Sambar hunting with the 270win

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Sambar hunting with the 270win

Post by Goose#24 » 29 Jun 2019, 9:14 pm

Gday all!
So I'm finally doing my first Vic sambar hunt this October. but I'm stumped on what would be the best factory ammo to be running to drop these tough animals using the 270win.

My initial plan was to use 150gn remington core lokts, but upon talking to a few mates they are saying the 130gn barnes vor-tx would be a better option.

So I guess my question is does anyone have any experience in sambar hunting with the 270win that can give me some bullet advice on what worked for them and is the 20gn difference going to make any real diference?
Cheers guys!
Goose#24
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Sambar hunting with the 270win

Post by flutch » 30 Jun 2019, 6:18 am

depends are you going for a stag and antlers or going for meat? anything from a 270 in the head will fill the freezer, but yeah donkeys are bigger than deer and they take a s**t when hit with almost anything 130gn from a 270... honestly dont think you can go wrong, IF I was doing it and looking to put a Stag in the freezer I would be using some monolithic thing... or something that is not designed to turn into 1000 lead pieces when it goes in.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Goose#24 » 30 Jun 2019, 8:16 am

flutch wrote:depends are you going for a stag and antlers or going for meat? anything from a 270 in the head will fill the freezer, but yeah donkeys are bigger than deer and they take a s**t when hit with almost anything 130gn from a 270... honestly dont think you can go wrong, IF I was doing it and looking to put a Stag in the freezer I would be using some monolithic thing... or something that is not designed to turn into 1000 lead pieces when it goes in.

Going for both to be honest, antlers and meat. Cheers for the advice also mate!
Goose#24
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jun 2019, 10:38 am

From what i understand plenty drop with 130s. Its all about hitting vitals. But me, i would go 150
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Goose#24 » 30 Jun 2019, 11:18 am

Cheers guys,
The next question would be any is there any benefits between a 150gn lead projectile that will loose say 40% of its weight upon impact against a 130gn all copper/lead free projectile that will retain 90-100% of its weight?
I know I'm probably over thinking things as a whole, and with the right placement shouldn't have to many dramas.
Just like to hear people opinions on it.
Goose#24
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jun 2019, 12:20 pm

Goose#24 wrote:I know I'm probably over thinking things as a whole, and with the right placement shouldn't have to many dramas.

Yep. You are. There are a lot of unknowns such as animal size, distance, bullet speed, hit the shoulder or ribs or no bones.
Any controlled expansion bullet will do the job. Corlok or interlok are ok. But if your keen spend a bit more. Just forget about arse or raking shots. Direct into the boiler room or neck only.

303, 270, 308, 3006. All do the job.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Goose#24 » 30 Jun 2019, 12:25 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Goose#24 wrote:I know I'm probably over thinking things as a whole, and with the right placement shouldn't have to many dramas.

Yep. You are. There are a lot of unknowns such as animal size, distance, bullet speed, hit the shoulder or ribs or no bones.
Any controlled expansion bullet will do the job. Corlok or interlok are ok. But if your keen spend a bit more. Just forget about arse or raking shots. Direct into the boiler room or neck only.

303, 270, 308, 3006. All do the job.

Cheers mate! Will look into it.
Goose#24
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by flutch » 30 Jun 2019, 3:29 pm

only advantage on soft skinned animals like deer using monolithic lead free is no lead in your meat... which is always good
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jun 2019, 4:28 pm

flutch wrote:only advantage on soft skinned animals like deer using monolithic lead free is no lead in your meat... which is always good

The reality is,
It will just pass through your system and you absorb SFA.

BREATHING THE FUME OR EATING IS REGULARLY is a different story.

For Young children and pregnant mothers it really is a no no. Effects the childs or fetuses brain/intelegence long term.

Its all about the dosage.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 02 Jul 2019, 6:04 pm

Who ever is worrying about lead in their meat is really overthinking it. There is just no way that lead from the bullet is going to end up in the rump and back legs if shot in the chest. It would still be nearly impossible for any to end up in the back straps. The only place there may be a slight chance in in the eye fillets. When cutting up the meat and making steaks you are going to find any particles. Meat around any bullet or fragment is very easily recognizable.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigrich » 02 Jul 2019, 6:39 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
flutch wrote:only advantage on soft skinned animals like deer using monolithic lead free is no lead in your meat... which is always good

The reality is,
It will just pass through your system and you absorb SFA.

BREATHING THE FUME OR EATING IS REGULARLY is a different story.

For Young children and pregnant mothers it really is a no no. Effects the childs or fetuses brain/intelegence long term.

Its all about the dosage.

your right OB, it's all about the dosage . things should be fine if it's shot once :P

i like the new avatar OB . where do you find "uncle fester" pics ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jul 2019, 7:14 pm

Siegfried, Szisz is Kaos, vee do not give away our seakrets here.

Control mite bee listining.

PS. Ziss is my family photo. Hoo is "festa".
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 02 Jul 2019, 7:26 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Siegfried, Szisz is Kaos, vee do not give away our seakrets here.

Control mite bee listining.

PS. Ziss is my family photo. Hoo is "festa".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: good on ya . oops, gud on u dumbkoff ! ya ?

i thought it was about time i got a avatar myself. it was down to seigfried or sargent shultz :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jul 2019, 7:30 pm

:clap: :clap:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Goose#24 » 02 Jul 2019, 8:04 pm

I'm not to worried about using lead bullets, I was just uncertain if there is any benefits to using lead free?
Goose#24
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 02 Jul 2019, 8:37 pm

Goose#24 wrote:I'm not to worried about using lead bullets, I was just uncertain if there is any benefits to using lead free?

just dont listen to much to the anti's and salesmen Goose#24
your doing it right asking if anyone has any experience :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Goose#24 » 02 Jul 2019, 8:56 pm

marksman wrote:
Goose#24 wrote:I'm not to worried about using lead bullets, I was just uncertain if there is any benefits to using lead free?

Cheers mate!
there is a large price difference between the two, and I'm happy to pay the $104 a box for the barnes if they live up to the name!
All of the lead free ammo in the 270 are 130gn, so I dont want to go spend the money if the 150gn lead bullets are going to be the better option.
Goose#24
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by flutch » 03 Jul 2019, 2:49 am

sungazer wrote:Who ever is worrying about lead in their meat is really overthinking it. There is just no way that lead from the bullet is going to end up in the rump and back legs if shot in the chest. It would still be nearly impossible for any to end up in the back straps. The only place there may be a slight chance in in the eye fillets. When cutting up the meat and making steaks you are going to find any particles. Meat around any bullet or fragment is very easily recognizable.

found it plenty of times, no thanks you.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Jul 2019, 5:08 am

sungazer wrote:Who ever is worrying about lead in their meat is really overthinking it. There is just no way that lead from the bullet is going to end up in the rump and back legs if shot in the chest. It would still be nearly impossible for any to end up in the back straps. The only place there may be a slight chance in in the eye fillets. When cutting up the meat and making steaks you are going to find any particles. Meat around any bullet or fragment is very easily recognizable.

I’ve seen bullet fragments in the most unbelievable places in some animals, a long distance from entry wound, after a kill shot...yes - back end after a chest shot.
once the bullet deflects off a bone - it could literally end up almost anywhere within the carcas...that being said, it is pretty easy to see when dressing the meat.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jul 2019, 7:02 am

Sheesh. If you cut out the bruised meat you will remove 95% of lead and copper
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jul 2019, 7:06 am

Slightly off topic.GIF
Slightly off topic.GIF (10.97 KiB) Viewed 5385 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Goose#24 » 03 Jul 2019, 8:27 am

Oldbloke wrote:
Slightly off topic.GIF

Seems to happen :lol:
But there is obviously some opinions around using lead bullets for meat harvest. :drinks:
Goose#24
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 03 Jul 2019, 12:00 pm

Goose#24 wrote:
marksman wrote:

Cheers mate!
there is a large price difference between the two, and I'm happy to pay the $104 a box for the barnes if they live up to the name!
All of the lead free ammo in the 270 are 130gn, so I dont want to go spend the money if the 150gn lead bullets are going to be the better option.

IMHO they are not worth the price, they do cause lost animals because of pin holing, the animal running a mile and you not finding it
the idea is the same as bow hunting in that you want the bullet to exit so the animal will bleed out, I know they work emphatically for some people
but the way the bullet is made to work has a big bearing on what you are doing
I have been shooting sambar with berger 165gr hunting bullets (head/neck shots) but I did not want the bullet to keep going after hitting the animal because I was shooting under a populous place permit, this is how they fragmentate, for the shots I am doing I cant rate them higher

for a comparison here is a photo of sierra gamekings how they work

I shoot animals mainly for meat and I do not like the idea of eating lead,
that's why I would rather head/brain shoot and take the whole beast home to eat :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Goose#24 » 03 Jul 2019, 12:33 pm

marksman wrote:
Goose#24 wrote:
marksman wrote:

Cheers mate!

IMHO they are not worth the price, they do cause lost animals because of pin holing, the animal running a mile and you not finding it
the idea is the same as bow hunting in that you want the bullet to exit so the animal will bleed out, I know they work emphatically for some people
but the way the bullet is made to work has a big bearing on what you are doing
I have been shooting sambar with berger 165gr hunting bullets (head/neck shots) but I did not want the bullet to keep going after hitting the animal because I was shooting under a populous place permit, this is how they fragmentate, for the shots I am doing I cant rate them higher

for a comparison here is a photo of sierra gamekings how they work

I shoot animals mainly for meat and I do not like the idea of eating lead,
that's why I would rather head/brain shoot and take the whole beast home to eat :drinks:

Cheers mate appreciate it! this is the kind of info I'm after, and really sheds some light on how much people that use barnes ammo talk it up! :lol:
Goose#24
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 03 Jul 2019, 7:19 pm

the barnes bullets do have there place and in the right hands are deadly
IMHO its more about shot placement, anything in the brain puts them down bang flop
its what works for me :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey