:56 pm

Bigjobss wrote:I shot a couple fallow with 150g corelokts out of a 300wm and they had excellent expansion with suprisingly little meat damage, one was neck the other was texas heart.

Should note I use "premium" projectiles on sambar but figured with that much grunt I could get away with a "cheapie" and I learnt two things:
1) great peformance and accuracy for intended purpose
2) would never used them on sambar, they would probably just explode and even in a heavier weight I dont see them giving great penetration


Did they exit?
User avatar
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5821
-

Re: Projectile for fallow 30 cal

Post by Bigjobss » 14 Dec 2018, 5:30 pm

Partially, neck shot I recovered most minus some of the jacket which blew out the back with a small exit hole and the heart shot it clipped the rib on the way out and left some of the jacket behind.
Below is the neck shot projectile, front on shot so base of neck/top of shoulder, both deer and projectile were absolutely pancacked. Shot was at around 150m. Would not trust this on a big a animal through the shoulder.
20181214_182842.jpg
20181214_182842.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 302 times
Bigjobss
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 576
Victoria

PreviousNext

Back to top
 
Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey