Shooting in the rain

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Shooting in the rain

Post by Stix » 09 Jul 2019, 10:51 pm

Hmmm...now there's a point...(not that id know, but im sure ive seen it on film somewhere...)

Have you\ tried it, or seen it done Brett...?

Maybe the sucess of this has got something to do with the pressure (lets call it atmospheric pressure) in the chamber, around the bullet, throughout the barrel & beyond, all being equal... :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Jul 2019, 10:59 pm

brett1868 wrote:And yet many guns will fire fine when fully submerged....

There is some pretty good footage of an AK47 firing submerged in a swimming pool, the pressure wave precedes the bullet. The slo mo shows this clearly.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 09 Jul 2019, 11:41 pm

Search "shooting underwater" on YouTube and there's huge amounts there, "SmarterEveryDay" has some good slow motion stuff. Would be interesting to see the difference full submersion compared to a half full barrel would behave. Given the low viscosity of water compared to oil I'd expect the shock wave in front of the projectile to force it out whereas oil would tend to stick. The other thought is why would the barrel which is reasonably hard deform and not the projectile, maybe they both do to an extent. Either way, I prefer to use condoms to protect the muzzle as they'll cover a brake and can be bought in most public toilets. Just be sure to use new ones... :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 10 Jul 2019, 1:07 am

You are "different".....!!!!!

I'll just be careful going into public toilets....
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 10 Jul 2019, 11:16 am

SCJ429 wrote:
brett1868 wrote:And yet many guns will fire fine when fully submerged....

There is some pretty good footage of an AK47 firing submerged in a swimming pool, the pressure wave precedes the bullet. The slo mo shows this clearly.

I cannot imagine firing a fully submerged rifle/etc. It goes against all the "full-bore-lore" that said, "Keep your cartridges and chamber dry". The reason was that wet ammo increases backthrust on locking lugs as well as changing the elevation of the point of impact.
However, I am more than willing to listen to opposing opinions :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 10 Jul 2019, 12:11 pm

Apollo wrote:You are "different".....!!!!!

I'll just be careful going into public toilets....

Yep and also "Special" :lol: :lol:
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey