Rabbit numbers,

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Rabbit numbers,

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Jun 2019, 10:34 pm

Here's a thread to report your rabbit numbers.
Have you seen an increase or decrease in population and activity ?

What are you seeing?

I've just returned from a trip that took me up through central SA, Port Augusta, Woomera, Roxby, William Creek / return.

Plenty of time was spent looking for fresh signs of rabbits. ZERO rabbits spotted, 1 in 100 holes show signs of recent activity.
I've NEVER seen anything like it.
Winter dormancy or successful virus results :unknown:
Time will tell.

Even around home ( Lower Murray Basin ) the numbers have been reasonably low for a while now.
020717-Rabbit-virus-release-pic-Rabbit-Free-Australia.jpg
020717-Rabbit-virus-release-pic-Rabbit-Free-Australia.jpg (158.46 KiB) Viewed 9678 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Rabbit numbers,

Post by xDom » 21 Jun 2019, 10:43 pm

Yep, this is BS!. Went out the other morning in central Vic. Normally I at least see a few before they bound off.
Didn't even see a single one.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by flutch » 22 Jun 2019, 1:02 am

virus has them completely f***ed in WA
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 22 Jun 2019, 3:38 am

We've been seeing heaps here
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 22 Jun 2019, 6:05 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Here's a thread to report your rabbit numbers.
Have you seen an increase or decrease in population and activity ?

What are you seeing?

I've just returned from a trip that took me up through central SA, Port Augusta, Woomera, Roxby, William Creek / return.

Plenty of time was spent looking for fresh signs of rabbits. ZERO rabbits spotted, 1 in 100 holes show signs of recent activity.
I've NEVER seen anything like it.
Winter dormancy or successful virus results :unknown:
Time will tell.

Even around home ( Lower Murray Basin ) the numbers have been reasonably low for a while now.
020717-Rabbit-virus-release-pic-Rabbit-Free-Australia.jpg

We had a spell of two years without any at all, then they started to come back, though not enough to warrant shooting them yet. But now they've disappeared again.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AJB » 22 Jun 2019, 6:06 am

Not many getting around seen a few bugger all compared to Christmas time there was heaps
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by YoungBuck » 22 Jun 2019, 9:43 am

I am still regularly shooting them into double digits on each trip at one of the properties I shoot on. I think I'm up to about 100 shot there now.
I've not really seen a reduction in numbers in my area.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sawyers » 22 Jun 2019, 12:28 pm

flutch wrote:virus has them completely f***ed in WA

Ive shot close to 40 of a small 10 acre block in the last year and a half, but havent seen any around for the last couple,e of months.
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by xDom » 22 Jun 2019, 1:03 pm

YoungBuck wrote:I am still regularly shooting them into double digits on each trip at one of the properties I shoot on. I think I'm up to about 100 shot there now.
I've not really seen a reduction in numbers in my area.

Is this central Vic? Last property shoot I went in near Maryborough there were bugger all.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by flutch » 22 Jun 2019, 3:46 pm

Sawyers wrote:

Ive shot close to 40 of a small 10 acre block in the last year and a half, but havent seen any around for the last couple,e of months.

2010 through to 2015 there were literally hundreds on any given warren, 2016 half that, since i have seen a grand total of 10 rabbits and thats after covering literally more than 500,000 unique acres. as well as all adjoining roads and towns... me say they gone.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by 1Fatman » 22 Jun 2019, 3:57 pm

We went out last night and got just over 80, that was just on one property of about 45000 acres. Still plenty of them running around.
Lurking somewhere in your computer......... https://ozgunlobby.com
1Fatman
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Sawyers » 22 Jun 2019, 4:21 pm

flutch wrote:
Sawyers wrote:

2010 through to 2015 there were literally hundreds on any given warren, 2016 half that, since i have seen a grand total of 10 rabbits and thats after covering literally more than 500,000 unique acres. as well as all adjoining roads and towns... me say they gone.

The released a new variation of the calivicirus around our way around 2016 and it put a dent in them
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Noisydad » 22 Jun 2019, 7:44 pm

After years of not making time for hunting, an opportunity too good to pass has been grabbed around the throat.
Down the back paddock at work (just out of town) is pretty rough area where an old abattoir was demolished and there piles of brick, concrete and dirt all pushed up. Perfect “rabbitat” and the ground is a moving mass of grey and they’ve never been shot at!
Boss asked me to do something about it so today was the day :-)
Camp oven rabbit stew for tea tonight!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Jun 2019, 8:33 pm

Seen about a Doz or so last time out spotlighting, have seen quite a few flattened on the roads around town here and there too.

5yrs or so ago I was shooting sometimes up to 100 in one session, now I don't even bother really looking for them. might have a look in spring and see what I can find for the pot.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Pademelon » 22 Jun 2019, 8:53 pm

Well here on my place in Tas I see more feral cats than rabbits.
Pademelon
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by tom604 » 22 Jun 2019, 10:13 pm

my properties have almost none ,,,,riverland and down south ish :thumbsdown:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Jun 2019, 10:52 pm

Pademelon wrote:Well here on my place in Tas I see more feral cats than rabbits.

I’ see a couple now and again in the semi rural area near home but I see none at my bush property.

My kids played sports recently at a outer northern suburbs oval and there were signs warning of poison being used to control rabbits...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Jon79 » 23 Jun 2019, 11:11 am

Almost a novelty to see them here now
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 23 Jun 2019, 11:42 am

Yup, bunny numbers have been very low where I go.
My premium patch normally holds between 60 to 100 did a head count yesterday and only saw 25.....I dont think any viruses have been through since I reckon the lack of rain for the past 2 years has decimated the numbers.
That's why I haven't been putting up any vids lately cos there ain't a lot to shoot.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Peter988 » 24 Jun 2019, 6:59 pm

Place I shoot on in northern NSW was overrun with them in 2016/2017. We could shoot a couple hundred a night. Was like being back in the 60’s. The virus had no effect. Surprisingly though, myxo popped up again last year and decimated them. They are slowly coming back. Got 50 odd in a few hours spotlighting last week.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ThumbNT » 26 Jul 2019, 12:20 pm

been hunting down south near Wandering here in WA

last 3 trips we've seen 4 on a 250 acre property, shot zero.

heard some howling late pm/early am, my guess some feral dogs.

Was in Kalbarri in October 2018, got about 6 in half an hour.
ThumbNT
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Cooper » 01 Aug 2019, 7:10 pm

Hadn’t had many about. Went on the motorbike to check on the horses tonight. Saw 3 or 4 in a 1km ride. Hadn’t been seeing anying.

It is the the 1st of August and also saw a black snake out. Had frosts last two nights. Fairly sunny days. But was quite late in the evening about 5.30pm and the sun was down! Seems a bit early
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 01 Aug 2019, 7:16 pm

Cooper wrote:Hadn’t had many about. Went on the motorbike to check on the horses tonight. Saw 3 or 4 in a 1km ride. Hadn’t been seeing anying.

It is the the 1st of August and also saw a black snake out. Had frosts last two nights. Fairly sunny days. But was quite late in the evening about 5.30pm and the sun was down! Seems a bit early

Mate that snake must be related to those magpies that arc up during the night...
Or he's in BIG trouble coming home from the pub that late...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Heretic » 11 Aug 2019, 9:00 pm

Seen a couple in state forests but hardly any South or North of Sydney on private property.
Was only a few short years ago that I could fill a couple of eskys in an arvo, now won't shoot them and hope the numbers bounce back.
Calici virus AKA Rabbit Haemorrhagic Virus is very effective and has decimated rabbits in the Hunter region.
Heretic
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 12 Aug 2019, 8:02 am

Only recently I saw a single young rabbit about 10 k's away from my place in the Young Cowra area of NSW. Otherwise I haven't seen any in the area for at least 10 years.
Hares yes, rabbits no.
But I have been told that not too far east in the Boorawa to Crookwell districts there are shootable numbers.
We still see many around Sydney but even daydreaming about shooting any of them would get a visit from the Tactical Response Group.
It's my suspicion that the calici virus will be very effective in some climatic zones and less so in other climatic zones.
I will probably be pushing up daisies by the time rabbits develop a resistance.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Faedy » 12 Aug 2019, 11:45 pm

Ive got a property near Boyup Brook in WA - perfect rabbitat, but lucky to see one or two out spotlighting. - the virus has nailed them
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 13 Aug 2019, 8:52 am

straightshooter wrote:I will probably be pushing up daisies by the time rabbits develop a resistance.

Our rabbits have been decimated by calici, however, we have two, father and daughter, that seem to be immune to it. Another breeder brought out one of his girls to spend a week with our bloke, but nothing came of it. We have six youngsters now and we're hoping at least some mìght survive the next release.

Calici is a horrible death for them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Aug 2019, 9:10 am

bladeracer wrote:
straightshooter wrote:I will probably be pushing up daisies by the time rabbits develop a resistance.

Our rabbits have been decimated by calici, however, we have two, father and daughter, that seem to be immune to it. Another breeder brought out one of his girls to spend a week with our bloke, but nothing came of it. We have six youngsters now and we're hoping at least some mìght survive the next release.

Calici is a horrible death for them.

It definitely is.

Anyone who thinks that shooting animals for pest control is cruel should be made to watch animals die from poison and disease.

Normally you don't get to see the full effects of calicivirus like you did because unlike a pet rabbits or farmed rabbits, wild rabbits tend to die in their Warrens by bleeding from every orifice and drowning in their own blood.... nice

I'd choose the bullet thanks.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Aug 2019, 1:43 pm

Declining numbers around the Euroa area of Vic, we would shoot up to 100 back in the late 90's to early 2000 after that it has become a downhill road, last year I took 3 during the whole season, or what I call a season Nov-Jan. But they are out there in pockets, a friend shot 80 on a 3 acre chicken farm down Gippsland, so they are about but only in pockets and those pockets are not where I hunted most of my adult life, very sad but the virus is definitely taking it's toll.
Member-Deleted

Post by Ricochet » 27 Aug 2019, 4:59 pm

I'm just over the boarder from ACT, seen bugger all over winter, but have seen a few little spring bunnies popping up. If the damn licence aint approved soon I'll have to get the bow out.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey