Collecting your brass when spotlighting

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Collecting your brass when spotlighting

Post by duncan61 » 24 Apr 2019, 4:20 pm

I always tilted the rifle and caught the empty brass and placed them in a icecream container next to me as if they went on the floor and were stepped on it would take 48 hours in the polisher to get the brass clean again.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by JimTom » 24 Apr 2019, 5:04 pm

As with all forms of shooting, I eject into my other hand and put into my pocket. Try and catch most but if I miss a few here or there then so be it, as tends to happen when in the middle of a mob of oinkers.
If you lose a few it’s only a few bucks here and there and I consider well worth it to be hunting.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Jon79 » 24 Apr 2019, 5:43 pm

22lr stay where they land, 223, 243 & 308 I grab as I eject the cases or collect before moving on so I can use them for reloading
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 24 Apr 2019, 8:37 pm

I am a lefty and usually the driver. With a LH rifle the brass Goes into the cab if I do not stop it with a open palm when working the bolt. Never considered it a drama. If I know I am in the passenger seat for the night I tend to pick / use a RH rifle. This is only for CF. Rim fire just goes wherever.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by CrackThump » 26 Apr 2019, 3:55 pm

Thanks for the input everyone, I reckon Ive just got to learn to go a bit slower and catch my empties. Although being a natural lefitie shooting right handed bolt action I look like a disabled T-Rex juggling custard at the best of times HAA.!
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Hunter257 » 26 Apr 2019, 4:44 pm

bladeracer wrote:
No1_49er wrote:You need something like this: -

That's what I use.
Brass catchers are illegal in NSW though.

I know I read this recently and my first thought was wtf are brass catchers illegal?
Another strange law
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey