How to Butcher up a (Medium/small Fallow) carcass

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: How to Butcher up a (Medium/small Fallow) carcass

Post by pomemax » 13 Jan 2020, 10:33 pm

pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 13 Jan 2020, 10:42 pm

Well im a little woried...

I got one the other night...

It was a good while before chilling... :problem: ...no...it was a long while... :thumbsdown:

its quartered & in the fridge for now...ill wait a couple of days & see how it is.

I think it'll be ok,.or maybe i say that from a hope or denial point of view...not sure... :unknown: ... although the skin got quite warm after getting it off so i expect to loose a bit of fur out of it (it really is a beautiful fur...!!!), but hopefully the meat is ok.

Where i was, actually do have the option to get it in a chiller at the latest by the next morning, but its a 1.5 hr drive back there, & right now i couldnt get back for 2 weeks, so i took it home...i also dont trust that someone wouldnt help themselves to it either, as i really dont know them... :unknown:

I get what you mean by smelly...its certainly letting go of a little pungency by the time it made the fridge... :problem:

Out of curiosity...how long is too long out of the cold for you guys...?
Actually...scratch that--i guess youre already answered that, & im hoping you'll come back with a more suitable answer that suits this situation... :lol: :unknown:

It was a Fallow doe...my best guess is she was young & just come on 'adult'--lets call it 18yo in human terms......was all by herself & not going anywhere...no young with her...maybe someone already shot them---although she wasnt at all milky or any signs of recent milky titty action... :lol:

Thanks... :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 18 Jan 2020, 11:51 am

you would know if the meat went off Stix it will go green, slimy and stinky :thumbsdown:

dont leave it for too long get butchering :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 18 Jan 2020, 11:54 am

pomemax wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d9aQ5mMXv8
well worth the watch Stix

he's not a bad butcher well worth the watch but hes a s**t shot, you can see why head shooting is better :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey