243 win, what do you use yours for ?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: 243 win, what do you use yours for ?

Post by bigpete » 03 Jun 2019, 10:02 pm

Oooh 458 win mag !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 04 Jun 2019, 4:39 am

bigpete wrote:Oooh 458 win mag !

Steady Pete, steady mate :lol: sounds like you’re getting all wet over a 458 . :lol: :P would be handy if you want go up the territory.... :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 04 Jun 2019, 4:47 am

Bruiser64 wrote:
bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:I have a lot of guns that have been passed on to me,in this case,the 223 was my dad's fox shooting rifle back when he used it to pay off our first house...hence why I have it,and a 22/250...also passed on to.me

sounds like there's a lot of history in those rifles pete . yeah 358 tazz . a 308 win necked up to 35 cal. much more energy transfer apparently. not that the 308 is lacking . a 35 cal 225 game king or a 250 grain round nose would be serious medicine , but with the right projectile the medium bore can still kill well on lighter game . the 358 can fit in short action rifles and works with shorter length barrels like 308 does. lighter less kicking package than the 35 whelen build i was considering . do some research taz, it's a interesting caliber :thumbsup:

Have both. You know you want to. What could possibly go wrong with re-chambering to the .358 AND get yourself a nice new dedicated.243. Or the CZ in .458 Win Mag. You know it makes sense.

Yeah I had considered having both bruiser, but I only have so much safe space , and as I live in suburbia and don’t get out to hunt nowhere near as much as I’d like, I gotta keep things in perspective. As far as centre fires go I’ve got a super accurate 22 hornet, 222 Winchester, 6.5x55 Winchester, a 357 marlin for fun, and the 70a Winchester I got coming that’s gunna be 358 . That’s a pretty good spread for what I do . But my local gun shop has a jm stamped marlin 444 that’s really tempting.... :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 04 Jun 2019, 6:09 am

bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:Oooh 458 win mag !

Steady Pete, steady mate :lol: sounds like you’re getting all wet over a 458 . :lol: :P would be handy if you want go up the territory.... :thumbsup:

Great bunny and fox gun! Even got s mold for 570gn pills for it !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 04 Jun 2019, 8:53 am

I hear what you’re saying Bigrich. Sometimes practicality has to intrude. I personally have hit safe capacity too. I live on the south coast of WA and what I have in my safe covers all that I do as well. I did see a 22 Hornet for sale recently that tempted me. I gave it a miss as I have a 204, and I know I am always likely to use it in preference to the Hornet. Even though I love it as a calibre.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 04 Jun 2019, 9:20 am

Bruiser64 wrote:I hear what you’re saying Bigrich. Sometimes practicality has to intrude. I personally have hit safe capacity too. I live on the south coast of WA and what I have in my safe covers all that I do as well. I did see a 22 Hornet for sale recently that tempted me. I gave it a miss as I have a 204, and I know I am always likely to use it in preference to the Hornet. Even though I love it as a calibre.

Sometimes it’s “just because “ factor. Hornet aren’t bad cause they use stuff all powder. I load mine with 12.5 gn of lil gun . And I use the same powder in 357 mag marlin. A hot load with 180’s is 14.8 grains. However looking at the 444 , it uses a lot more powder, so even though I’m tempted, it’s a lot more expensive to run just for fun
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 04 Jun 2019, 10:48 am

Just behind the 308 the 243 is my favorite calibre. In fact it is probably my favorite just that I have to use the 308 more. It can use anything from the 60 grn to 105 grn. I like using the 90 grn Berger target bullets they really put them all in one hole. The bullet even says on the pack also suitable for varmints. Not that I rally need that endorsement as I would use them anyway. I really do go for the head shots with high confidence of a hit. The rifle is a Sako 85 varmint stainless wood version. I use a range finder and carry a drop sheet in 20 yrd increments with me. A 6 mm hole in the head no matter what type of bullet is a one shot humane kill. The calibre works so well a lot to do with velocity being able to send it fast really give good penetration. It will make a good indent on 10mm bissaloy where as the 308 traveling nearly as fast will vaporize.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigrich » 04 Jun 2019, 11:30 am

That’s the type of performance I’ve heard 243 is known for sungazer. I betcha a sako varmit is a sweet rifle
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 04 Jun 2019, 11:47 am

Bigrich, as a matter of interest,I just got off the phone to my gunsmith,and was quoted $580 to rebarrel my 243 to 358 winchester and refit the existing iron sights.. :)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 04 Jun 2019, 12:25 pm

bigpete wrote:Bigrich, as a matter of interest,I just got off the phone to my gunsmith,and was quoted $580 to rebarrel my 243 to 358 winchester and refit the existing iron sights.. :)

That’s a good price Pete. What brand of barrel is that ? I’ve been quoted around $700 by a smith in Toowoomba to fit a swan barrel. Long waiting time in Brisbane for smiths
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 04 Jun 2019, 12:35 pm

Sprinter firearms. That's the barrel built,blued, sights fitted,and fitted to the action
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey