Advice for steel shot

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Advice for steel shot

Post by cala90 » 15 Feb 2014, 8:21 am

Hey guys,

Not sure if I posted this in the wrong section or not..

Anyway, this is going to be my first duck season. I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm looking to buy some steel shot in the next week or so. I was wondering what people's suggestions were for brands, sizes etc.

Will be shooting mainly under 40m or so. Wood duck seems to be the popular species around here (haven't seen much else!)

Any advice will be appreciated!

Cheers

Matt
Ruger American 22LR
Howa 1500 Varmint Fluted 223
Webley & Scott 912 12G
cala90
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Advice for steel shot

Post by Atter » 15 Feb 2014, 2:03 pm

Hey Matt,

I've been out of the game for a bit but I'm heading good things about the Remington Hypersonic steel shot.

Looking to get back into shotguns myself, so doing research too.

Remington are using whatever voodoo it is to get a few hundred extra FPS out of their hypersonic steel which reduces the amount of lead distance required and makes shooting easier/more accurate.

Doing some more research myself, but I think I'm going to start out with them as I'm a bit rust and every advantage helps :D
Tikka T3 Hunter .260 Remington
Tikka T3 Sporter 6.5x55 SE
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Will » 15 Feb 2014, 2:49 pm

G'day,

On the subject of Remington, they do pretty decent cheat-sheet type list on their shot ammo here - Duck hunting suggestions.

You don't have to buy Remington of course, but you can use the shot and distance guides when considering any brand of ammo.

Hope it helps.
Roessler Waffen Titan 6
Viper Vortex HS 4-16x44
Will
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by cala90 » 17 Feb 2014, 7:02 pm

Thanks for the replies guys!

Appreciate the help!

Cheers