Pig / Deer Rifle? Tikka T3x CTR .308 - Advice for a NOOB

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Pig / Deer Rifle? Tikka T3x CTR .308 - Advice for a NOOB

Post by xDom » 09 Aug 2019, 5:44 pm

[quote="bigfellascott"I'd also pick a light rifle if you intend doing a lot of walking (which you will be doing if you are hunting deer in Vic.

.[/quote]

Good point, I believe the CTR is as heavy as the Tikka Varmint, which I just traded in for the lite model albeit in .223.

Why the interest in the CTR?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 09 Aug 2019, 8:27 pm

I'd look for a low powered variable scope, like 2-X or 3-X. that's all you'll need.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Aug 2019, 9:48 pm

I own a couple of Tikkas and the barrels on them are fantastic for a factory barrel. Howa don't come close, I would not own a Howa with a factory barrel. A friend has had two Howas and the quality is not good with chatter marks right up the barrel.

If the Tikka is too dear then get a second hand one. The 308 should last you for in excess of 4000 rounds so getting a lightly used one will still have plenty of life in it.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Aug 2019, 9:55 pm

xDom wrote:[quote="bigfellascott"I'd also pick a light rifle if you intend doing a lot of walking (which you will be doing if you are hunting deer in Vic.

Good point, I believe the CTR is as heavy as the Tikka Varmint, which I just traded in for the lite model albeit in .223.

Why the interest in the CTR?[/quote]

How much did they give you in trade for your varmint in 223?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by flutch » 10 Aug 2019, 12:56 am

SCJ429 wrote:I own a couple of Tikkas and the barrels on them are fantastic for a factory barrel. Howa don't come close, I would not own a Howa with a factory barrel. A friend has had two Howas and the quality is not good with chatter marks right up the barrel.

If the Tikka is too dear then get a second hand one. The 308 should last you for in excess of 4000 rounds so getting a lightly used one will still have plenty of life in it.

arent anecdotes fun, three howas in my family all are well sub moa, and not fussy on ammo like a hipster coffee critic like tikkas, also know a few ppl with more than useless tikkas, but hey all anecdotes, my honest opinion is howa and tikka are equal, just only one of them charges the correct price, the other is taking the piss.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 10 Aug 2019, 1:08 am

Bombus1 wrote:Hi all. Apologies if this has been asked a million times. I'm just getting back into shooting (haven't done anything in 20 years) and am looking to go pig hunting (I live in WA) and also Deer hunting (in Vic Highlands with my brother who lives over that way).

I've done a bit of research and am considering the Tikka T3x CTR S/S in .308. It is pretty exy though and over my $2k budget for a rifle (I've been quoted nearly $2,500 for this - but comes with spare mag and muzzle break).

I would certainly welcome some feedback on this given what I want to do, including:

1. Rifle Selection - given what i want to do with it per above. I see Howa's are comparable? How do they stack up?
2. Optics Selection - have been recommended the Bushnell Elite 4500 4-16x40. Are these decent? Any other brands/models i should consider
3. Good gun shop (price/service) in WA - will also consider Oz wide too and will share the love to whomever wants my business essentially.

As a lot of you on here are very experienced, I'd really appreciate your opinions and advice.

Thanks everyone and looking forward to getting back into the swing!!! :thumbsup:

Hi Bombus.
You cant go wrong with a 308...(i have a 7-08 & love it...!!-(basically same as 308)--no goat or pig has ever noticed it had a "270" or a "308" death.. :thumbsup:)

308 will kill everything you need it to kill, not be stupidly sharp & loud (dont use a brake!--especially hunting), & the price of ammo-both factory & reloads-are very reasonable/as cheap as you'll get..

As for scope...i have 3 of those elite 4500's in 4-16x40 & i absolutely love them...!!!

I think 4x is (JUST) wide enough for close quarters fast paced action...
Ive smacked plenty of fast moving goats at close range with it...!!
You will eventually delelop a different technique for that kind of close quarters shooting where you will shoot both eyes open which gives you plenty of field of view--plenty enough to give well enough lead on pig & goat type animals in full flight.
The key is setting the scope up correctly--i think scope height is critical for fast paced stuff like that--dont be sucked into thinking you need scope as close as possible to barrel--in fast paced stuff you dont have time to cheek weld--its more like shotgun...

I like adjustable parallex too...!
Gives for sharper image on longer shots, & also gives better detail when using scope for scouting distances for game or when you need good detail if shooting at distance into shadows--like maybe goats on another hill in scrub/shadow...not to mention i find the high mag super handy for long shots... :thumbsup:

Dont think you need to be setting it all the time either--you only need to set it once & leave it--reset it if you move it for a long shot--dead easy & only takes a few seconds.

The 4-16x40's i have are good enough for spotlighting too...when you go over 16x is when it gets a little too dark for spotlighting.

I think 3-15/4-16 is a good mag for all round rifle scope...
Modern technology gives us these options at a reasonable price, may as well take advantage of it mate...
People may say you dont need the extra magnification...but you dont need a landcruiser either, yet i bet the "dont need it" crowd arent driving 1970's Ford Cortina's accross paddocks like my ol man did when i was a kid...!!

As long as the scope you get bslances out the rifle well, go the 3-15/4-16 mag range...im sure you eont regret it..!
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Aug 2019, 1:18 pm

flutch wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:I own a couple of Tikkas and the barrels on them are fantastic for a factory barrel. Howa don't come close, I would not own a Howa with a factory barrel. A friend has had two Howas and the quality is not good with chatter marks right up the barrel.

arent anecdotes fun, three howas in my family all are well sub moa, and not fussy on ammo like a hipster coffee critic like tikkas, also know a few ppl with more than useless tikkas, but hey all anecdotes, my honest opinion is howa and tikka are equal, just only one of them charges the correct price, the other is taking the piss.

Same here, the Howas I own shoot like lasers, the Tikka I own shoots shotgun patterns in comparison and cost me twice as much and then some, lucky for me I only wanted it to smack pigs and deer with and it's capable of that so far so all good otherwise it would be out the door! Mind you I've only run one brand of factory ammo in it so far (Fed Premium stuff) I'm sure with some tinkering it will be a better shooter so again I'm not overly concerned :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 10 Aug 2019, 2:53 pm

I guess it comes down to expecations, some Howas will shoot quite well, most heavy barrelled 223 are great. You would buy a Howa based on price. Don't expect the barrel to be up to the standard of the Finnish barrel makers.

Talk to your gunsmith about what he has seen and recommends. There is also a gunsmith in NZ, Nathan Forster, who publishes some information online. He gives some excellent frank advice regarding rifles to be used for hunting.

I don't have shares in Sako and Tikka but my experiences with six of them have all been outstanding, all of them able to shoot under 0.3 and a couple of them shooting the odd group in the 0.1. Perhaps I am just lucky.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Aug 2019, 3:10 pm

^ this is exactly why I bought the 300wm in howa vs my friends tikka 300 - so I can see for myself.
Thus far, both rifles are shooting Moa with a long way to go retuning.
But - I will say, the bolt on the howa is a little loose and tight compared to the glass like tikka, a bit rattly but nothing excessive and once locked - it’s tight.
I think both triggers are superb - not up to the steyr “set” trigger but not too far away and if your hunting, a extreme light trigger is not necessarily a good thing.
At this stage—— I’d say a howa is the hilux and the tikka is the Lexus.
*** I reserve the right to change my opinion at any time.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by xDom » 10 Aug 2019, 4:04 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
xDom wrote:[quote="bigfellascott"I'd also pick a light rifle if you intend doing a lot of walking (which you will be doing if you are hunting deer in Vic.

How much did they give you in trade for your varmint in 223?

$800, paid $1400, had about 700 shots through it. Probably could’ve got another $250 for it if I sold it privately. Couldn’t be arsed with the hassle.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 10 Aug 2019, 8:39 pm

flutch wrote:
mickb wrote:
you wont fit a 308 loaded with 200gn projies into a tikka magazine... just saying... and tbh, if you really wanna use rounds that heavy just bite the bullet and buy a 300win or bigger. especially for a noob, using anything that heavy in a 308 is going to require some pretty serious knowledge of the rifles "dope" that which a noob isnt going to have a handle on. I still say go the 300 win, but then again i dont own anything in centerfire that shoots slower than 3100fps, takes all the guess work out of it.

Mate the big bullets I refer are roundnoses. I admit I dont know what COAL the tikkas handle but you might find these bullets shorter than you realise. And it doesnt require pretty serious knowledge of the rifles 'D.O.P.E', (Btw I spent a few years in the middle east, when did we start calling shooting at animals back here 'engagements', are we hunting or at war with the animals? ) A 200 grain bullet will get 2450-2500fps+ out of the 308, 220 is 2400, that is a good velocity and plenty flat shooting for big game ranges, aka under 200 yards. Its no guesswork for noob or otherwise.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by flutch » 10 Aug 2019, 8:56 pm

mickb wrote:
flutch wrote:
mickb wrote:
you wont fit a 308 loaded with 200gn projies into a tikka magazine... just saying... and tbh, if you really wanna use rounds that heavy just bite the bullet and buy a 300win or bigger. especially for a noob, using anything that heavy in a 308 is going to require some pretty serious knowledge of the rifles "dope" that which a noob isnt going to have a handle on. I still say go the 300 win, but then again i dont own anything in centerfire that shoots slower than 3100fps, takes all the guess work out of it.

Mate the big bullets I refer are roundnoses. I admit I dont know what COAL the tikkas handle but you might find these bullets shorter than you realise. And it doesnt require pretty serious knowledge of the rifles 'D.O.P.E', (Btw I spent a few years in the middle east, when did we start calling shooting at animals back here 'engagements', are we hunting or at war with the animals? ) A 200 grain bullet will get 2450-2500fps+ out of the 308, 220 is 2400, that is a good velocity and plenty flat shooting for big game ranges, aka under 200 yards. Its no guesswork for noob or otherwise.

2400 fps is mortar speeds, might aswell have a trebuchet, and to pretend that there isnt a FK tonne of bullet drop at that weight and velocity is pretty silly as it is pertinent here in WA, a lot of terrain and areas people shoot its not uncommon to have to engage at greater distances, we after all arent amongst valleys and mountains for the majority of our terrain. so to me there are many options way more effective than a 308 for shooting in WA, sure a 308 will suffice with compromises but then again, its a bit of a clitoris isnt it, yunno given that every C#nt has one.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 10 Aug 2019, 10:18 pm

Are you saying you can get 3100 fps from a 200 grain bullet out of your Win Mag?

I am surprised that you think you could not hit anything with a 308 in WA. What sort of distances are you shooting at?

While the 308 is a bit vanilla, it is quite capable of making hits on game at 400 or 500 metres with a bit of practice. To be honest, I think you should be able to stalk a lot closer even in open country.

What do you use your 223 on if a 308 is incapable of making the shot?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by flutch » 10 Aug 2019, 10:31 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Are you saying you can get 3100 fps from a 200 grain bullet out of your Win Mag?

I am surprised that you think you could not hit anything with a 308 in WA. What sort of distances are you shooting at?

While the 308 is a bit vanilla, it is quite capable of making hits on game at 400 or 500 metres with a bit of practice. To be honest, I think you should be able to stalk a lot closer even in open country.

What do you use your 223 on if a 308 is incapable of making the shot?

operative part of the discussion would be noob friendly, there are a lot flatter/faster rounds that will get the job done with far less practice, and given the state of gun club snobs and people in the city having a lack of area to practice that is a pertinent thing. why would you put a 223 and a 308 in the same discussion? that makes no sense. ones a varmint round that costs little to fk all. the other one considerably more, like 100% more. again the argument isn't that a 308 cant "hit" the target, it is however a lazy round and does drop a lot faster than many other rounds, this isn't up for debate, hence the rise of many boutique 6.5's on the market and the proliferation of larger magnums and the systematic replacement of 308 as a sniper round, after all it was only adopted because it was in ready supply for the military and they only adopted it as it was a short action cartridge and hence was easily utilised in an automatic rifle. as far as making a hunting experience enjoyable for a novice shooter I would lean toward rounds that require less compensation at different ranges, not more.

as for the 300win, getting close to 3100 with 190gn projies so would expect close to 3000 for 200gn, damn sight quicker than 2400...
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 10 Aug 2019, 11:00 pm

I think that a 22LR is a great start for a new shooter, you learn about drop and wind drift. You cannot wind it up to 3100 fps.

You said you have to take long shots in WA where the 308 cannot get the job done. Surely the puny 223 cannot be effective over these long distances and you should have gone with a 220 Swift or the 22/250?

For a new shooter I would avoid shots beyond 300 metres, even if you get the elevation right the wind drift may make you miss. For the novice a 100 to 200 metre shot is achievable, with a 308 or 223 or a 30/30.

You should consider rechambering your 300 Win Mag, the capable 300s start with the RUM these days.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by flutch » 10 Aug 2019, 11:16 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I think that a 22LR is a great start for a new shooter, you learn about drop and wind drift. You cannot wind it up to 3100 fps.

You said you have to take long shots in WA where the 308 cannot get the job done. Surely the puny 223 cannot be effective over these long distances and you should have gone with a 220 Swift or the 22/250?

For a new shooter I would avoid shots beyond 300 metres, even if you get the elevation right the wind drift may make you miss. For the novice a 100 to 200 metre shot is achievable, with a 308 or 223 or a 30/30.

You should consider rechambering your 300 Win Mag, the capable 300s start with the RUM these days.

only issue with your attempt at being snide is I am not a novice shooter... and lol, the game I would shoot with the 223 do not present themselves at that much of a distance, besides I already have the 270 if I wish to varmint outside of the 223's effective range. none the less this has nothing to do with me, its about getting a novice shooter to get a more pleasurable shooting experience, you know, coming from someone who has access to hunting properties statewide in WA, but sure, again, the 308 is "ok" but the hype far exceeds the reality.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 11 Aug 2019, 2:33 am

flutch wrote: 2400 fps is mortar speeds and to pretend that there isnt a FK tonne of bullet drop at that weight and velocity is pretty silly

Silly is blokes who can't read a ballistic chart. 200-220 grain bullets, BC .300 to .320, zeroed to 124-140 yards, drop around 4-5" at 200 yards. Plenty for heavy game. The example wasn't for general hunting or rabbits at 300 yards, it was scrub bulls.
as it is pertinent here in WA, a lot of terrain and areas people shoot its not uncommon to have to engage at greater distances

Again with the 'engagement of game'. Are you declaring war on animals or do you mean marrying them Flutch? :lol:
No offence but all the sniper terms( d.o.p.e aka data on previous engagements) and never shooting anything 'under 3100fps', you sound pretty young or too much COD...

after all arent amongst valleys and mountains for the majority of our terrain. so to me there are many options way more effective than a 308 for shooting in WA, sure a 308 will suffice with compromises but then again, its a bit of a clitoris isnt it, yunno given that every C#nt has one.

I'm in QLD, we got the same spaces and more game to boot. Back to whats relevant, the OP had a choice between 270 and 308 and I said the latter has a much better range of big game bullets, and it does.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by flutch » 11 Aug 2019, 2:48 am

mickb wrote:as it is pertinent here in WA, a lot of terrain and areas people shoot its not uncommon to have to engage at greater distances
Again with the 'engagement of game'. Are you declaring war on animals or do you mean marrying them Flutch? :lol:
No offence but all the sniper terms( d.o.p.e aka data on previous engagements) and never shooting anything 'under 3100fps', you sound pretty young or too much COD...

you're a bored little one aren't you lol... and yeah I could say I am annihilating them doesn't mean I am trying to be Arnold Schwarzenegger, you're a typical case of someone who doesn't like someone disagreeing so tries ever so hard to remain perched on their ever dwindling soap box... grats I guess... lol. just a little box of cliches the "im from the army" cliche combined with 308 fanboi antics... predictable much? grats again I suppose... let me guess being from qld, the army and having a 308 makes you correct? more like a laugh... what ya join the army for anyways? not capable of starting your own business? needed someone to tell you what to do every day?

you sound pretty cliche or maybe too many RSL tall tales hangin out with uncle Robbo as a kid... lol
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 11 Aug 2019, 3:27 am

flutch wrote:you're a bored little one aren't you lol...

Im bored? You kicked this off Flutch, used comments on 308 big game bullets out of context for a knobpull on your pet calibre. Which was all good, I answered you factually.
and yeah I could say I am annihilating them doesn't mean I am trying to be Arnold Schwarzenegger, you're a typical case of someone who doesn't like someone disagreeing so tries ever so hard to remain perched on their ever dwindling soap box...

You mean I met your claim with facts and figures, since you didn't seem to understand bullet drop at moderate velocities.
grats I guess... lol. just a little box of cliches the "im from the army" cliche combined with 308 fanboi antics... predictable much? grats again I suppose... let me guess being from qld, the army and having a 308 makes you correct?

Well it was more the fact you didnt know what you were talking about, that did most of the work for me. :lol: I only mentioned the army to slow down the sniper terms you were using. "Engaging game and DOPE charts" for hunting, good heavens....

Not sure where you got I owned a 308 though....
more like a laugh... what ya join the army for anyways? not capable of starting your own business? needed someone to tell you what to do every day?you sound pretty cliche or maybe too many RSL tall tales hangin out with uncle Robbo as a kid... lol

Well, I joined the army because it seemed like a good idea at 18. I got out about 10 years ago and went overseas contracting and then a miner. Not really interested in businesses no, I don't have the motivation or aptitude.

I still seem to be able to handle the odd internet youngster melting down though :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by flutch » 11 Aug 2019, 3:42 am

mickb wrote:
flutch wrote:you're a bored little one aren't you lol...

Im bored? You quoted first Flutch, used comments on 308 big game bullets out of context for a knobpull on your pet calibre. Which was all good, I answered you factually.
and yeah I could say I am annihilating them doesn't mean I am trying to be Arnold Schwarzenegger, you're a typical case of someone who doesn't like someone disagreeing so tries ever so hard to remain perched on their ever dwindling soap box...

You mean I met your claim with actual facts and figures, since you didn't seem to understand bullet drop at moderate velocities.
grats I guess... lol. just a little box of cliches the "im from the army" cliche combined with 308 fanboi antics... predictable much? grats again I suppose... let me guess being from qld, the army and having a 308 makes you correct?

Well it was more the fact you didnt know what you were talking about, that did most of the work for me. :lol: I only mentioned the army to slow down the sniper terms you were using. "Engaging game and DOPE charts" for hunting, good heavens....

Not sure where you got I owned a 308 though....
more like a laugh... what ya join the army for anyways? not capable of starting your own business? needed someone to tell you what to do every day?you sound pretty cliche or maybe too many RSL tall tales hangin out with uncle Robbo as a kid... lol

Well, I joined the army because it seemed like a good idea at 18. I got out about 10 years ago and went overseas contracting and then a miner. Not really interested in businesses no, I don't have the motivation or aptitude.

I still seem to be able to handle the odd internet youngster melting down though :lol:

deary me you are desperate for attention aren't you, and no just to correct you I am not petting any calibre or cartridge, I happen to think there are a great many superior to the old lazy 308, both in performance and affordability. facts? huh? I checked out some ballistics charts and you're a bit off the reservation... and if I'm an "internet youngster" you must be a fossil lol. And yes of course, because if we go refer to our dictionary it will have "Engagement" marked down as a term specific to sniping wont it genius? and I'm guessing seeing as how people who shoot pieces of paper with rifles also use a "dope" that makes them all snipers? Also referencing one thing someone says out of context doesn't make you correct, it makes you intellectually lazy, perhaps that's why you lack the aptitude? Obviously another Rambo without a cause, lost without his fatigues, baying up about things he feels sensitive about like a disgruntled Jack Russel refusing to go unheard... cliches for days.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by flutch » 11 Aug 2019, 3:44 am

for the sake of the moderators I'm going to leave it there, Time for some pirated movies and bed. But I must thank you for the laughs... its been great fun. no doubt the temptation for having one last stab will be too much to bare, so enjoy
Last edited by flutch on 11 Aug 2019, 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 11 Aug 2019, 3:56 am

flutch wrote:for the sake of the moderators I'm going to leave it there, Time for some pirated movies and bed. But I must thank you for the laughs... its been great fun.

Probably a good idea mate. You went from zero to meltdown mode in just 4 posts, all because I said in general the 308 has better big game bullets than 270 to the OP( not even you directly) and you got upset when folks started debating what you were sprouting. Watch out for those WA animals , remember don't engage unless you have appropriate OFOF. :crazy:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by flutch » 11 Aug 2019, 3:58 am

clap clap for the handicap........ ^^^
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 11 Aug 2019, 4:05 am

flutch wrote:for the sake of the moderators I'm going to leave it there

I guess this was some other guy, maybe your sniper pair partner ? :

And just realised you edited your last post regards the having one last stab comment, to have one last stab. :lol:

It was a good laugh mate.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Aug 2019, 10:17 am

I'm glad you can concede that the 308 is OK.. That shows some maturity.
While not a favourite case of mine it is quite versatile and don't do anything badly. Just like the 223 it is popular because it is useful and its strengths outweigh its weaknesses.

You also say that anecdotal evidence should be discounted but it is people's experiences that the OP is looking for. Based on your experience with one Howa you say that it is equal in quality to a Tikka. My experience has been very different. I used my Tikka in 223 in a 500 metre Fly shoot in light gun so that I could shoot every second detail complementing my heavy gun and keep me up with the conditions. It has shot groups under three inches in that comp. I have not seen a Howa with that potential, perhaps yours can. I am sure you would tell us if it can.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Aug 2019, 12:03 pm

flutch wrote:
mickb wrote:
flutch wrote:
mickb wrote:

2400 fps is mortar speeds, might aswell have a trebuchet, and to pretend that there isnt a FK tonne of bullet drop at that weight and velocity is pretty silly as it is pertinent here in WA, a lot of terrain and areas people shoot its not uncommon to have to engage at greater distances, we after all arent amongst valleys and mountains for the majority of our terrain. so to me there are many options way more effective than a 308 for shooting in WA, sure a 308 will suffice with compromises but then again, its a bit of a clitoris isnt it, yunno given that every C#nt has one.

223 is definitely the Clitoris these days :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Aug 2019, 12:57 pm

"223 is definitely the Clitoris these days"

Then I want as many as i can get. :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Aug 2019, 7:53 pm

The general consensus for the OP is that he could do worse than a Tikka CTR Chambered in 308.

Others may recommend a Howa chambered in 300 Win Mag.

Good luck with it and let us know what you end up with.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Aug 2019, 9:21 am

SCJ429 wrote:The general consensus for the OP is that he could do worse than a Tikka CTR Chambered in 308.

Others may recommend a Howa chambered in 300 Win Mag.

Good luck with it and let us know what you end up with.

He'd be better off with something lighter to carry around the hills all day. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Aug 2019, 6:38 pm

What sort of weight were you thinking?

The Tikka weighs 3.4 kilos.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales