Best damn game meat ever ?!?!?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Best damn game meat ever ?!?!?

Post by duncan61 » 04 Jan 2019, 12:20 am

The second place I was doing it was a caravan park as well and people would come over to my area and watch me skin and bone out as part of the experience.The boss supplied the capsicum and onion and was happy I was entertaining people.I did so well I never asked for a pay day again
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 04 Jan 2019, 8:01 am

I would definitely target roo and wallabies if I could their meat is fantastic, generic roo mince makes a great bolognese and I remember buying some King Island wallaby fillet that grilled up a treat.

Ashamed to say but I had giant sea turtle once and it was delicious.
It was harvested legit by indigenous people during Nadoc week in a remote community I was staying in.
Bigjobss

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Jan 2019, 8:12 am

I think from memory - king island and Flinders island roo / wallaby was one of the few locations where restaurants could legally obtain the game meat for human consumption...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Daddybang » 04 Jan 2019, 8:39 am

Bigjobss wrote:Ashamed to say but I had giant sea turtle once and it was delicious.
It was harvested legit by indigenous people during Nadoc week in a remote community I was staying in.

Nothing to be ashamed of. ..I love turtle but a little bit of it goes along way same for dugong. One that surprised me was possum quite a dark meat that has a fairly mild flavor :D :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blutius Maximus » 12 Jan 2019, 3:28 pm

Yes, that is something to be ashamed of.
They are endangered.
Blutius Maximus
Private
Private

-

Post by Archie » 12 Jan 2019, 4:09 pm

If you want something really unimpressive for the hype, try whale. Fatty and boring, I tried it in Japan and why they bother with all the drama I have no idea. And to be honest I felt a bit guilty about it as well.

Not too surprised by the wallaby though. One of the best things I’ve ever made myself was wallaby bolognese, and one of the best things I’ve ever had at a restaurant was a braised wallaby pie. And that was in Australia but made by a chef from Sweden, so it’s a shame we don’t see more of it on local menus. Good to know also that there is difference between the types of roo.

The other thing which I reckon is underrated, but not really game and we’ll never get much of it, is horse.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 12 Jan 2019, 4:34 pm

Jäger wrote:Yes, that is something to be ashamed of.
They are endangered.

First off not all species are endangered (turtles)second when its handed to ya as part of a celebration of indigenous and islander heritage in the spirit of reconciliation and inclusive community thetes f@#kall to be ashamed of . If YOU choose to be ashamed of something thats your right but please don't tell me what I should be ashamed of when ya know jack about my life and how it's lived. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 12 Jan 2019, 6:45 pm

cant disagree with the sentiment, I make skippy kebabs for oversea's guests that get cooked on the webber.

pineapple get put beside the cubes of roo and melt in ya mouth is an understatement, I always let the crowd demolish the 'beef kebabs' before letting them know theyve just eaten skippy B-)
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey