Pigs and Federal Powershok 243.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Pigs and Federal Powershok 243.

Post by Cal-ApeR » 13 Feb 2019, 1:33 pm

I've got no problem with ppu, like the brass for the price. Shoots horribly in this firearm though. Do agree, dirty suckers!
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 20 Apr 2019, 9:40 am

I use this exact round for pigs and it’s more than enough to stop even the biggest brutes. I’ve also used it for red stags and get full pass throughs, shoulder to shoulder, drop on the spot, and a few of these shots were at over 200 metres, so in answer to your question it will be 100% fine....
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 26 Apr 2019, 8:39 pm

Blr243 wrote:There is an old topic on this forum regarding v max that are sposed to fragment on impact according to a gun shop salesman the post was mainly saying don’t believe everything u hear. A bloke from this forum tested them shooting through 7 mm plate and recovered some of the projectiles. The results reported were the plate had holes in it and the lead was relatively intact. I’m a big v max fan the results surprised me

I used Hornady 87gn Interlocks for a long time, but they are hard to find, or perhaps not made any more in 6mm (I see them in other calibres). I have not seen any for yonks. Given the info surprised by Hornady, they are advertised as a varmint cartridge really, so I have kept away from this for this reason. I switched over to 90gn Speer for my next lot of reloads. For a pig load, either works very well. I doubt the 100gn Federal will be much different.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Apr 2019, 4:33 pm

The PPU's go alright through the Tikka 243, just leaves the barrel a bit more dirty but as Daddybang mentions, ya gotta clean it anyway.
I found them not as accurate as reloads, hey no surprise there and if they were I wouldn't worry about reloading.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Cal-ApeR » 29 Apr 2019, 10:13 pm

Thanks for feedback. Also picked up some of the same stuff in 80gr. Shoots under half inch so I'm keen to hit some smaller porkies with them too.

RJ, I'm keen to try those Speer, definitely underrated in my opinion. Speer always go good for me.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey