How did someone not get shot in this hunting video ?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

How did someone not get shot in this hunting video ?

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Mar 2019, 12:27 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wMguyWQYZs
I really wish the lion had have got hold of one of these tossers...properly like.
How someone did not get shot in the obvious panic - luck ?
Tikka T3 .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06 (Dud!!!)
Sauer 100 30-06
TassieTiger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Tasmania

Re: How did someone not get shot in this hunting video ?

Post by Kotaw » 14 Mar 2019, 12:31 pm

Shame they didn't all hit each other
Kotaw
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by BangBangSkeetSkeet » 14 Mar 2019, 12:45 pm

what a sh*t show... and that high five at the end... "yeah man, great job!"...just wow :crazy:
My choice is what I choose to do, and if I'm causing no harm why should it bother you?
Your choice is who choose to be, and if you're causing no harm then you're alright with me
BangBangSkeetSkeet
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 14 Mar 2019, 2:52 pm

Total and utter F@#kwits. :thumbsdown:
:drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Mar 2019, 3:46 pm

The reason nobody got shot is everyone held fire until a shot presented, panic or not the shots were held, good control. The incident was driven by a very poor initial shot taken whilst the lion was moving, and a poor response to the back up shot. Once the attack started the PH, in my opinion only, demonstrated a low ability to use his stopper on the charging lion. A day at the range for all concerned in this vid, and the name of the PH so I know who never to use, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Mar 2019, 3:47 pm

What would you blokes of done? I would have done exactly what they did and that was try and kill it before it killed one of them. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Mar 2019, 3:57 pm

bigfellascott wrote:What would you blokes of done? I would have done exactly what they did and that was try and kill it before it killed one of them. :unknown:

I Wouldn’t be in the situation to start with ? Nor take that first shot.
And - this is one of the reasons I only hunt with ppl I know/trust.

It seemed to me that Some of the panic follow up shots were taken very carelessly...
Tikka T3 .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
Sauer 100 30-06
TassieTiger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Tasmania

Post by Daddybang » 14 Mar 2019, 4:11 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:. The incident was driven by a very poor initial shot taken whilst the lion was moving, and a poor response to the back up shot. .

This ▲▲▲ is what prompted my comment. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by BangBangSkeetSkeet » 14 Mar 2019, 5:08 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:What would you blokes of done? I would have done exactly what they did and that was try and kill it before it killed one of them. :unknown:

I Wouldn’t be in the situation to start with ? Nor take that first shot.
And - this is one of the reasons I only hunt with ppl I know/trust.

It seemed to me that Some of the panic follow up shots were taken very carelessly...

+1 :drinks:

all i can hear when watching that video is Cyril Figgis yelling "Suppressing Fire!!" as he sprays the room missing everything except perhaps innocent bystanders
My choice is what I choose to do, and if I'm causing no harm why should it bother you?
Your choice is who choose to be, and if you're causing no harm then you're alright with me
BangBangSkeetSkeet
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 14 Mar 2019, 5:31 pm

I dont want to sound like a hippocrite, but i find that unpleasant & disturbing to watch...

Seriously what was the guide thinking.. :unknown: .idiot bufoon...fancy not taking a safe humane shot when it presents. :roll: ..clearly too big for his boots & like far too many "experts" out there put his ego infront of everyone's safety & showed no respect for the animal...!!!...in some ways he deserved to be taught a much harsher lesson there...!!!

A clear example of a bunch of "experienced riflemen" out with an "experienced guide"...all of whom no nothing about the behaviour of the animal they are "hunting".

Bunch of fukn idiots...shame the lion wasnt sucessful with his attempt at a 'high 5'...

Im with Tas...thats why i do most of my hunting on foot alone & take people in & only let them shoot from a car for the first few times...

I was out with an "highly experienced group of hunters" a few years back...i had to be partnered up with one of the highest ranking & experienced members & was scrutinised to hell & watched like a hawk with every movement i made...

The guy i was with led me right into the firing line of the group...a good 100 metres past a safe line ffs...!!!!
Again, his ego got in the way & was too easily distracted.

Far too many people mistake their ego for experience...sigh...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Mar 2019, 5:34 pm

Daddybang wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:. The incident was driven by a very poor initial shot taken whilst the lion was moving, and a poor response to the back up shot. .

This ▲▲▲ is what prompted my comment. :thumbsup: :drinks:

+1
Hence why i only take fairly easy standing shots well within range. Might not shoot as much game as many but nearly all bang flops.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Mar 2019, 8:52 pm

Seriously what else could they do, the thing came charging at em, chances are if it got hold of one of em they'd be dead, me I would have done exactly what they did and that was try and save their lives.

This ain't no wallaby it's something that could kill you with one swipe of it's paw or bite ya head off with ease.

I guess you guys would just stand there in shock and hope someone saves ya? :unknown:

It's easy to be critical of something when your life isn't in danger, not like we have anything here in Oz that really wants to kill you hey (well maybe a buff) other than that we don't have anything here that will kill you if you stuff a shot up, I guess until your in a life threatening situation you really won't know exactly how you will react hey. :drinks:

Me I'm just glad they all had the guts to stand and fight for their lives instead of running off with arms flailing in the air like soft cocks. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by tom604 » 14 Mar 2019, 8:57 pm

looked like the only reason the lion didn't connect with his "high five" was that the guide shot it and put it out of step :unknown: big cat running at you and he doesn't do a kill shot,just a bad shooter,,wouldn't be nerves,,,,naaaa never shot anything that ran a bit?? every shot a kill? never miss? remember this wasn't a deer that will run away and die 100 mtr away, this was a killing machine that wanted to take someone out with it, wouldn't want any of you guys around when jesus asks ,those without sin chuck the first stone,,id be getting pebbled before i could blink :allegedly: :thumbsup:
tom604
Captain
Captain

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Mar 2019, 9:05 pm

tom604 wrote:looked like the only reason the lion didn't connect with his "high five" was that the guide shot it and put it out of step :unknown: big cat running at you and he doesn't do a kill shot,just a bad shooter,,wouldn't be nerves,,,,naaaa never shot anything that ran a bit?? every shot a kill? never miss? remember this wasn't a deer that will run away and die 100 mtr away, this was a killing machine that wanted to take someone out with it, wouldn't want any of you guys around when jesus asks ,those without sin chuck the first stone,,id be getting pebbled before i could blink :allegedly: :thumbsup:

At least someone here gets it! Could you imagine the adrenalin running through ya as you got squeeze a shot off and then realise it wasn't good enough to put it on the deck and then the bastard gets up and comes charging straight at ya flat stick and your only option is to keep shooting until the threat has been neutralised, apparently the keyboard legends here would have been able to do it a different way :unknown:

No farking idea have half the cupcakes around here! :allegedly:
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Mar 2019, 10:22 pm

As previously mentioned - I'd not put myself in this situation to start with.
There was confusion within the first few seconds - take it..no wait wait...then again - wait..no take it...Then at 53 seconds the main shooter takes a shot that could NEVER be considered a clean / ethical kill shot from what I was seeing, the lion was turning away from him and subsequently became barely wounded. Then there were some 7 or 8 shots inside 12 seconds, all of them misses and by looking at the dust clouds from the lead - at least one looked like it HAD gone within a few feet of one of the hunters...IF this is what "adrenaline" apparently does to some shooters, I'll happily never walk side by side hunting with them...
Tikka T3 .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
Sauer 100 30-06
TassieTiger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Mar 2019, 10:27 pm

TassieTiger wrote:As previously mentioned - I'd not put myself in this situation to start with.
There was confusion within the first few seconds - take it..no wait wait...then again - wait..no take it...Then at 53 seconds the main shooter takes a shot that could NEVER be considered a clean / ethical kill shot from what I was seeing, the lion was turning away from him and subsequently became barely wounded. Then there were some 7 or 8 shots inside 12 seconds, all of them misses and by looking at the dust clouds from the lead - at least one looked like it HAD gone within a few feet of one of the hunters...IF this is what "adrenaline" apparently does to some shooters, I'll happily never walk side by side hunting with them...

Assuming you were in the position what would you of done? it's a simple question. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by grandadbushy » 14 Mar 2019, 10:45 pm

Nah i get it to BFS i was in a similar position a few years ago against my better judgement i took two blokes to find a scrub bull so they could collect his horns
I knew where he was but it was heavy lantanna country and hilly , we finally tracked him down and one of the blokes shot and killed him i went down and checked he was dead so i poked him with my 30-30 and nothing all good i turned to wave the other blokes to come down then all of a sudden all hell erupted a big yellow bull hit me and lifted me and as i hit the trees i managed to get a shot into his shoulder then i new i couldn't get away i dodged him around and around two large trees and in my mind every now and then i remember hearing pop, pop by then i had another shot at his head and connected, end of him when the other blokes came down ''white as''then i asked why they hadn't shot the thing when possible they said they had but couldn't get a killer shot because every time they tried my head popped up so they took what shot they could hoping to slow it down, so as with the lion the angle of the shots most likely were placed and managed shots and taken when it allowed
probably a little rushed but hey we're talking seconds here and you don't get time to analize the situation as you would watching it again on vidieo nasty position to be in and yes they may have done a few things not proper but all ended well
By the way the bull that got me was tipped by who i don't know usually when they tip their horns they brand them but this one was a clean skin no brand and i had shot him twice and they had hit him three times 5 all up all within maybe 20sec or so and boy was i bruised up some
grandadbushy
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Mar 2019, 11:26 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:As previously mentioned - I'd not put myself in this situation to start with.

Assuming you were in the position what would you of done? it's a simple question. :unknown:

Simple answer...I dont think I'd ever want to hunt a lion. But hypothetically ?
Mate, as soon as that guide was saying go, wait, go - I'd have to reconsider the hunt right then and there...as you and others have pointed out - It's a farkin lion and to quote Patrick Swayze - "hesitation will cause your worst nightmares to come true." Yes, adrenaline would be high, no doubt - but you have large capacity firearms and a deadly animal - there is no room for mistakes - i'd want it better planned.
Secondly, Id not have taken the shot that wounded the animal. You could see the animal was already aggravated by being stalked at close range and not going to stand / sit still for very long - perhaps a back out and rethink might have helped, but the first shot was what fooked the entire situation in my opinion.
Thirdly, I'd want a second trusted rifleman, targeting the animal for immediate action, should my first / second shot not dispatch the animal. May/may not work - but Id want the back up there regardless.
Fourth - where the fug is the big side arms on the guide and/or handlers for worst case scenario or varmint type spray or something similar...again - Id research the hunt and want to know options.
Fifth - A good pair of running shoes that would allow me to run faster than the guide...then the lion would eat the slowest member of the party. :sarcasm:

Obviously, I know nothing about hunting lions, id be doing a fug load of homework on both the animal AND the people I was going with...in all the excitement, high flow adrenaline, rushing shots off to not get killed...in my opinion, this is when full bore accidents happen...Ole mate who gotten taken down, could have so easily had a hot rifle ready to fire and as can be seen - muzzle control was not on his priority list with a 500 pound cat licking his forehead...and the rifle just got flung.
I've seen people do amazingly silly things when boosted with the "go juice"...in shooting, in hunting, in competitive motorcycle racing...it's a hell of a drug.
Having said all that and back to my original statement - I'd simply not put myself in that particular situation with those particular people.
Tikka T3 .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
Sauer 100 30-06
TassieTiger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Tasmania

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey