How do these scum manage to join our ranks?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

How do these scum manage to join our ranks?

Post by bladeracer » 04 May 2019, 3:29 pm

http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/media-releases/illegal-spotlighters-caught-in-north-east-victoria-set-to-face-court

"Illegal spotlighters caught in North East Victoria set to face court
Tuesday, 30 April, 2019

Illegal spotlighters caught in North East Victoria set to face court

Three different groups of men have been interviewed, have had their firearms seized and will be further investigated for allegedly committing a number of illegal spotlighting, firearm, driving and shooting protected wildlife-related offences in north east Victoria on the weekend.

Game Management Authority (GMA) Director of Compliance and Intelligence Paul Stevens said GMA Officers teamed up with Victoria Police Officers from Bright, Whitfield and Wangaratta to target illegal hunting activity.

“Enforcement teams patrolled in areas such as Buckland and Buffalo Valley, Rose River, Edi Upper, Myrrhee, Whitfield and Tolmie, where members of the community had made many reports of illegal hunting activity occurring at night,” Mr Stevens said.

“During the early hours of the morning, GMA Officers interviewed a total of eight men in relation to offences including possessing a firearm and spotlight in deer habitat, hunting game at night and shooting protected wildlife.”

“A total of five firearms, nearly 500 live rounds of ammunition, ten high powered torches and spotlights, one thermal imaging unit and a number of dead protected animal species, including possums and birds, were seized by GMA officers and Police.”

A number of road blocks were also conducted. Three drivers tested positive for having illegal drugs in their system and will be facing large fines and suspension of their driver licences.

Mr Stevens said the GMA, Victoria Police and partner agencies will continue to work together to target illegal spotlighting in Victoria.

“Unless you are authorised to do so, deer must not be hunted at night. It is dangerous and can put people and wildlife at risk," Mr Stevens said.

“Native wildlife must not be hunted unless a permit has been attained. There are heavy penalties for those who choose to illegally do so.”

"Illegal spotlighting and irresponsible behaviour will not be tolerated. People need to make sure that they are familiar with the laws and are not hunting illegally."

“If you are travelling with a firearm in a vehicle between 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise in recognised deer habitat, you must ensure the firearm and ammunition are stored securely and not readily accessible.”

“For information on how to comply with the spotlighting laws, please check out this fact sheet.”

Hunters and the public are urged to report any illegal hunting to the GMA through its website www.gma.vic.gov.au or the Customer Service Centre on 136 186 or by contacting Victoria Police.

For more information on game hunting in Victoria, visit www.gma.vic.gov.au

Media contact: Nick Foster T: 03 8392 2237 | M: 0417 293 365"
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: How do these scum manage to join our ranks?

Post by trekin » 04 May 2019, 3:41 pm

As there was no mention of licences being suspended, and the fact that they had drugs in their systems, would sugest that they are NOT from within our ranks.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 May 2019, 4:13 pm

trekin wrote:As there was no mention of licences being suspended, and the fact that they had drugs in their systems, would sugest that they are NOT from within our ranks.

Not sure what you mean by that, but as no mention was made of them being unlicenced or possessing unregistered firearms I'm guessing they hold licences.
Thus they probably associate with some people like us, at least occasionally.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 May 2019, 5:49 pm

Farkem I say.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 May 2019, 7:29 pm

As Oldbloke says and let the law take its course it will interesting to see the outcome because up here there is a massive fine or jail sentence for shooting protected fauna so lets see but it still doesn't give a good look for us whether they're licenced or not
Member-Deleted

Post by mickb » 06 May 2019, 12:25 am

i think the less made of it the better to be honest. They allegedly committed crimes, they'll face the music. There isn't a newspaper article for the other 50 cases the average magistrate plows through in a week. Rack this up with the guy caught stealing cardboard boxes from work or evading tax on last years return.

Convince the public there is a witch on the loose any time this happens and they naturally get a taste for finding witches everywhere...

As to victorias situation, 'GMA' game management authorities, deer seasons, illegal night hunting, 'enforcement teams' prowling opeational areas- were you guys annexed by the US or something?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 06 May 2019, 12:59 am

mickb wrote:i think the less made of it the better to be honest. They allegedly committed crimes, they'll face the music. There isn't a newspaper article for the other 50 cases the average magistrate plows through in a week. Rack this up with the guy caught stealing cardboard boxes from work or evading tax on last years return.

Convince the public there is a witch on the loose any time this happens and they naturally get a taste for finding witches everywhere...

As to victorias situation, 'GMA' game management authorities, deer seasons, illegal night hunting, 'enforcement teams' prowling opeational areas- were you guys annexed by the US or something?

I agree, but it can be reflect badly on us to pretend this stuff doesn't happen. It's better to own it, and educate others to comply with the laws. Like most illegal stuff, there really isn't any reason for licenced firearm owners to be doing this sort of stupidity.

We have deer season for only one species. Hog Deer, which are pretty small, are generally in season for one month per year, with two tags for a buck and doe. All other deer is huntable all year. Spotlighting is not hunting by any definition, and is illegal in deer habitat here except for landowners culling.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 06 May 2019, 10:28 am

bladeracer wrote:[

I agree, but it can be reflect badly on us to pretend this stuff doesn't happen. It's better to own it, and educate others to comply with the laws. Like most illegal stuff, there really isn't any reason for licenced firearm owners to be doing this sort of stupidity.

I dont' own someone elses crime or claim responsibility for their actions just because they bought a similar item to me. I dont seek to educate some guy in jail because he clubbed his wife to death with the same brand of golf club I use either.

Guilt by association is never a great PR plan but the powers that be have pretty much brainwashed us into 'owning' anything that can go wrong with guns. Which is perfect for them since we then have indefensible positions any time someone goes on a killing spree, poaches deer or lights up a police station. They can then say, hey why wasn't this person educated, compliant, taken care of earlier by you guys... better ban even more stuff.

I'd rather distance myself from it, ignore it, not post it, or blame the government, or even too many computer games. Let the CEO of Sony stand in the firing line for a change instead of the shooters parties of the world.

As to the laws in victoria, well said. You guys have seasonalised deer, I had no idea of that.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 May 2019, 3:56 pm

When someone goes on a high speed police chase, every other licensed driver doesn't automatically feel as if they have been let down or given a bad name, nor should we when some dick head with a firearms licence breaks the law.

Their simply not in our ranks.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 07 May 2019, 9:53 pm

There are d**kheads and dodgy people in all walks of life, why people think they can't/don't/shouldn't exist in the firearms world is beyond me. :unknown:

We aren't special, why would or should we be immune to people who are dodgy? In a perfect world it would be nice but in the real world where we live, it's not going to happen. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 08 May 2019, 2:32 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:When someone goes on a high speed police chase, every other licensed driver doesn't automatically feel as if they have been let down or given a bad name, nor should we when some dick head with a firearms licence breaks the law.

Their simply not in our ranks.

That might be so but tell that to society when a young motorcyclist pulls a wheel stand down a street at 100mph or when two nuckfit patch members bash the crap out of someone...

Holistically, - your correct, society as a city doesn’t get tarred with the same feather, but as society branches off into small groups...? Hmmm....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 08 May 2019, 5:11 pm

bigfellascott wrote:There are d**kheads and dodgy people in all walks of life, why people think they can't/don't/shouldn't exist in the firearms world is beyond me. :unknown:

We aren't special, why would or should we be immune to people who are dodgy? In a perfect world it would be nice but in the real world where we live, it's not going to happen. :unknown:

the sooner clowns like these get the message their activities wont be tolerated the better. it's bloody hard trying to get access to private property to hunt because of the actions of clowns. there's a bit of poaching going on at night on private land where i hunt around northern NSW , and i wouldn't hesitate letting the fuzz know if i saw them . it worries the old land owner about people tresspassing on his land and the welfare of his livestock :evil: the courts need to come down hard on tresspassers ( this includes vegan clowns and protesters too ) and poaching cause it paints the rest of us in a bad light :(

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 08 May 2019, 5:40 pm

bigrich wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:There are d**kheads and dodgy people in all walks of life, why people think they can't/don't/shouldn't exist in the firearms world is beyond me. :unknown:

the sooner clowns like these get the message their activities wont be tolerated the better. it's bloody hard trying to get access to private property to hunt because of the actions of clowns. there's a bit of poaching going on at night on private land where i hunt around northern NSW , and i wouldn't hesitate letting the fuzz know if i saw them . it worries the old land owner about people tresspassing on his land and the welfare of his livestock :evil: the courts need to come down hard on tresspassers ( this includes vegan clowns and protesters too ) and poaching cause it paints the rest of us in a bad light :(

I agree :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 08 May 2019, 6:46 pm

bigrich wrote:

Agree
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey