Pig / Deer Rifle? Tikka T3x CTR .308 - Advice for a NOOB

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Pig / Deer Rifle? Tikka T3x CTR .308 - Advice for a NOOB

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Aug 2019, 8:38 pm

Then I go taking a range finder, shooting sticks binos first aid kit knives some salt and other rubbish.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Aug 2019, 10:09 pm

Oldbloke wrote:For sambar hunting, light weight is the way to go if you want to enjoy your days out. A lot of the country is not exactly eady walking. Many rifles start out at about 6.5 lb but add a scope & sling and it jumps a surprising amount.

You get it :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Aug 2019, 10:14 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Then I go taking a range finder, shooting sticks binos first aid kit knives some salt and other rubbish.

What no kitchen sink? :sarcasm: I don’t think the sandbar will stand there long enough for you to use shooting sticks and a rangefinder most of the time you bump into em and a quick off hand shot is required none of this farting around it’s s**t deer point and shoot. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sawyers » 13 Aug 2019, 10:25 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I wouldn't go putting a high mag scope on a hunting rifle that will be used for pigs and deer and certainly not one with side focus - any good quality 3-9x50 will get the job done.

I'd also pick a light rifle if you intend doing a lot of walking (which you will be doing if you are hunting deer in Vic.

The 308 will get the job done and not to hard on the shoulders and ears, you don't need a muzzle brake on hunting rifle so don't waste your time and money on one, you don't need a rifle with 10rd mag capacity either as most times you are lucky to get 1 or 2 shots off before everything disappears so don't waste your time buying stuff you won't ever need.

This is the best advice, i made the mistake of buying high magnification scopes with side focus or AO, they've all been replaced with ether 3-9, 4-12 or 2-7, therses nothing worse than fumbling around with a scope while trying to get a shot off. Also as Pete said 50mm objective is perfect for pigs on run.
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Raband » 13 Aug 2019, 10:31 pm

I think I read while researching T3x's a (*Aussie Version) annotation somewhere - that could be what accounts for the differences in weight?
Raband
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Aug 2019, 10:37 pm

Raband wrote:I think I read while researching T3x's a (*Aussie Version) annotation somewhere - that could be what accounts for the differences in weight?

I think you'll find its probably just the barrel length/type (ie dia) and fluting that makes the difference weight wise. What does make a big difference is how much weight you have to carry around in your hands all day, for what the OP wants I'd definitely go a lighter rifle than his original choice.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bombus1 » 14 Aug 2019, 11:23 am

TassieTiger wrote:^ this is exactly why I bought the 300wm in howa vs my friends tikka 300 - so I can see for myself.
Thus far, both rifles are shooting Moa with a long way to go retuning.
But - I will say, the bolt on the howa is a little loose and tight compared to the glass like tikka, a bit rattly but nothing excessive and once locked - it’s tight.
I think both triggers are superb - not up to the steyr “set” trigger but not too far away and if your hunting, a extreme light trigger is not necessarily a good thing.
At this stage—— I’d say a howa is the hilux and the tikka is the Lexus.
*** I reserve the right to change my opinion at any time.

Good to know and appreciate the honest feedback. I think as I'm just getting back into this again that I'll go the Hilux for now and save the Lexus for when I can drive better ad appreciate the quality. :D
Respect the process, Respect the Animal, Respect the Hunt
Bombus1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 14 Aug 2019, 12:38 pm

Sawyers wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I wouldn't go putting a high mag scope on a hunting rifle that will be used for pigs and deer and certainly not one with side focus - any good quality 3-9x50 will get the job done.

I'd also pick a light rifle if you intend doing a lot of walking (which you will be doing if you are hunting deer in Vic.

The 308 will get the job done and not to hard on the shoulders and ears, you don't need a muzzle brake on hunting rifle so don't waste your time and money on one, you don't need a rifle with 10rd mag capacity either as most times you are lucky to get 1 or 2 shots off before everything disappears so don't waste your time buying stuff you won't ever need.

This is the best advice, i made the mistake of buying high magnification scopes with side focus or AO, they've all been replaced with ether 3-9, 4-12 or 2-7, therses nothing worse than fumbling around with a scope while trying to get a shot off. Also as Pete said 50mm objective is perfect for pigs on run.

Do you wait to load your magazine with ammo until you encounter game as well...?
I dont know why you would be waiting around for an encounter with game to then set your scope up either... :wtf:

If you have a higher end mag scope (say 4-16) with side paralex adjustment...you set it up first & leave it alone...
Before you load magazines & treko off...you set the dioptre for your eye...crank up to max magnification & set paralex to 100-150 yds (setting will vary due to terrain to average out likely encounters), then wind scope back to min manification & leave it alone...
Then its set...if you need to crank up mag the paralex is set to plenty good enough for a shot on the chest of mid sized animal at easy 300yds...& just as sharp, if not sharper image than a fixed parralex scope in close ranges... :thumbsup:

Also, im not sure what the size of the front objective has anything to do with whether an animal is sitting or on the trott...?
Front objective has biggest influence over brighness as far as i know... :thumbsup:
Or have i missed something... :unknown:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 14 Aug 2019, 12:43 pm

Hi all. Apologies if this has been asked a million times. I'm just getting back into shooting (haven't done anything in 20 years) and am looking to go pig hunting (I live in WA) and also Deer hunting (in Vic Highlands with my brother who lives over that way).

I've done a bit of research and am considering the Tikka T3x CTR S/S in .308. It is pretty exy though and over my $2k budget for a rifle (I've been quoted nearly $2,500 for this - but comes with spare mag and muzzle break).

I would certainly welcome some feedback on this given what I want to do, including:

1. Rifle Selection - given what i want to do with it per above. I see Howa's are comparable? How do they stack up?
2. Optics Selection - have been recommended the Bushnell Elite 4500 4-16x40. Are these decent? Any other brands/models i should consider
3. Good gun shop (price/service) in WA - will also consider Oz wide too and will share the love to whomever wants my business essentially.

As a lot of you on here are very experienced, I'd really appreciate your opinions and advice.

Thanks everyone and looking forward to getting back into the swing!!! :thumbsup:
Bombus1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia
I can not speak highly enough of the Howa I purchased brand new in .243 it was accurate out the box and the scope it came with was fine for shooting out to 300 Metres total package cost $700 It is Blued steel and synthetic stock and has to be looked after or it will rust in situations where my S/S rifles do not.Where are you based I have a heap of land to shoot on north of Bunbury to Waroona
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 14 Aug 2019, 5:34 pm

Tikka T3x CTR S/S in .308 = 3.4kg or 7.4lb; Tikka Lite in .308 = 2.9kg or 6.5lb. (all approx.) . Go the lite.

Scope, 2-7 or 3-9 is about all you'll need hunting Samba.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Aug 2019, 7:28 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Tikka T3x CTR S/S in .308 = 3.4kg or 7.4lb; Tikka Lite in .308 = 2.9kg or 6.5lb. (all approx.) . Go the lite.

Yep, i would get the lite and i use a 3-9*40. But 50 is better for low light. However the 50 will add $ and weight.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Aug 2019, 7:31 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Tikka T3x CTR S/S in .308 = 3.4kg or 7.4lb; Tikka Lite in .308 = 2.9kg or 6.5lb. (all approx.) . Go the lite.

Yep, i would get the lite and i use a 3-9*40. But 50 is better for low light. However the 50 will add $ and weight.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Aug 2019, 10:08 am

For me I am happy to carry a heavier rifle, where weight saving is concerned I can pick up my fitness and loose a few kilos in body weight. I have never been unable to get the shot off because my rifle weighed a little more but puffing like a train and my heart rate being over 180 has stopped me more than once. I may be the only one here not at my ideal fighting weight but I suspect that I am not.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Aug 2019, 3:01 pm

SCJ429 wrote:For me I am happy to carry a heavier rifle, where weight saving is concerned I can pick up my fitness and loose a few kilos in body weight. I have never been unable to get the shot off because my rifle weighed a little more but puffing like a train and my heart rate being over 180 has stopped me more than once. I may be the only one here not at my ideal fighting weight but I suspect that I am not.

You suspect right :D As I get older I find I like things to be lighter when it comes to carrying or using things - ie rifles, chainsaws etc, I can't handle the weight like I could as a youngster sadly, so to compensate to some degree I go for lighter equipment so I can still do something (still can't function like I could in my younger days but that's to be expected as one gets older I guess) :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 15 Aug 2019, 3:34 pm

Yep, I tend to go for lighter things too; except wine bottles! :lol: :lol:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Aug 2019, 4:32 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Yep, I tend to go for lighter things too; except wine bottles! :lol: :lol:
:lol:

Yeah used to love a drink, I don't bother with it much now but certainly was a champion at emptying cartons. :silent:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 15 Aug 2019, 7:01 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:Yep, I tend to go for lighter things too; except wine bottles! :lol: :lol:

Yeah used to love a drink, I don't bother with it much now but certainly was a champion at emptying cartons. :silent:

+1 :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :lol:
now I have extra money for more bullets :lol: :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Aug 2019, 7:38 pm

marksman wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

+1 :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :lol:
now I have extra money for more bullets :lol: :lol:

Too right. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 15 Aug 2019, 9:00 pm

:lol: :lol: Can't argue with that! i haven't had a beer for years, just a wine at dinner but only in this cold weather.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by mickb » 16 Aug 2019, 7:38 pm

SCJ429 wrote:For me I am happy to carry a heavier rifle, where weight saving is concerned I can pick up my fitness and loose a few kilos in body weight. I have never been unable to get the shot off because my rifle weighed a little more but puffing like a train and my heart rate being over 180 has stopped me more than once. I may be the only one here not at my ideal fighting weight but I suspect that I am not.

I tend to follow the same principals mate. Incidentally this year I decided to get back to my fighting weight of 20 years ago, dropped about 15kg and it turned my life around. Carrying stuff, hunting, hiking, chasing my nephews, old knee and back injuries even settled down a lot. Highly recommend.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Aug 2019, 8:54 pm

mickb wrote:

I tend to follow the same principals mate. Incidentally this year I decided to get back to my fighting weight of 20 years ago, dropped about 15kg and it turned my life around. Carrying stuff, hunting, hiking, chasing my nephews, old knee and back injuries even settled down a lot. Highly recommend.

I keep losing it and finding it again and a few extra Kg's for good measure :D

You are right though, it definitely makes life a lot easier not carrying around the extra weight, you can certainly do things a lot easier no doubt about it, I just wish I could keep it f***ing off instead of yo yoing every time I try. :(
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Aug 2019, 10:06 pm

I can loan you a Ruger #1 with an extra heavy barrel for your next hunt Sambar to help you burn some extra calories. Leave that featherweight Howa at home. Take you back to the days with Team Green and lumping the Pig around the bush.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 17 Aug 2019, 2:37 am

bigfellascott wrote:

You are right though, it definitely makes life a lot easier not carrying around the extra weight, you can certainly do things a lot easier no doubt about it, I just wish I could keep it f***ing off instead of yo yoing every time I try. :(

I reckon its the junk food availability mate. I buggared off to the third world for years, eating everything from local food, rations to UN lentils. Could eat plenty but it was usually set meal times and not always a pleasure. As such the weight stayed off.

Came back to Aus and it was like this gnawing hunger all the time... an urge to open the fridge any time I walk past or buy a pie and chickoroll any time I get fuel. :wtf:
I wonder if one of these "flavour No.123" or "preservative no.886" you see on the packet doesnt flick a few neurone addiction switches like nicotiene does.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Aug 2019, 7:12 am

mickb wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

I reckon its the junk food availability mate. I buggared off to the third world for years, eating everything from local food, rations to UN lentils. Could eat plenty but it was usually set meal times and not always a pleasure. As such the weight stayed off.

Came back to Aus and it was like this gnawing hunger all the time... an urge to open the fridge any time I walk past or buy a pie and chickoroll any time I get fuel. :wtf:
I wonder if one of these "flavour No.123" or "preservative no.886" you see on the packet doesnt flick a few neurone addiction switches like nicotiene does.

Yeah no doubt the hollow calories in junk food doesn't help at all (all sugar) and gives you that instant "high" your body is craving but it doesn't last long and you are wanting to eat again. For me it's not junk food (I don't eat SFA in the way of takeaway foods) I'm more your buy it and cook it type person always have been, I don't bother with softdrink either, I like water and used to love beer but don't really bother much with that anymore either.

I've always had weight issues as have probably 80% of my family and relatives, not sure what it is about us but we are fat! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by duncan61 » 17 Aug 2019, 9:59 am

Western society is over fed and under nourished.I feel hungry all the time and snack out way to much.The best I ever did was living in the outback culling I just took vegetables and rice crackers and about 30 tins of tuna.bush turkey or red roo in the pot once a day and snack on the tuna when needed.I ripped down to no excess fat at all.I would go for 10 days at a time and would have mud wrestled my Grandmother for some KFC
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Aug 2019, 10:09 am

You know society has gone wrong when homeless ppl are over weight...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bombus1 » 27 Aug 2019, 6:23 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
mickb wrote:

It's my biggest concern - a heavy rifle and trudging through the bush, up and down steep faces. I'm going to use it as motivation and shed some kilos and get fit. At 43, it's not so easy any more but 8000 beers on a weekend washed down with a few whiskies afterwards I'm sure isn't helping any.
Bombus1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Bombus1 » 27 Aug 2019, 6:27 pm

Thanks to everyone on this thread for your invaluable advice.

I've ended up going for a Howa .308 in stainless as a first up rifle to get back into things.

Looking forward to getting some rounds down range in a couple of months and getting back into it. I've got a trip planned for the Rut next year in Victoria with some mates and I'm just pumped to get into shooting again after a couple of decades.

Thanks again to everyone on here and I'll be around no doubt keeping an eye out on the topics floating around, especially best ammo in .308 and some decent deer hunting advice when the time is right.

Cheers all and happy shooting/hunting.
Bombus1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 29 Aug 2019, 9:47 am

Good choice bombus you also got some diet advice thrown in at the end as well. Probably good you chimed in or who know where the thread would have drifted off too. :D
Keep us updated on your progress if you feel so inclined.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Bombus1 » 29 Aug 2019, 1:25 pm

mickb wrote:Good choice bombus you also got some diet advice thrown in at the end as well. Probably good you chimed in or who know where the thread would have drifted off too. :D
Keep us updated on your progress if you feel so inclined.

Haha! Can always so with some dieting advice!! Cheers mate. :mrgreen:
Bombus1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey