Online Hunting Properties

Game and varmint hunting. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Culling, hunting feral animals and vertebrate pest control.

Online Hunting Properties

Post by Uber_petey » 01 Jan 2019, 8:04 am

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has ever actually paid to go hunting through the likes of Westernhunting.com or highcountryhunting.com ?
If so, what was the experience like? Was it worth it? Was there much game about?
Uber_petey
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Online Hunting Properties

Post by Jon79 » 01 Jan 2019, 12:35 pm

I did years ago, went to a place out in the marshes drove all the way out there and found out that we weren't allowed on half the property that was advertised....which according to the farmer/owner was where all the pigs were. He said you should still get a few foxes over here though (big f#cking whoop we were looking for pigs!)

had booked in for a week but left after 3 nights after only seeing 1 fox off in the distance, vowed never to do that again
Jon79
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 01 Jan 2019, 7:33 pm

Have the same problem with my stomping ground try to limit myself to 4 trips a year hunting pressure makes for some skittish game. Doesn't help with the illegal hunting in the forest/property. Next door is a state forest. And see many on the trail cameras i have set up on the farm randoms strolling around.

Have heard many stories of people paying for hunting trips and not even seeing a roo. Animals adapt and respond. Probably best find yourself a property and you'll be much happier.
Why So Serious?
Sako Varmint Stainless 243
Marlin 917v Stainless
Lithgow La101 .22
1917 BSA 303 (ted)
Finnish Vkt 1944 M39
Tikka T3X Super Varmint Satinless 223
Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70
Howa 1500 Stainless 308
BSA CF2 222 Remington
Colt 1911 9mm
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Jan 2019, 7:40 pm

Don't waste ya time mate, only thing you will see is ya money disappearing and ya should see a heap of flies too. :D
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Uber_petey » 01 Jan 2019, 9:42 pm

Yeah thought as much. I know of someone who went out to property just south of cobar, same sort of story a couple of bunnies, but no sign of the pigs they were after.
Uber_petey
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Uber_petey » 01 Jan 2019, 9:48 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Have the same problem with my stomping ground try to limit myself to 4 trips a year hunting pressure makes for some skittish game. Doesn't help with the illegal hunting in the forest/property. Next door is a state forest. And see many on the trail cameras i have set up on the farm randoms strolling around.

Have heard many stories of people paying for hunting trips and not even seeing a roo. Animals adapt and respond. Probably best find yourself a property and you'll be much happier.

Once I get my rifle set up I should be able to tag along with a few mates and relatives onto a few properties, and with a bit of luck start building some friendships with farmers and go from there.
Uber_petey
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by marksman » 02 Jan 2019, 6:36 pm

Uber_petey wrote:
AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Have the same problem with my stomping ground try to limit myself to 4 trips a year hunting pressure makes for some skittish game. Doesn't help with the illegal hunting in the forest/property. Next door is a state forest. And see many on the trail cameras i have set up on the farm randoms strolling around.

Once I get my rifle set up I should be able to tag along with a few mates and relatives onto a few properties, and with a bit of luck start building some friendships with farmers and go from there.

that's a very good idea :drinks:
marksman
Major
Major

Victoria

Post by Archie » 02 Jan 2019, 6:36 pm

I’ve only tried it once and found it a complete waste of money. Like a state forest the areas are usually ridiculously over-pressured, but unlike a state forest you can’t spend the time to learn the place (because it costs serious money) to compensate for it. In the states it’s common to pay a farmer for exclusive access via a lease, so he has some incentive to not shoot everything he sees himself and he’s got an ongoing relationship with the hunter. But here, if it’s just a bunch of guys from the city you’ll probably never see again, why would you give a damn if they get what they want or not...
Archie
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and varminting