Hunting Boots

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Hunting Boots

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Dec 2019, 2:45 pm

Has anyone found and had boots resoled and at what cost or should I bin 'em and write to "Dear Santa"?

BUGGER!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 22 Dec 2019, 3:54 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Has anyone found and had boots resoled and at what cost or should I bin 'em and write to "Dear Santa"?

BUGGER!

I had a pair of motorcycle racing boots resoled years ago. After that I just layered them with black silicone when they were getting thin.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Dec 2019, 9:30 am

Yeah, I'm thinking I might have to buy a box of Tissues and write a"what I would like for Christmas" letter to Santa.. :cry:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 21 Nov 2021, 11:13 am

GQshayne wrote:In my experience, you should stick to quality brands, and from then on it is up to you to try them for yourself. I would never buy from the internet, unless you have tried them on previously. Everyone has a different shape foot, so what suits me may not suit you. Every brand is different. In my case, my old Garmonts have been great, and I am not looking forward to having to replace them one day.

Well, that time has now come. :(

My Garmonts have not fallen apart as yet, but are looking not far off. But they are maybe 15 years old or even more, so no complaints from me. The last two times I have been away for a week, it has only been a couple of days before I start getting blisters. I figured it was the socks I was wearing the first time, but a couple of weeks ago I had the same problem with new Ridgeline socks. Not sure why, but blisters are blisters. And blisters are not my friends. :(

So, given the lack of any places to go to try on any of the hunting brands, I will be off to Anaconda tomorrow. Trying to look at Ridgeline etc up here is hopeless, as shops do not stock anything. They can order it for you, but no stock to look at or try on. At least at Anaconda I can look at them and try them on before handing over the dosh.

The problem is, hiking aint hunting. Hikers mostly follow trails, and we don't. So some of the light weight mid height boots look very comfortable, waterproof and breathable etc, but I reckon many of them would be lucky to last one trip in Western Qld. Better to be a bit hotter, and a lot tougher. They are a few that look like they would suit. So I shall have to go look at them closely.

These look good, but the lace loops would be better if they were steel, not fabric.

https://www.anacondastores.com/footwear/mens-footwear/mens-mid-hiking-boots/keen-mens-ridge-flex-waterproof-mid-hiking-boots/BP90177453-bison-golden-brown

These might be better in that respect.

https://www.anacondastores.com/footwear/mens-footwear/mens-mid-hiking-boots/merrell-mens-moab-adventure-waterproof-mid-hiking-boots/BP90122843-dark-earth
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 22 Nov 2021, 8:31 pm

Came back from Anaconda empty handed. The boots I wanted to look at were not in stock. It was not noted clearly, but it would seem they are for internet sales only. Even a staff member struggled to determine if any stores had them. Rather disappointing.

I shall have to look further afield.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 22 Nov 2021, 10:11 pm

Recently purchased some Salomon Quest 4 GTX. Love the waterproof factor and very comfy. Quite hot in summer but can’t have everything i spose.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 23 Nov 2021, 8:03 pm

I did not see a Salomon that I liked. My criteria was no synthetics on the front of the boot, as in my experience the burrs and sticks make short work of it. My dads Hi Techs lasted one day before bits started coming off the synthetic bits. Of course it is all different on each boot so you don't know what is tough and what isn't. So I decided it had to be leather on the front, and steel lace loops too.

So I went to Wild Earth in Brisbane. Good range of boots, and a very helpful and knowledgeable staff. I bought a Grisport boot that is very comfortable and looks well made. For anyone in SEQ I can recommend them.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Adsie » 30 Nov 2021, 6:41 pm

I like the oboz boots from Kathmandu super comfy and walking through snow for two days in the high country and stayed dry !
Adsie
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey