Hunting with heavy target bullets

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Hunting with heavy target bullets

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Sep 2017, 7:34 pm

sungazer wrote:The one thing most target bullets have in there favor is a hollow point. The main criteria for them being effective is a good shot placement. expansion not needed. Then the velocity that they hit the target they will expand but its velocity and material that it hits that determines that more than construction.

Not convinced of that myself, I'd rather a projectile that is designed to do the job than use something that isn't, not to say the target jobs can't get the job done but I would think the Hunting types are more efficient when things don't go quite as planned. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Sep 2017, 8:46 am

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Sep 2017, 11:01 am

I've got two loads for my 25-06 one with 100gr Matchking and one with 100gr spitzer both Sierra
Matchking I use for dogs and they always tend to go straight through but they're dead instant pin hole in front hole 3'' at back
Spitzers I use for wild cattle never had a bull stand for more than 2 bullets using them but shot a bull with 3 Matchking (as i'd left my
spitzers at home) and he was still standing and cranky, # 4 stopped him but not out right I then shot him close up with 22-250
The first 3 hit bone and exploded big damage but from bone out, shattered the shoulder blade #4 went between the ribs heart area its
the one that stopped him
My experience with both is Matchking or ( target bullets ) could be used for lighter skinned animals but not heavy boned animals they don't like bone
For me they didn't have the humane kill factor in them too unpredictable
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Sep 2017, 12:39 pm

Their 22cal L to R sierra 40gn varminter HP the rest are 50to55gn nosler solid base game king nosler ballistic tip and v max and blitz king
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 27 Sep 2017, 12:52 pm

This is why I chose the Amax 162gn as my fclass bullet. I can practice over long distances, reading wind etc, and the Amax, although put together as a target bullet, has a very good reputation for getting the job done emphatically on game. So, I can use the same load for target and hunting, although the rifle is definitely a sit and wait rig; not for carrying about.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Sep 2017, 3:07 pm

Yeah Sungazer you're pretty well right with the old .22 but when shooting wild cattle most times you can't get a head shot
or even close enough to use a .22 Once they get a wiff of you or sight you they're on the move
Shot place is always key in any situation head being the first then heart but if a bullet explodes before reaching the vitals it pretty much
is not the bullet that is required to do so which happened in my case but with head shots the out come could possibly be different
I haven't head shot one with a target bullet as yet but its now got me thinking wether it would do the job although can't see why it wouldn't
but after my last experience with them i'm a bit hesitant to do so never know next time one might knock it down
Spitzers have always done what I required of a bullet so I've stuck with them even heart shots pull them up they don't go far
Member-Deleted

Post by Baronvonrort » 27 Sep 2017, 3:38 pm

The military have to use FMJ type projectiles because of some convention.

FMJ have been used for hunting this guy used them for buffalo hunting with a .308- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OneyeUxzL40

I guess it really depends on the species you are going for and the calibre you are using , if the gun is big enough and shot placement good I don't see a problem.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Sep 2017, 3:58 pm

Yes Sungazer good point to and one that should ring loud in all shooters ears Mighty things can be done with
small things with good shot placement
And yes if one happens to walk up on a mob of wild ones accidently while they snooze doesn't take long for the goose
bumps to appear buggars are so unpredictable they could run or up ya then its tree climbing time
Member-Deleted

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey