How to Butcher up a (Medium/small Fallow) carcass

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

How to Butcher up a (Medium/small Fallow) carcass

Post by Stix » 08 Jul 2019, 1:44 pm

Ok...so i need to butcher up these small Fallow quick smart...

Hoping you guys can tell me the best way to cut it up...or...how you do it...???

Im really not a butcher, & all i know is peeling off shoulders, popping ball joints to cut off back legs, & back straps & fillets...

Is there a better way...different cuts to consider...etc..??

I have the standard tools--knives, secateurs (hand & pole pruners) recipro saw if needed...

This was a "supermarket hunt". :D ..meaning they were opportunistically head/brain shot under light (not "traditionally hunted"), & so ive retained all meat right up to & including the neck as well, so i have entire animals without bruising or damaged meat.

I really need to get these in the fridge so dont have time to trundle through days worth of self-indulgent im excellent at everything lots of dribble youtube vids to find a good one...
So if you have a link to any straight to the point vids you think are good & or have helped you, ill be happy to see them too...

Thanks in advance...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: How to Butcher up a (Medium/small Fallow) carcass

Post by Bent Arrow » 08 Jul 2019, 1:53 pm

If you have netflix, Steven rinella has a couple of really good ideos on exactly this, from whole animal to specific cuts in the meat eater series.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by marksman » 08 Jul 2019, 1:58 pm

what no pics Stix :unknown:

not a lot to worry about in this weather Stix

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... #kpvalbx=1
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 08 Jul 2019, 2:09 pm

Don’t wordy about cuts.
Gut, skin and drive a stainless rod through the neck and out the bum.

Light a contained fire longer than the deer 4ft maybe.. Wait for fire to settle to coals.

Drive two forks into the ground either side of fire so forks are 3-4ft above fire coals.
Lay deer into forks and get out the butter...turn and baste every 15 mins for 6 hours.(I throw garlic, pepper for first couple hours, light dust of keens curry powder, next hour and salt / garlic for last couple hours). It’s lean meat as you can see so basting is important.
I also try and use same type of wood throughout the 6 hours to keep consistent - too much smoke will dry it out.

Let me know when you start, I’ll book a flight and bring some cold beer ;-)
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 08 Jul 2019, 2:33 pm

Dont have Netflix at the moment BA... :thumbsdown:
Although i do recall seeing one of those episodes a litle over a year ago when i did have it...was good to watch... :thumbsup:

Pics will last longer than the meat & skins Marksman...(it is pretty warm over here for the time of year)...

Ill put some up later when i have time...maybe ill try add a little animation to the story for the box office--looking back it was a funny little few minutes...
And probably not much to see in the pics, couple of baby fallow with hollows where their brain once was.. ;)

Thanks for that vid--rekon ive seen that before--you might have linked it up here previously--or someone else...?...(i dont have a bone saw though & no spare hack saw blades so im stuck with the recipro for bones)

Glad im single...might clear off the kitchen table & do it tonight... :lol:
I am a carpenter so i have a couple of top notch sanders to re-finish the table... :thumbsup:

Keep the advice & tips coming...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 08 Jul 2019, 2:48 pm

Tassie...i strongly suggest you don't dare rock up here without a couple of decent sized bottles of you know what stuffed somewhere in your bags...!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 08 Jul 2019, 3:25 pm

hey Stix you are a chippy are you not :unknown:

you will have to have a good sharp saw to use, there are no rules when you own a mincer :thumbsup:

just make sure you clean the saw before you use it and I put olive oil on mine after cleaning it :drinks: mine is named irwin :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Jul 2019, 3:32 pm

Myself ... I cut all 4 legs off, take the back straps and leave the rest for Mother Nature.

I'll cut steaks from a leg or two and roast the others whole.

CBF with any fiddly little cuts, their not worth the time.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Jul 2019, 6:51 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Myself ... I cut all 4 legs off, take the back straps and leave the rest for Mother Nature.

I'll cut steaks from a leg or two and roast the others whole.

CBF with any fiddly little cuts, their not worth the time.

Same here, just knock the wheels of em, out with the straps and I like turning mine into schnitzels. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Pudlux » 08 Jul 2019, 7:48 pm

Have a look on youtube - The Bearded Butchers. Process well explained and easy to follow along. You can pause and rewind as desired.
Good Luck
Pudlux
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jul 2019, 10:11 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 09 Jul 2019, 4:24 pm

Thanks for the links...

First one mostly done last night--pics below...

But..
A horrible smell--well started a sharp smell in the feild & got worse...just figured it was a bit of cow poop in the fur, but it seems not... :unknown:

Finally narrowed it down to what i think is the wind pipe...didnt remove the throat/wind-food pipe from the neck in the feild-just cut it off...

The smell is disgusting actually--now the neck & inside of upper chest cavity absolutely wreak so they are kept seperate from the rest--which ill bag up tonight.

So, anyone experienced this stench before--is it likely to be the food pipe...?
If so, is it worth washing the last bits of meat (upper cavity/neck) to get rid of taint...?..or is this now dog food...?

There was a decent bit of blood in chest cavity despite being head shot, so i obviously didnt bleed them soon enough (taking pics :roll:)...but i cant imagine the blood smelling like this... :unknown:

So far...
2019-07-09 15.09.40.jpg
2019-07-09 15.09.40.jpg (317.4 KiB) Viewed 6761 times

2019-07-09 15.10.11.jpg
2019-07-09 15.10.11.jpg (313.17 KiB) Viewed 6761 times

This is most of the carcass done...
2019-07-09 15.11.18.jpg
2019-07-09 15.11.18.jpg (403.92 KiB) Viewed 6761 times

Had to do the racks...lol...just to make the most of the energy from first deer carcass being a novelty--no doubt every subsequent carcass will be a chore...
Not frenching them out though...!!
2019-07-09 15.12.26.jpg
2019-07-09 15.12.26.jpg (83.57 KiB) Viewed 6761 times

And a special thanks to Clive Palmer--his election posters are far better than all the others & gave my table great protection & made for an easy clean-up...straight outside & quick hose off...you beauty Clive... :thumbsup:

Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 09 Jul 2019, 9:23 pm

watch the vid Oldbloke put up from the ssaa guy
he gives a good idea of what you should be doing with the windpipe
the guy did fark it up on the anus as he cut through the s**t tube but he sorted it, he has the idea but is a bit agricultural
I imagine leaving the windpipe in has let the undigested grass in it ferment and smell pretty bad, it may taint that part
IMO you do need to field dress pretty quickly and cleanly, I like it done within 15-30 minutes of the animal being shot
you dont need to cut through the pelvis like you do with a rabbit Stix but I would say you have done a great job
:clap: :clap: :clap: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 09 Jul 2019, 11:29 pm

Thanks Marksman...

Yes ive since watched the vid OB put up a (& have also seen that before),...if you think that bloke is a bit agricultural, im dam glad you werent out watching me...!!! :lol: Mr Bean eat your heart out...!!!
The kill was opportunistic as i said--un-planned, so i didnt really 'study' for it before the test so to speak..& the other guy i was with helped-or did most of the guts bit anyway which i was grateful for... :)

Its the first time ive ever done a full carcass (not including the rabbits you can tell ive obviously done from how ive split the pelvic bone--but they dont count as a carcass in my book)...ive only ever done the legs n straps...(Obviously).

I figured i may as well do the pelvic bone while i was there as i had the pole pruners in the car...next time ill leave them alone...

I rekon it took half hour to just gather myself & get heart rate back to normal, find my brass, get initial pics done & drag the sisters body back over to where her brother lay...so they were certainly pretty pressurised by the time got to emptying them.

I can see after mostly following the vid you linked, how after doing a few you could get the hang of this caper pretty quick... :thumbsup:
Its really not anywhere as intimidating as it looks...glad i gave it a crack...!!!
And id encourage anyone else who's thinking of trying a carcass to give it a crack...a hacksaw, couple of knives, a steel, a roll of bags & a shelf cleared in the fridge..!!
Hopefully i do a better job on the second...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 10 Jul 2019, 11:10 am

I dont follow the way the guy on the link processes the fallow exactly but it is a good way of getting it done and explains it a lot better than I can
although I own a meat saw my favorite saw for hacking away is a dewalt reciprocating saw, it's really all you need to cut bone, make chops ect
I have an irwin wood saw for cutting through the spine to quarter the animal a hack saw's teeth are to small, makes a lot of work
I do not wash any meat down either although I dont see a problem with a bit of a wash, if you get any gut wastage on any meat it needs to be trimmed off because if there is a problem washing it will spread it, the trick is not to cut what you are not supposed to and trim dry or bloody waste away, use a good gut hook and proper butcher knives for field dressing, makes a better job and easier, the cable trick is a good idea I just use cord to tie ends up
I like the way you have taken the whole thing home and used it all :thumbsup:
cant wait for the post on how it tastes mate well done :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 10 Jul 2019, 12:50 pm

Well i did follow most of the cuts in the link you posted...except my back straps are not cut into steaks & i have racks...yep...poshy racks...thought id try being rich & toffy for a night...lol
Also, these are small bodies so my rumps will end up as diced in a stew i dare say.
...And i dont have much to be diced & sweet FA for mince ... :thumbsdown: ..mostly cos.ive lost the flaps & upper chest cavity of the stinky one, but some dogs will think im gods gift & the farmers 2 new pups will love a visit from uncle Stixy...!!!

I want to make some schnitty's but not sure which cut to take them from yet...although im sure that wont matter as all will no doubt be tender.

As for for tasting posts...im up for any tried recipes...
I have a couple from the guy i was with when shot but they are book recipes & not sure they are proven...

It feels good to not waste... :thumbsup: but fridge space is a problem--lucky these are babies...

Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 10 Jul 2019, 1:32 pm

1 x fallow backstrap (8" in length)
roll the backstrap in mustard powder
sear the backstrap in frying pan, lightly
wrap the backstrap in bacon, like putting watch straps on, hold with toothpicks
wrap in tin foil and cook in pre heated oven at 180-200 for 20 minutes
take out of tin foil and cook in fry pan to crisp bacon
salt, pepper, slice, rest
gravy if you like and eat :drinks:

I would like to hear about other people's schnitzel recipes if they care to share :thumbsup:

he we go again Stix swapping recipes :lol: :lol: :lol:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Jul 2019, 8:05 pm

I recently also got a very small deer and I’m now wondering...everyone says that young and small Are the most tender...but are they really? Does the 2 ur old deer with a bit of age - actually present better? I’m not so sure that young deer have the flavour of their older clan...might just be me but interesting to hear other POV.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jul 2019, 10:17 pm

marksman wrote:what no pics Stix :unknown:

not a lot to worry about in this weather Stix

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... #kpvalbx=1

He seems to know what he is doing. The good bit i found i havnt done too badly in the past. Lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 11 Jul 2019, 8:19 pm

What about Snags...??

Anyone got a tried yummy recipe for snags...?

What herbs/spices other flavouring is good to add..?.obviously some oink fat...but what else & in what proportions...? :unknown:

Im guessing these wont be strong in flavour given small & young...so theyll want something...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Jul 2019, 9:02 pm

Yep. If you have a grinder - sausage shoulder on the edge, try this;

4 lb cubed venison
1 lb cubed pork fat
1 small carrot grated.
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar.
2 - 3 table spoons salt.
2 - 3 table spoons pepper.
2 dollops of favourite sauce (bbq or tomAto)
3 tea spoons garlic.
Chilli to taste.
Basil to taste.

Mix all ingredients in red wine and let sit for an hour before light braise.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 11 Jul 2019, 10:45 pm

Thanks Tasssie...
Got a starting amount on the Basil & Chilli...or atleast the basil...?
Not real keen on "mixing to taste" when its raw...lol...

What amounts do you use...i dont mind chilli...

:unknown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Jul 2019, 12:47 pm

I go 1/4 cup of chilli BUT the reason I put “to taste” is because I can find a huge discrepancy between heat - same with basil...variance in strength of flavour is off the charts.
Sorry, I didn’t meant for you to try a spoon full of raw meat lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 16 Jul 2019, 11:40 pm

marksman wrote:1 x fallow backstrap (8" in length)
roll the backstrap in mustard powder
sear the backstrap in frying pan, lightly
wrap the backstrap in bacon, like putting watch straps on, hold with toothpicks
wrap in tin foil and cook in pre heated oven at 180-200 for 20 minutes
take out of tin foil and cook in fry pan to crisp bacon
salt, pepper, slice, rest
gravy if you like and eat :drinks:

I would like to hear about other people's schnitzel recipes if they care to share :thumbsup:

he we go again Stix swapping recipes :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well marksman...i did the backstrap at a mates house--well he did it & he didnt want to do the bacon thing...just seared on the bbq...it was still very good to eat...

But...
I did a 'silverside' cut (as butchered in that video you posted)...

Now this cut was pretty thin...prob an inch average at best, & only weighed in at around 350 odd grams...
I forgot to do the mustard powder before searing, & because it was so thin it wasnt in the pan for long at all & i did the rolled roast thing with finely chopped fresh garlic & rosemary & half rasher of bacon inside...& i only used cheap (Aldi :lol: ) cooking bacon (it was actually pretty good bacon for this young venison with a mild flavour)..
And i over cooked it a little...but being a young animal it made no difference to tenderness.

I made a gravy from the juices out the oven pan, & also deglazed the frypan with a little water after crisping the bacon & added that to the gravy...

The conclusion...

I want more baby bambi's...

This was some seriously divine tucker...a mild &pleasant flavour with a juicy tenderness words cant describe...
2019-07-16 22.36.51.jpg
Cooked & ready for slicing
2019-07-16 22.36.51.jpg (270.84 KiB) Viewed 6335 times

2019-07-16 22.37.34.jpg
Some fell up into my mouth while cutting.
2019-07-16 22.37.34.jpg (254.2 KiB) Viewed 6335 times

You can see the pink juice oozing out the meat in the above pic...it was like the perfect peach of the meat world...!!

2019-07-16 22.39.30.jpg
Seriously good eating...!!
2019-07-16 22.39.30.jpg (296.28 KiB) Viewed 6335 times

Theres also some duck fat roasted vegies also sprinkled in finely chopped fresh garlic & rosemary... :thumbsup:

Also, i didnt cover it in the oven either...but i had it well wrapped in bacon...!

Thanks marksman...
Ill do the mustard powder next time...

Got any more recipes to try...??? :D
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 17 Jul 2019, 1:27 pm

looks the goods to me Stix :thumbsup: spot on good onya mate :drinks:

thats the family favourite but we also like anything mince and mixed mince as well eg... mixed with pork or beef mince
rolled roasts out of the fore's are good but roll the stuffing with the meat its awesome meat, just learn how to tie the knot :lol:
lots of different sausages as well :drinks:
I've recently started to pickle the venison again as I stopped doing it for a while,
thats easy enough with your rolled fore quarters and silversides but really any lumps of meat will be good
just need a pump and a bin with a lid for the brine
I cant find the meat pump I bought off ebay but it is basically a poison pump spray bottle with a needle connection
this is not it but would do the job using the needle with multiple holes to inject real pineapple juice into the meat (that's the secret so ssssh)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Meat-Inject ... SwQhNdJAIR

and get a bin with a lid to use for brine, mine is a 20 litre, my mixture is brown sugar salt and water, I dont really have a recipe as its the bag of brown sugar that I buy (the cheapest maybe 1 kilo) dissolved into hot water then add salt (probably about a kilo) till the meat floats, I take out the fridge shelves in my shed fridge and put the bin of meat in brine for 4 days, I stir the concoction each day then bag up and freeze till it is used

we have tried a hell of a lot of different ways to cook the venison but have settled on a few favorite ways that we all like
even the tin lids believe it or not, IMHO you just have to remember that it is game and as with all game meat dont expect to be able to freeze anything with game fat on it for long as the game fat will go rancid pretty quickly a lot quicker that farmed animals and only cook to medium or it will be tough

you have just about got all my secrets now Stix :lol: :drinks:
its good to see you are getting the most out of this resource :thumbsup: :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Jul 2019, 6:59 pm

Here’s a recipe I just tried recently - some ppl adore it, others not so much and you can tell the steps where / why ppl are divided.

Cube a kilo of venison and 2 large onions.
Brown on gentle heat for a few minutes in some quality olive oil - until onions soften. Remove from heat.
Finely slice 4 large carrots and throw them into the venison and onion mix.

Add in two heaped table spoons crushed garlic and two finely chopped chilli (heat depending on taste).

Take 2 large tins of tomato soup and add to mix.
In one of the empty cans, mix 1/4 tin curry powder, one table spoons pepper (two or three if wanting fiery), 2 table spoons salt and a tea spoon of curicumin with a 50/50 mix of water and milk - mix all together.
Empty this concoction in with venison and stir thoroughly.
Bring to simmer and - this is where ppl get upset - add two very heaped table spoons of sugar.

Simmer covered for another hour and keep an eye on sauce as it will reduce and thicken and may need a bump of water to stop from becoming too thick - when the thickest carrot slice you can find is cooked - your done...
I wish I had photos but if you like curried beef...stand back - cause this is the bomb.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 12 Jan 2020, 4:51 pm

Hey all...

Couple of questions about meat--in this case medium plus size animals...

So when you get a deer in the warmer months, what do you--particularly if you're not prepared for it when you kill it...?... (By not prepared i mean lack of Esky, ice or fridge on hand)...?

Also...when you get home & do the initial breakdown, & then butcher it up---what do you do with the meat..?...

If you dont have time to butcher fully, for a good few days or more, how do you keep the meat in the fridge...?

Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 12 Jan 2020, 6:16 pm

Tricky in the warmer months. Without refrigeration I won’t shoot for meat in the morning. If I get something in the arv I will gut immediately and hang over night then butcher basic cuts first thing in morning just to get it in the fridge but my camping fridge only has enough space for my food and drinks so only at the very end of the hunt will I do this ..... this is what I used to do prior to thermal hunting but now it’s just shoot animal at night , gut , hang. Go hunt some more then butcher at first light. Summer meat hunting I think really needs a mobile cool room In small camping fridges nobody has the room to store 10-15 kilos of ice.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 13 Jan 2020, 7:28 pm

Personally and it is probably as I have the luxury of accessibility to Deer I would not shoot them during the summer months. Again my opionion is to get the meat skinned and quartered and cooled as quickly as possible.
If I was out bush I would not quarter it but place the skinned animal in a good flowing river or creek better if you could wrap it. Getting it out of the bush and into a fridge ASAP becomes the priority if you want good tasting and meat without a smell.
I have shot some pretty smelly Sambar Stags but cleaning and cooling the meat has left it without any smell compared to some guys meat that leave the skin on and take a while to get it home and cooled. Their meat retained a distinct smell and different taste to it.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 13 Jan 2020, 8:18 pm

deer go off really quick so l usually wont shoot them this time of the year plus the fallow have there young with them and they are not ready to go it alone yet
as Blr said if l was to go for some meat it would be in the evening and then straight home after hanging for a while to cool off a bit at home it would be hung up and butchered first thing in the morning, l do have a cold room but l use it for storage and would be a real pain to empty

l'm actually getting the s**ts with hanging around the house doing chores but l'm a bit reluctant to drive around the paddocks in the car in case of fire
l am in need of some venison, maybe not a bad idea :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey