Hunting Tablelands / Cairns. Screw you Trevor!

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting Tablelands / Cairns. Screw you Trevor!

Post by TassieTiger » 19 Mar 2019, 1:39 am

So, I’ve had it planned for about 2 years now to fly from Tassie to Cairns, then on to Atherton to meet an old mate for some pig hunting on the table lands. My first ever pig hunting trip.
Turns out - that cyclone Trevor has decided to intervene and given I didn’t take travel insurance - I’m going regardless...as long as flights aren’t cancelled.

So...whilst it’s an absolute bastard, it is what it is - anyone have any ideas in regards to hunting the cape whilst it’s no doubt going to be pissing down ??
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: Hunting Tablelands / Cairns. Screw you Trevor!

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Mar 2019, 2:07 am

Yeah Tassie mate if the cyclone moves in you won't want to be out pigging in it i assure you with it will come rain and plenty of it although i haven't been tracking it by news or weather forecasts so if its not too close you may be lucky to get a trip in i think Daddybang would be the bloke to ask he's up that way some where
If you do go up have a good trip

PS just had a look at the weather pattern don't look too good mate but you can always say goodday to your mate and have a few coldies
As i said Daddybang is up that way i'd check with him
Member-Deleted

Post by Daddybang » 19 Mar 2019, 6:47 am

Sorry Tas forget the cape. Even though Trevor is a fair way nth we're starting to get some very heavy falls down here (Mareeba area ) and when Trevor crosses out into the gulf there's half a chance it'll swing back down towards pompuraaw and we'll get even wetter. If the rivers don't come up and cut us off out here ya'd be welcome to come sit on my dam for a day or two and see if you can get a pig off there they've just started coming into my water. Or if ya just want to catch up and put a face to a name I've always got a cold beer in the fridge and some sights to zero or ammo to check :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 19 Mar 2019, 6:50 am

Tassie,

Maybe you could borrow a boat and go croccing instead??

A few cyclones ago, there was a property somewhere near the bottom of the gulf, and 80 kms inland. Middle of the cyclone, they had cattle up around the homestead, and a few died from eating the dry lick stored in a shed. As the homestead was a small island by this stage, the people couldnt remove the carcasses. At that point, they discover there is a pack of sharks hanging around the homestead and eating the carcasses!
There was a photo of one shark ending up being stuck in the chook pen, when the floods receded.

NEVER thought a homestead would get a bad shark infestation!
But then; they do things a bit different up there...
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 19 Mar 2019, 7:03 am

Cheers for the info/offers - I’m currently stuck in melb and unsure if the flight is canceled or not - it’s chaos. 3 gate changes already and now even the airline staff dont know.

If My flight goes ahead DB, if permissions are granted, I’ll pm you and see if our paths might cross - be great to put a name to a face, even if it’s just a quick hello.

Booked this 2 years ago lol...mate said to me then, knowing your luck you’ll get a bloody cyclone...haha. Don’t care. Life’s about experiences lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Daddybang » 19 Mar 2019, 7:12 am

No worries Tas keep us posted. And don't worry if you do make it there's still sh@tloads to do in Cairns when it's raining. The artillery museum is bloody fantastic. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 19 Mar 2019, 7:14 am

And screw you too, I've waited 57 years to have a cyclone named after me, and now you're taking my moment of glory away.

Nah, all good mate, hope you make it there, but if you do, you should probably concider planning an extented stay. :friends: :drinks:
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 19 Mar 2019, 7:21 am

trekin wrote:And screw you too, I've waited 57 years to have a cyclone named after me, and now you're taking my moment of glory

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I had mine earlier this year as well and it was a ditzy bloody thing(owen) :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 19 Mar 2019, 7:25 am

Daddybang wrote:
trekin wrote:And screw you too, I've waited 57 years to have a cyclone named after me, and now you're taking my moment of glory

I had mine earlier this year as well and it was a ditzy bloody thing(owen) :lol: :drinks:

Wasn't that the one they referred as the zombie cyclone?
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 19 Mar 2019, 7:28 am

Since when do they name cyclones after men?...I thought they were all Women’s names but I guess political correctness had to balance out...

Why are cyclones akin to divorces? They start with a little blow and end up taking your house...yeah - old as the hills lol
Bring it on Trev - I have a coat lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by trekin » 19 Mar 2019, 7:42 am

TassieTiger wrote:Since when do they name cyclones after men?...I thought they were all Women’s names but I guess political correctness had to balance out...

Why are cyclones akin to divorces? They start with a little blow and end up taking your house...yeah - old as the hills lol
Bring it on Trev - I have a coat lol

Funny you should ask that, was just now reading an article from over the pond where some researchers have found that people take the threat of weather events with female name less seriously than those with male names, and the female named storms end up killing more people; https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-24/ ... ng/6968122 However in Aust "until 1975 all cyclones in Australia were given female names, but to mark the International Women's Year male names were added to the list, because the then Science Minister thought that both sexes "should bear the odium of the devastation caused by cyclones".
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 19 Mar 2019, 9:10 am

trekin wrote:
Daddybang wrote:

Yep that's the one . :lol: :drinks:
And yeah the naming now is all about equality!! :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 19 Mar 2019, 10:43 am

Daddybang wrote:
trekin wrote:
Daddybang wrote:

Yep that's the one . :lol: :drinks:
And yeah the naming now is all about equality!! :drinks:

Sheesh...so whats next...??...cyclones will have sexual preferences & marriage rights... :unknown:

:sarcasm:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JSS » 19 Mar 2019, 2:12 pm

Stix wrote:Sheesh...so whats next...??...cyclones will have sexual preferences & marriage rights... :unknown:

Does that mean some might be Bi-clones??? :lol: :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 19 Mar 2019, 6:30 pm

JSS wrote:
Stix wrote:Sheesh...so whats next...??...cyclones will have sexual preferences & marriage rights... :unknown:

Does that mean some might be Bi-clones??? :lol: :drinks:

The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 19 Mar 2019, 9:15 pm

I did half doz or more trips to the cape usually mid October for several years running. First trip I did in June when too much water around and not hot enough to concentrate the pigs on the water. That trip was a total waste of time
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Mar 2019, 7:04 am

This trip looks like a wash out As well.
Re evaluating our plans now. Might hire a boat and head south from the wind/rain check out some sites, etc

Don’t reckon I’ll get up the range at this stage DB.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Daddybang » 20 Mar 2019, 7:28 am

No worries at all tas. What ever ya decide to do have fun and stay safe . :D :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Mar 2019, 4:53 pm

Tassie Tiger goes on a Grunt Hunt,,,,,,, and gets marooned by flood waters.
He radios for urgent assistance asking to have a Canoe and a Punt sent out to him.

The static was bad, and the reply was,,,,,,,,,, Scott Morrison is on his way,,,,, but please explain,,, What is a Panoe ??
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Mar 2019, 5:14 pm

.......and finds a tiger.....in a palm cove pub...cold beer / Long Island iced tea....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 20 Mar 2019, 5:37 pm

TassieTiger wrote:.......and finds a tiger.....in a palm cove pub...cold beer / Long Island iced tea....

Whats that...?...Scotty came to rescue you but found a tiger in a pub in Queensland drinking beer & iced tea... :shock: ...!! :unknown: :crazy:

Tass...TAS...!!...Look at me...!!

Have you been licking cane toads again Tas...?? :unknown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 20 Mar 2019, 6:17 pm

Stix wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:.......and finds a tiger.....in a palm cove pub...cold beer / Long Island iced tea....

Whats that...?...Scotty came to rescue you but found a tiger in a pub in Queensland drinking beer & iced tea... :shock: ...!! :unknown: :crazy:

:lol: :lol: :lol: good on ya stix :drinks:
A wet day in Palm cove......The pub would be where id head to!!!! :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 20 Mar 2019, 6:40 pm

dunno bout that taz . mind you, one night i ended up drinking rum with a polar bear in bundaberg :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Mar 2019, 6:44 am

Stix wrote:

Cane toad licking has nothing on the FNQ Long Island iced teas....shizzazle. They won’t even make them with full nips in Tas/Vic anymore and in Cairns they seem to be trying to get more top end in the glass - I swear they took out ice to get more tequila and vodka in!!!

Bloody hell...me ed! - I think I had 8 teas and a few schooners and...surprised im not worse than I am!

Trips not a total wash - heading to the reef tomorrow to see if any coral trout want to headbutt a spear gun. Not the pig shooting I had planned for so long but - have to adapt, over come!
“IM ALIVE, IM FIRING, I FEEL FANTASTIC” - what a bloody lie...too old for this drinkin business. That statement above is what they used to make us scream at 5am in the reserves after 4 hours sleep in the field...used to work 25 years ago...now? Just pisses off ppl in The other hotel rooms lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Daddybang » 21 Mar 2019, 8:56 am

Gday tas when ya head out to the reef are you hiring a boat yaself or on one of the charter boats? If you are going by yaself make sure ya know where the green zones are as "they" have zero tolerance and there are severe penalties if ya fish the wrong areas. Not long back a couple of visitors were fishing 50m inside the green (theyd drifted from outside) and the authorities smashed them. Very jealous ya heading out :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Mar 2019, 8:58 am

Geeezus DB! Going on charter boat - too many hazards for newbies
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Daddybang » 21 Mar 2019, 9:04 am

All good then :thumbsup: :drinks:
If this wind stays down it should be a great day out. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Mar 2019, 1:58 pm

Just back from my wash out Hunt. But disappointed but tried to make the best.

Had a few good days on reef, scored some nice fish with a local charter - BUT...decided to do a dive in Hastings reef on a proper dive boat.
3m swell going out made 50% of passengers throw up...every fukn where. I couldn’t help a single person - I don’t get sea sick, but am a sympathetic vomitter.

Anyways - jump in, swimming around, checking out under the corals - bloody awesome. Get out for 10 - jump back in...go off by myself a little and farrrrk me. I dive down to come face to face with a 7ft shark. Man, I would have over taken Jesus - I’m fukn yelling at ppl to get out of the water and swimming like Thorpe. Then when I get in, I get told that sharks are harmless on the reef and very very rare...some even questioned if I really saw a shark!!!pricks.

Didn’t want to get back in, but I did after some encouragement from a local who said sharks are so rare out there, I should count myself lucky.

Back in the water not 5 minutes - SHARK, fukn SHARK!!! This time I grabbed some tourist chick and said come here with me, your seeing this too - she saw it as well and we both high tailed it out. Again- crew laughing at us - they won’t hurt you they said...fuk em, I said. I’m on board for good - where’s me towel.

Get home - front page news...tassie guy recovering from shark attack on reef. TUSA dive? You know what you can do with your sharks? Ggf!!!

Good to be home.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bilko » 27 Mar 2019, 2:10 pm

Haha Tassie. Well done with the dive report. 7 ft is top of the range for Blacktip and Whitetip reef sharks, but they really only worry you if you have interesting aromas around you, like fish juice, pee etc. Never really bothered me when I was spear fishing as I would not shoot any fish if they were nearby.

Mind you if I was diving in your waters and saw a 7 footer it would be a White Pointer, and a frisky young one at that so I would be out of the water like a shot. :lol:
Bilko
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey