New to Victoria but not hunting

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

New to Victoria but not hunting

Post by Axl » 20 Jun 2019, 6:24 pm

Good evening all,

As stated still pretty fresh to Australia, recently moved over from South Africa and have finally settled in, now the fun begins. Intrested to see if there is anyone else who has been in a similar position to myself? The hunting set up here is a lot more different to what I am used to, iv spent the better part of this year reading and researching it.

As a new hunter in Australia mainly Victoria how did you go about getting set up? Did you meet fellow hunters to shoot with at meets or clubs? And how is the hunting community here? From what I have read most people (who shoot) are very welcoming and offer a lot of advice.

So many questions.
Axl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: New to Victoria but not hunting

Post by xDom » 20 Jun 2019, 8:12 pm

G’day Mate, where do you live in Victoria?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2019, 8:15 pm

Axl wrote:Good evening all,

As stated still pretty fresh to Australia, recently moved over from South Africa and have finally settled in, now the fun begins. Intrested to see if there is anyone else who has been in a similar position to myself? The hunting set up here is a lot more different to what I am used to, iv spent the better part of this year reading and researching it.

As a new hunter in Australia mainly Victoria how did you go about getting set up? Did you meet fellow hunters to shoot with at meets or clubs? And how is the hunting community here? From what I have read most people (who shoot) are very welcoming and offer a lot of advice.

So many questions.

For me hunting is about being by myself in the Bush, I don't need to have any mates that hunt. A few days spent completely alone and without uttering a single word is part of the magic.

Shooting is different, and spending an afternoon shooting with a mate can add to the enjoyment
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 21 Jun 2019, 4:56 pm

I can identify with blades comments ....it might be nice to have a beer with a mate while sitting round a campfire but hunting solo allows me to enter a different zone ... I get intently and seriously focused on the search for my targets. I become immersed in my surroundings and I become a natural part of the bush as if it’s my home ..... and it’s a nice feeling when home for me is normally a dirty city full of traffic and concrete
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Nate104 » 24 Jun 2019, 4:32 pm

I definitely mirror Blade and Ble243.
For me it's very much a chance to get isolation and get back to basics. I enjoy the quiet and the tracking and finding the target more than the shooting some days. After several years of game hunting, I now take a camera on some trips and unless I see a trophy, I will take photos of the game. That way I get a "shot" of it at least.
Nate104
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by xDom » 24 Jun 2019, 5:14 pm

I didn't interpret Axl's post as a hope to tag along or hook up with others on any of their trips! I love getting away from it all as well, last trip, I didn't talk to another person in four days. He's probably the same, just looking for a bit of info.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jun 2019, 7:15 pm

xDom wrote:I didn't interpret Axl's post as a hope to tag along or hook up with others on any of their trips! I love getting away from it all as well, last trip, I didn't talk to another person in four days. He's probably the same, just looking for a bit of info.

I didn't read it that way either, I was just pointing out that I don't think too many hunters want to hunt with other people. As I said, I don't need any mates that hunt, although I know people that do.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 24 Jun 2019, 7:59 pm

If I hunt solo Its so simple it’s just me and the bush and the pigs .....add another person and it’s just unnecessarily complicated , communication/ safety , consideration, no thanks , it’s supposed to be a holiday not work
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Jun 2019, 9:57 pm

Welcome Axl

One things for sure about hunting in Australia.
You shouldn't need an armed body guard with you to do it safely here.
The natives here are a little friendlier than your probably use to.

Your probably in one of the better states for hunting as Vic has some dedicated public areas for hunting.

As for finding a hunting buddy, it can be difficult, particularly if your friends circle is still small here in Australia.

Give it time and your likely to meet someone for a hunting buddy either from a forum such as this or perhaps even at your place of work.

Personally I also do most of my hunting alone.
If you're the self sufficient type and somewhat experienced in getting into the outdoor lifestyle , youll be able to get some good area specific advice here and do some preparation, you'll be able to set off and hunt on your own in no time.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jun 2019, 8:56 am

Blr243 wrote:If I hunt solo Its so simple it’s just me and the bush and the pigs .....add another person and it’s just unnecessarily complicated , communication/ safety , consideration, no thanks , it’s supposed to be a holiday not work

I think the solo aspect of hunting is what makes it so easy for anti-gun scum to attack us, it's not a team sport at all. We each have our individual way of partaking in this sport, while they have a concerted single-minded effort.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jun 2019, 8:30 pm

I think Axl just needs the basics.

Apply for firearms licences
After 28 day weight put in a PTA and buy firearm
Hunt State Forrest or private properties, but must have permission.
There are in some cases specific requirements for which firearms u can use on certain game. Game licence may also be required.
Here is a couple of links to get you started. Just a point, you may have a waiting period or other requirements since your new to Oz.

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/applying-new-licence

http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 27 Jun 2019, 6:04 pm

Joining the SSAA or Getting a property permission letter or an Expression of Interest in hunting Feral animals on crown land ( From the Government Dept that keeps changing it name- I honestly have no idea of its current acronym) are supportive of a license application "Genuine reason".
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by xDom » 27 Jun 2019, 8:19 pm

“..I honestly have no idea of its current acronym”

I believe the latest acronym is DELWP, however next week it’s likely to have another letter in it.

https://www2.delwp.vic.gov.au/
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jun 2019, 8:28 pm

xDom wrote:“..I honestly have no idea of its current acronym”

I believe the latest acronym is DELWP, however next week it’s likely to have another letter in it.

https://www2.delwp.vic.gov.au/

I thought GMA do the EoIiHGAoCL?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Jul 2019, 4:50 pm

Think Axl has been told to piss off back to South A lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey