Hunting Boots

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting Boots

Post by Cool_1 » 15 Jun 2019, 11:43 pm

Hi All,

I need some help choosing Hunting boots, I have been hunting with Gum boots i love them because they are though and water proof and i get added security from snakes etc.I have recently noticed that gum boots are little loud in bosh which is not a very good thing when you are hunting Sambar in Vic high country.
I would like to get your opinion about hunting boots and any suggestions for quite comfy and water proof boots ideally longer boots for added security and excuse not to wear gaiters. I am looking into MEN'S CLASSIC HIGH MOSSY OAK any thoughts about these ?
Cool_1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Hunting Boots

Post by xDom » 16 Jun 2019, 3:46 pm

BC93B7FF-A286-48A0-9101-B5288C074622.jpeg
BC93B7FF-A286-48A0-9101-B5288C074622.jpeg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 10036 times
I’ve got these boots, Hunters Elements.
I used to think my work boots were good but these things have so much support. Highly recommended.
Not cheap, I reckon they were north of $300 retail but I got them on special for under $200.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by flutch » 16 Jun 2019, 4:53 pm

Mate I've got a pair of lace/zip up "Rocky" hunting boots from the USA, same height as New Zealand sheep restraints without looking like them and without the noise/water ingress and mud/stick ingress. Had them since 2011 and they are Not remotely looked after and only just starting to show signs of wear, they have seen miles upon miles of gorge hiking, wet muddy salt creeks and dusty spinifex and riverbed trekking, they're light, snake proof and durable as hell, also comfy as well. Would definitely replace them with more of the same, and only cost me the same as what an average pair of work boots cost.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by GQshayne » 16 Jun 2019, 5:43 pm

In my experience, you should stick to quality brands, and from then on it is up to you to try them for yourself. I would never buy from the internet, unless you have tried them on previously. Everyone has a different shape foot, so what suits me may not suit you. Every brand is different. In my case, my old Garmonts have been great, and I am not looking forward to having to replace them one day.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by flutch » 16 Jun 2019, 7:25 pm

Just to add that you mentioned you are definitely looking at 16" or bigger boots, to take the place of wellies, definitely have a look at Rocky and Scent Blocker, the Yanks actually do know what they are upto when they make hunting gear and their boots are second to none in a lot of cases, there are at least 6 major brands worth looking at in Yankee lands, I've only had Scent Blocker and Rocky personally but they make them tough enough to take snow trekking, desert trekking and swamp mud etc... I like their size system too, usually a size behind us, so if you're a size ten here get a size 11 in their size, if you have a wider foot get a .5 size as that's their usual setup, so for me I use a 12.5 (fat beaver tail feet)
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by PaddyT » 17 Jun 2019, 10:58 am

Just bought a new pair of Scarpas-replaced a very old pair of Merrells - so far very happy- good grip, no blisters, and pretty quiet (softer sole than the Merrills)- so far happy
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cool_1 » 18 Jun 2019, 5:42 pm

Thanks guys very valuable info. Not many guys use long 16inch or so boots in Australia. I guess its US thing
Cool_1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jun 2019, 7:10 pm

My scarpas cost me about 400 bucks 25 yrs ago. That was the most $ I have ever spent on boots. But despite a half doz trips to nz looking for thar in some challenging terrain The glue connection between the leather and the sole is as perfectly intact as it was the day I bought them. How good is Italian boot glue ! I recon that they are currently showing about 1-2 per cent wear and tear and based on that rate of deterioration I have calculated that I will have to replace them when I am approximately 320 yrs old. .... so they are in fact the best dollar value boots I have ever had
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by shovtel » 20 Jun 2019, 2:03 pm

Blr243 wrote:My scarpas cost me about 400 bucks 25 yrs ago. That was the most $ I have ever spent on boots. But despite a half doz trips to nz looking for thar in some challenging terrain The glue connection between the leather and the sole is as perfectly intact as it was the day I bought them. How good is Italian boot glue ! I recon that they are currently showing about 1-2 per cent wear and tear and based on that rate of deterioration I have calculated that I will have to replace them when I am approximately 320 yrs old. .... so they are in fact the best dollar value boots I have ever had

Haha... im in exactly the same boat.

My first pair of scarpas lasted me from when I was 18 till about 35. Wore them every day for about 3 years... for the other times they were my hunting boots, dirt bike riding boots, farm work boots etc... my new pair is about 6 years old and they are showing minimal signs of wear other then the scuffs and marks.

Still waterproof etc... absolutely dependable, comfortable etc...
shovtel
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Dec 2019, 12:28 pm

Problem! Has anyone had this problem with Scarpa (GD UP) Gortex boots? These care a few years old but have not done any hard yakka. My style is walk, sit and call feral dogs, fox and cats.
Typically, the shop has long closed and gone from where I purchased these. :evil:

Boots.jpg
Scarpa Gortex boots.
Boots.jpg (240.68 KiB) Viewed 9465 times
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 13 Dec 2019, 1:26 pm

Lowa z-8s boots here, love them, im up in NQ so much hotter and these seem to be a little more designed for hotter climates, first thing I did was rip insoles out and put quatily insoles in. you get what you pay for, look after your feet and they look after you.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Dec 2019, 2:42 pm

And Am88, what do you think a pair of these boots cost me?
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by marksman » 13 Dec 2019, 3:29 pm

l have recently started to use gumboots where l expect to see snakes and get leaches,
other than that l use black runners eg... volleys for being quiet when l walk :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 13 Dec 2019, 4:21 pm

RoginaJack wrote:And Am88, what do you think a pair of these boots cost me?

probably gunna be about 480 to 500
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 13 Dec 2019, 5:02 pm

Rosina jack. If the shop has gone contact scarpa direct to see if they will help u. They don’t want photos like that on the internet. That’s product failure. There’s nothing you could have done to make that happen
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 13 Dec 2019, 6:08 pm

l've had that problem with steel cap boots that were never worn Roginajack :unknown:
l thought it was something in the rubber to make them break down quicker or something, its a pita
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Dec 2019, 8:50 pm

Thanks, I've sent a email and photo off. Will see what happens...And in the meantime I'm grounded - no bush boots.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 13 Dec 2019, 9:00 pm

I have had that happen to a quality pair of work boots too. The soles just started crumbling away, like yours have. Mine did not have a lot of use, but were a few years old. Not comfortable anyway - so straight in the bin they went!!!
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Dec 2019, 2:45 pm

Has anyone found and had boots resoled and at what cost or should I bin 'em and write to "Dear Santa"?

BUGGER!
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 22 Dec 2019, 3:54 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Has anyone found and had boots resoled and at what cost or should I bin 'em and write to "Dear Santa"?

BUGGER!

I had a pair of motorcycle racing boots resoled years ago. After that I just layered them with black silicone when they were getting thin.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Dec 2019, 9:30 am

Yeah, I'm thinking I might have to buy a box of Tissues and write a"what I would like for Christmas" letter to Santa.. :cry:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 21 Nov 2021, 11:13 am

GQshayne wrote:In my experience, you should stick to quality brands, and from then on it is up to you to try them for yourself. I would never buy from the internet, unless you have tried them on previously. Everyone has a different shape foot, so what suits me may not suit you. Every brand is different. In my case, my old Garmonts have been great, and I am not looking forward to having to replace them one day.

Well, that time has now come. :(

My Garmonts have not fallen apart as yet, but are looking not far off. But they are maybe 15 years old or even more, so no complaints from me. The last two times I have been away for a week, it has only been a couple of days before I start getting blisters. I figured it was the socks I was wearing the first time, but a couple of weeks ago I had the same problem with new Ridgeline socks. Not sure why, but blisters are blisters. And blisters are not my friends. :(

So, given the lack of any places to go to try on any of the hunting brands, I will be off to Anaconda tomorrow. Trying to look at Ridgeline etc up here is hopeless, as shops do not stock anything. They can order it for you, but no stock to look at or try on. At least at Anaconda I can look at them and try them on before handing over the dosh.

The problem is, hiking aint hunting. Hikers mostly follow trails, and we don't. So some of the light weight mid height boots look very comfortable, waterproof and breathable etc, but I reckon many of them would be lucky to last one trip in Western Qld. Better to be a bit hotter, and a lot tougher. They are a few that look like they would suit. So I shall have to go look at them closely.

These look good, but the lace loops would be better if they were steel, not fabric.

https://www.anacondastores.com/footwear/mens-footwear/mens-mid-hiking-boots/keen-mens-ridge-flex-waterproof-mid-hiking-boots/BP90177453-bison-golden-brown

These might be better in that respect.

https://www.anacondastores.com/footwear/mens-footwear/mens-mid-hiking-boots/merrell-mens-moab-adventure-waterproof-mid-hiking-boots/BP90122843-dark-earth
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 22 Nov 2021, 8:31 pm

Came back from Anaconda empty handed. The boots I wanted to look at were not in stock. It was not noted clearly, but it would seem they are for internet sales only. Even a staff member struggled to determine if any stores had them. Rather disappointing.

I shall have to look further afield.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 22 Nov 2021, 10:11 pm

Recently purchased some Salomon Quest 4 GTX. Love the waterproof factor and very comfy. Quite hot in summer but can’t have everything i spose.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 23 Nov 2021, 8:03 pm

I did not see a Salomon that I liked. My criteria was no synthetics on the front of the boot, as in my experience the burrs and sticks make short work of it. My dads Hi Techs lasted one day before bits started coming off the synthetic bits. Of course it is all different on each boot so you don't know what is tough and what isn't. So I decided it had to be leather on the front, and steel lace loops too.

So I went to Wild Earth in Brisbane. Good range of boots, and a very helpful and knowledgeable staff. I bought a Grisport boot that is very comfortable and looks well made. For anyone in SEQ I can recommend them.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Adsie » 30 Nov 2021, 6:41 pm

I like the oboz boots from Kathmandu super comfy and walking through snow for two days in the high country and stayed dry !
Adsie
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey