Pig / Deer Rifle? Tikka T3x CTR .308 - Advice for a NOOB

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Pig / Deer Rifle? Tikka T3x CTR .308 - Advice for a NOOB

Post by RoginaJack » 15 Aug 2019, 9:00 pm

:lol: :lol: Can't argue with that! i haven't had a beer for years, just a wine at dinner but only in this cold weather.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by mickb » 16 Aug 2019, 7:38 pm

SCJ429 wrote:For me I am happy to carry a heavier rifle, where weight saving is concerned I can pick up my fitness and loose a few kilos in body weight. I have never been unable to get the shot off because my rifle weighed a little more but puffing like a train and my heart rate being over 180 has stopped me more than once. I may be the only one here not at my ideal fighting weight but I suspect that I am not.

I tend to follow the same principals mate. Incidentally this year I decided to get back to my fighting weight of 20 years ago, dropped about 15kg and it turned my life around. Carrying stuff, hunting, hiking, chasing my nephews, old knee and back injuries even settled down a lot. Highly recommend.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Aug 2019, 8:54 pm

mickb wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:For me I am happy to carry a heavier rifle, where weight saving is concerned I can pick up my fitness and loose a few kilos in body weight. I have never been unable to get the shot off because my rifle weighed a little more but puffing like a train and my heart rate being over 180 has stopped me more than once. I may be the only one here not at my ideal fighting weight but I suspect that I am not.

I tend to follow the same principals mate. Incidentally this year I decided to get back to my fighting weight of 20 years ago, dropped about 15kg and it turned my life around. Carrying stuff, hunting, hiking, chasing my nephews, old knee and back injuries even settled down a lot. Highly recommend.

I keep losing it and finding it again and a few extra Kg's for good measure :D

You are right though, it definitely makes life a lot easier not carrying around the extra weight, you can certainly do things a lot easier no doubt about it, I just wish I could keep it f***ing off instead of yo yoing every time I try. :(
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Aug 2019, 10:06 pm

I can loan you a Ruger #1 with an extra heavy barrel for your next hunt Sambar to help you burn some extra calories. Leave that featherweight Howa at home. Take you back to the days with Team Green and lumping the Pig around the bush.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 17 Aug 2019, 2:37 am

bigfellascott wrote:

You are right though, it definitely makes life a lot easier not carrying around the extra weight, you can certainly do things a lot easier no doubt about it, I just wish I could keep it f***ing off instead of yo yoing every time I try. :(

I reckon its the junk food availability mate. I buggared off to the third world for years, eating everything from local food, rations to UN lentils. Could eat plenty but it was usually set meal times and not always a pleasure. As such the weight stayed off.

Came back to Aus and it was like this gnawing hunger all the time... an urge to open the fridge any time I walk past or buy a pie and chickoroll any time I get fuel. :wtf:
I wonder if one of these "flavour No.123" or "preservative no.886" you see on the packet doesnt flick a few neurone addiction switches like nicotiene does.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Aug 2019, 7:12 am

mickb wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

I reckon its the junk food availability mate. I buggared off to the third world for years, eating everything from local food, rations to UN lentils. Could eat plenty but it was usually set meal times and not always a pleasure. As such the weight stayed off.

Came back to Aus and it was like this gnawing hunger all the time... an urge to open the fridge any time I walk past or buy a pie and chickoroll any time I get fuel. :wtf:
I wonder if one of these "flavour No.123" or "preservative no.886" you see on the packet doesnt flick a few neurone addiction switches like nicotiene does.

Yeah no doubt the hollow calories in junk food doesn't help at all (all sugar) and gives you that instant "high" your body is craving but it doesn't last long and you are wanting to eat again. For me it's not junk food (I don't eat SFA in the way of takeaway foods) I'm more your buy it and cook it type person always have been, I don't bother with softdrink either, I like water and used to love beer but don't really bother much with that anymore either.

I've always had weight issues as have probably 80% of my family and relatives, not sure what it is about us but we are fat! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by duncan61 » 17 Aug 2019, 9:59 am

Western society is over fed and under nourished.I feel hungry all the time and snack out way to much.The best I ever did was living in the outback culling I just took vegetables and rice crackers and about 30 tins of tuna.bush turkey or red roo in the pot once a day and snack on the tuna when needed.I ripped down to no excess fat at all.I would go for 10 days at a time and would have mud wrestled my Grandmother for some KFC
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Aug 2019, 10:09 am

You know society has gone wrong when homeless ppl are over weight...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bombus1 » 27 Aug 2019, 6:23 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
mickb wrote:

It's my biggest concern - a heavy rifle and trudging through the bush, up and down steep faces. I'm going to use it as motivation and shed some kilos and get fit. At 43, it's not so easy any more but 8000 beers on a weekend washed down with a few whiskies afterwards I'm sure isn't helping any.
Respect the process, Respect the Animal, Respect the Hunt
Bombus1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Bombus1 » 27 Aug 2019, 6:27 pm

Thanks to everyone on this thread for your invaluable advice.

I've ended up going for a Howa .308 in stainless as a first up rifle to get back into things.

Looking forward to getting some rounds down range in a couple of months and getting back into it. I've got a trip planned for the Rut next year in Victoria with some mates and I'm just pumped to get into shooting again after a couple of decades.

Thanks again to everyone on here and I'll be around no doubt keeping an eye out on the topics floating around, especially best ammo in .308 and some decent deer hunting advice when the time is right.

Cheers all and happy shooting/hunting.
Bombus1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 29 Aug 2019, 9:47 am

Good choice bombus you also got some diet advice thrown in at the end as well. Probably good you chimed in or who know where the thread would have drifted off too. :D
Keep us updated on your progress if you feel so inclined.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Bombus1 » 29 Aug 2019, 1:25 pm

mickb wrote:Good choice bombus you also got some diet advice thrown in at the end as well. Probably good you chimed in or who know where the thread would have drifted off too. :D
Keep us updated on your progress if you feel so inclined.

Haha! Can always so with some dieting advice!! Cheers mate. :mrgreen:
Bombus1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 29 Aug 2019, 11:28 pm

Blr243 wrote:I find that when hunting I don’t often have time or discipline to wear ear protection....for this reason I would never hunt with a brake

If you are shooting anything from .22LR upwards without hearing protection you are damaging your hearing - muzzle brake or not.

Rimfires trick us into thinking they aren't that loud but they really hammer the high frequencies.

I live with hearing loss and tinnitus from a lifetime shooting and driving tractors without hearing protection. My audiologist says my hearing curve is diagnostic of exposure to firearms. It's not worth it and if I had my time over I'd do it differently.

Electronic earmuffs actually improve your hearing for general purposes and protect your ears from gunfire. Win-Win. No excuses.

Not too many deer here in WA - but .270 or 30-06 would get my money. I own a .270
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey