Recommended hunting boots

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Recommended hunting boots

Post by hiyoh » 17 Feb 2014, 3:15 pm

Hi,

After some recommendations on boots for hunting and camping in general.

Being waterproof doesn't have to be high on the list, just comfortable, tough and good quality.

Have a pair that's so old now the name has worn off the leather and I can't remember what brand they are :lol:

What are people walking in?

Cheers.
hiyoh
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Hunting boots

Post by headspace » 17 Feb 2014, 5:55 pm

I'm currently looking for a new pair of hunting boots. My Scarpa's are still good to go but I'd like something with a little more height for better support.

I really like the look of the Apache boot Ridgeline have bought out but there's not enough gain in height.

I also have a pair of Aus Army issue boots which are great, but take too long to lace up. Budget could be up to around $300.

JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Recommended hunting boots

Post by Monty » 17 Feb 2014, 8:36 pm

headspace, hiyoh

You guys both posted the same question at the same time so I've merged your topics together.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Feb 2014, 7:19 am

These are the best boots I've ever wore. A full week in armidale In the marsh chasing pigs & not a drop of water in them!

<removed broken images>
Last edited by Blackened on 04 Jul 2014, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image links broken now, removed them.
Member-Deleted

Post by upup » 18 Feb 2014, 11:31 am

I got a pair from The North Face for $90 or something...

They're hiking boots, water proof at the bottom and high supporting ankle bits with breathing mesh to not get hot.

Got them a few years ago, but I'm sure they do something similar still.
upup
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ariat » 18 Feb 2014, 6:01 pm

I've got an old pair of Dakota boots that I've had for 10 years or something.

They're sort of "work boots" really, black leather etc. But have lasted this long and have been tough as nails.

Good arch support too for anyone who has that problem... I remember them being reasonably cheap at the time too compared to Colorado and the usual brands...
Ariat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by headspace » 18 Feb 2014, 6:48 pm

Monty wrote:headspace, hiyoh

You guys both posted the same question at the same time so I've merged your topics together.

Hmm great minds and sore feet?
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 19 Feb 2014, 7:37 am

i've tried a lot of different boots over the last 20 years and nothing comes close to Scarpa's (for my liking). i dont mind paying the extra bills they cost, because they are so dam good :-)
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 19 Feb 2014, 1:50 pm

Ariat wrote:I've got an old pair of Dakota boots that I've had for 10 years or something.

I've got a pair of the same.

I have orthotics fitted so can't remember about the out of the box comfort, but they certainly last.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by stevy » 11 Mar 2014, 6:26 pm

Check out the Hi-Tec V-Lite boots.

I ended up getting a pair after the review in shooters mag and they're great.
CZ 527 VARMINT 223 REM
CZ 555 308 WIN
stevy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 11 Mar 2014, 6:35 pm

For me water proof light weight boots are king. I wear steel caps day to day but I recently changed to light boots for hunting and its heaven.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 11 Mar 2014, 7:05 pm

the one, the only... Scarpa ;-)
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Swarm » 12 Mar 2014, 8:42 am

Nike Free Runs :lol:
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by headspace » 20 Aug 2014, 8:30 pm

This an old post now but I recently had my Scarpa's fixed. My "bootsmith" told me that losing the soles is a regular problem with Scarpa boots and so for $45 he removed the soles completely, cleaned off all the old glue and re-glued them.

He backed that up with nailing which I didn't expect, so I now have my boots back good as new. He also said that as mine were the older version of the Scarpa's this repar would last, however the latest ones are designed to be binned.

JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gregg » 21 Aug 2014, 10:11 am

It's worth seeing about getting them repaired.

I've had a bunch fixed over the years and a $50 repair gave me another 2 years out of a $200 pair of boots that originally lasted the same time.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Ridgeline Apache boots

Post by south » 22 Aug 2014, 8:47 am

headspace wrote:I really like the look of the Apache boot Ridgeline have bought out but there's not enough gain in height.

I'm wearing the Ridgeline Apache boots as well.

How much more height would you want from them though?
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by headspace » 27 Sep 2014, 4:33 pm

I'm thinking at least above the ankle. I've got an old injury there that bothers me from time to time, plus dodgy knees I need all the support I can get.

JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 29 Sep 2014, 10:20 am

JD,

Something you could try... I have a mate with a crook knee after an accident. He bandages his up tight for support and uses a kneepad for kneeling and protection.

You could do the same for your ankle with the boot for support. Or the knees as well.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by headspace » 02 Oct 2014, 10:54 pm

Thanks Vic,

I usually fit up a knee brace when I go bush. Both knees are crook, but I had a torn meniscus repaired in the left one some time back and still get a reminder from time to time. I guess jumping out of helicopters back in the old days is catching up.

My Scarpa's are great since the repair, and I could probably forego the high top idea because ankle support is what counts most. Living in Northern NSW means it get pretty hot in the bush at times. There's some boots at the Cabella store at Tullamarine that look good called "Barefoot Boots", know anyone who's tried them?

JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Old Fart » 03 Oct 2014, 12:13 pm

headspace wrote:I guess jumping out of helicopters back in the old days is catching up.

Seems most of the stuff I did as a kid has come back to ruin me as an old man :lol:
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by juano86 » 29 Aug 2018, 2:55 pm

Love the Scarpa's! definitely recommend.
@juan_hunts
juano86
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by marksman » 29 Aug 2018, 7:37 pm

work boots for bunny busting with a shottie
black volley tennis shoes for very quiet stalking :thumbsup:
gumboots if there might be Joe Blakes about
have been guilty of wearing thongs spotlighting at times :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Aug 2018, 7:56 pm

juano86 wrote:Love the Scarpa's! definitely recommend.

+! top boots... :thumbsup:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bigjobss » 29 Aug 2018, 9:08 pm

+1 for scarpas. Worth the spend if you do a few kms.
I prefer lighweight shoes and believe that ankle support is a myth but when doing long hikes with heavy packs full of meat you need good underfoot support.
I run 40-50km a week in runners that weigh 200grams and my feet and legs are tough but I will not not haul a heavy pack through the mountains without proper soles.
Bigjobss

Post by marksman » 30 Aug 2018, 6:16 pm

Bigjobss wrote:+1 for scarpas. Worth the spend if you do a few kms.
I prefer lighweight shoes and believe that ankle support is a myth but when doing long hikes with heavy packs full of meat you need good underfoot support.
I run 40-50km a week in runners that weigh 200grams and my feet and legs are tough but I will not not haul a heavy pack through the mountains without proper soles.

you have to start shooting them closer to the car, I like to drive right to them :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TBJ » 01 Sep 2018, 6:49 pm

best hiking boots I've ever owned full stop are the Lowa Ranger GTX, cost me a fair bit, but by god they are the best boots I've ever owned, I've taken mine all over on day hikes to big multi week hikes, and many deer hunts, and they're holding up amazingly.
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Sep 2018, 8:38 pm

I often wear the Chinese Safety Boots out hunting, cutting firewood and playin in the snow. :lol:

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bigjobss » 01 Sep 2018, 11:24 pm

marksman wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:+1 for scarpas. Worth the spend if you do a few kms.

you have to start shooting them closer to the car, I like to drive right to them :thumbsup:

Wheres the fun in that? :lol: :drinks:
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 02 Sep 2018, 1:21 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I often wear the Chinese Safety Boots out hunting, cutting firewood and playin in the snow. :lol:

Sheesh...you're nuts...!!!
Only in NSW... :crazy:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :sarcasm:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Sep 2018, 6:49 pm

Nah just used to the cold I guess, I wear shorts, T-shirt and thongs just about all year round, I've been out in the man cave all day listening to the footy, most of the day it's been around 6 Deg and from around 3pm it's been around 3 Deg, you get used to it but I do like seeing or the Terrorists come to town rugged up to the max with beanies, cloves, ugg boots, big jackets and scarfs and I walk down the road in my shorts and t-shirt and thongs :lol: I do get some funny looks from em at times :lol:

When I'm outside in the Carport I just sit near the Woodheater, it keeps me warm if wind ain't blown like a bitch with ice in it, then I have to put my Trackies on :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey