Given all this rain...

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Given all this rain...

Post by GojiraSteve » 18 Mar 2019, 9:31 am

Hey boys,

I'm off for a state forest hunt this weekend to a spot I've only been to once back in January.

Now at that time it was real dry (like everywhere) and I'd come on to a waterhole in a fairly quiet part of the forest with reasonable pig and deer sign around it (3 or 4 sets of tracks around the bank, and a still-steaming pig s**t the size of a coke can about 100m back into the bush).

The plan was to head back and just sit over the dam all day but with the wet weather I'm wondering if this may in fact be the worst possible plan.

What I'm thinking is that if the game have been tethered to that water source for some time then they've likely tapped out the available feed in the vicinity, and that the rain will have prompted them to wander around feeding and bedding wherever they find a good spot.

So with the above in mind plus fairly limited knowledge of the rest of the forest am I better off sticking with a real plan ie the (d)ambush. Or just stalking all day in the hopes of kicking something up?
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Given all this rain...

Post by Daddybang » 18 Mar 2019, 10:53 am

Have a look at the dam and see if there's any fresh sign then make ya decision from there. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey