Online Hunting Properties

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Online Hunting Properties

Post by Uber_petey » 01 Jan 2019, 8:04 am

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has ever actually paid to go hunting through the likes of Westernhunting.com or highcountryhunting.com ?
If so, what was the experience like? Was it worth it? Was there much game about?
Uber_petey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Online Hunting Properties

Post by Jon79 » 01 Jan 2019, 12:35 pm

I did years ago, went to a place out in the marshes drove all the way out there and found out that we weren't allowed on half the property that was advertised....which according to the farmer/owner was where all the pigs were. He said you should still get a few foxes over here though (big f#cking whoop we were looking for pigs!)

had booked in for a week but left after 3 nights after only seeing 1 fox off in the distance, vowed never to do that again
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 01 Jan 2019, 7:33 pm

Have the same problem with my stomping ground try to limit myself to 4 trips a year hunting pressure makes for some skittish game. Doesn't help with the illegal hunting in the forest/property. Next door is a state forest. And see many on the trail cameras i have set up on the farm randoms strolling around.

Have heard many stories of people paying for hunting trips and not even seeing a roo. Animals adapt and respond. Probably best find yourself a property and you'll be much happier.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Jan 2019, 7:40 pm

Don't waste ya time mate, only thing you will see is ya money disappearing and ya should see a heap of flies too. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Uber_petey » 01 Jan 2019, 9:42 pm

Yeah thought as much. I know of someone who went out to property just south of cobar, same sort of story a couple of bunnies, but no sign of the pigs they were after.
Uber_petey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Uber_petey » 01 Jan 2019, 9:48 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Have the same problem with my stomping ground try to limit myself to 4 trips a year hunting pressure makes for some skittish game. Doesn't help with the illegal hunting in the forest/property. Next door is a state forest. And see many on the trail cameras i have set up on the farm randoms strolling around.

Have heard many stories of people paying for hunting trips and not even seeing a roo. Animals adapt and respond. Probably best find yourself a property and you'll be much happier.

Once I get my rifle set up I should be able to tag along with a few mates and relatives onto a few properties, and with a bit of luck start building some friendships with farmers and go from there.
Uber_petey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 02 Jan 2019, 6:36 pm

Uber_petey wrote:
AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Have the same problem with my stomping ground try to limit myself to 4 trips a year hunting pressure makes for some skittish game. Doesn't help with the illegal hunting in the forest/property. Next door is a state forest. And see many on the trail cameras i have set up on the farm randoms strolling around.

Once I get my rifle set up I should be able to tag along with a few mates and relatives onto a few properties, and with a bit of luck start building some friendships with farmers and go from there.

that's a very good idea :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Archie » 02 Jan 2019, 6:36 pm

I’ve only tried it once and found it a complete waste of money. Like a state forest the areas are usually ridiculously over-pressured, but unlike a state forest you can’t spend the time to learn the place (because it costs serious money) to compensate for it. In the states it’s common to pay a farmer for exclusive access via a lease, so he has some incentive to not shoot everything he sees himself and he’s got an ongoing relationship with the hunter. But here, if it’s just a bunch of guys from the city you’ll probably never see again, why would you give a damn if they get what they want or not...
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey