Short range left handed pig and deer thumper

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Short range left handed pig and deer thumper

Post by Ricochet » 05 Sep 2019, 4:54 pm

Hi guys, this question might have been asked before so I'm sorry if it has been.
Similar to Bombus1's question, I'm looking at getting a rifle for deer and pigs but my question is not quite the same.

I'm right handed, but left eye dominant so I shoot left handed, shouldering a rifle right handed just feels wrong, so this limits me to makers that do lefties and I'm leaning towards Savage coz they are cheaper and money is a bit tight (around $500-$700, but I am open to second hand purchases so this opens up my options just a little.

I was looking at a .223, but I'm not the best climber so If I shoot a pig I want it to stay shot. The other thing is a .308 which otherwise I would be happy with just has too much range for the property I'm able to shoot on and the owner would probably be happier if I did'nt have something with quite that amount of range. We do get the odd Red and Sambar so I'd like the oomph to knock over either of those. Maybe I'm asking for too much but does anybody have any suggestions?
Any advice or help you guys could give me here would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Short range left handed pig and deer thumper

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Sep 2019, 8:10 pm

Min Deer Cartridges.JPG
Min Deer Cartridges.JPG (78.3 KiB) Viewed 4499 times

Sooo, the requirement for sambar really locks you into 308. But 30-30 would be legal. But really only a close up round.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ricochet » 05 Sep 2019, 8:48 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Min Deer Cartridges.JPG

Sooo, the requirement for sambar really locks you into 308. But 30-30 would be legal. But really only a close up round.

Thanks for the input Oldbloke. I was wondering about a 30-30, trying to decide if that's the go, or maybe have to just go the 308 and be very selective about when and where and be bloody careful with my shooting lanes. Although a 30-30 could be fun. Otherwise Ill just have to go a .223 and leave the deer alone and practice my sprint and climb technique.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Sep 2019, 9:13 pm

My appologies. Just noticed your in NSW. The image i uploaded is for VIc and doesnt apply in NSW. Ithink 243 is ok for NSW.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Sep 2019, 9:19 pm

Ruger #1 chambered in 416 Ruger?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Sep 2019, 9:26 pm

My appologies. Just noticed your in NSW. The image i uploaded is for VIc and doesnt apply in NSW. Ithink 243 is ok for NSW.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Sep 2019, 9:29 pm

You could buy 308 and load up heavy 200 gr bullets. Say 2250 fps
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Faedy » 05 Sep 2019, 11:51 pm

Look at the Remington 7600 Police Patrol .308. absolutely love mine. Running a lh adjustable butt stock on mine
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 06 Sep 2019, 5:00 am

Cheap, accurate, enough grunt for pigs or deer ? 6.5x55 Swede Mauser. Theirs quite a few for sale already in plastic sporter stocks and scoped in your price range. If you’re not reloading use s&b or PPU European ammo as the Americans ammo is seriously under loaded . Just a thought :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Sep 2019, 5:07 am

Oops, just noticed your talking sambar. Well, a 308 would be better suited then. Although shot placement is important, I definitely wouldn’t be using a 30-30 . I hope you find what you’re looking for, maybe a old scoped 30-06 milsurps would do the job even. Just trying to suggest stuff that’s in your suggested price range .Cheers
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 06 Sep 2019, 12:57 pm

Lever 444 or 45-70? short range and will flatten any pig or deer you might come across, although price will be the biggest obstacle I have not seen many in the range you indicated, but that's not to say they are not out there, might take a bit of time and patience to secure one.
Member-Deleted

Post by Ricochet » 06 Sep 2019, 2:08 pm

Thanks heaps for the responses.
I might take the idea of a .308 with heavy pills for a reduced range. Should knock the socks off anything I encounter. And the sudden dawning of reality just hit me, my noisy stumbling stalking skills are on par with a drunken footballer with a middle ear infection trying to perform a Belarus ballet so Ill need all the range i can get. Might have to find additional hunting grounds.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 07 Sep 2019, 9:10 am

Dont worry about the calibre being appropriate for the property - a 22lr will go well beyond 1000m if it can, just watch your background before pulling the trigger. 308 will do the job but a big lever might be good too.There arent any laws regarding calibres for game in NSW , just recommendations.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Sep 2019, 12:04 pm

Ricochet wrote:Thanks heaps for the responses.
I might take the idea of a .308 with heavy pills for a reduced range. Should knock the socks off anything I encounter.

PaddyT is correct though.
A round nose will help a bit too. TBH what i suggested will help but doesnt help if you shoot without considering whats behind the target.

The other thing is with the 308 you arnt locked into someting like the 3030 where later you might find later your undergunned.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ricochet » 09 Sep 2019, 2:07 pm

Considering what is behind the target....this is what I meant by being selective and careful about my shooting lanes. I really don't need to miss a target and nail a water tank, livestock, a neighbouring house or worst case a human being. If I stick to shooting down into gullies and scrubby hillsides there should be enough soft ground and trees to pull up any missed shots.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Sep 2019, 2:43 pm

There is a new LH BA Savage on (30.06) ozgunsales.com.

Starting loads for that and 308 are about 2300fps with 200gr bullet. Not much in it.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 09 Sep 2019, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by CrackThump » 09 Sep 2019, 6:08 pm

having just jumped on the lever action bandwagon, would this help your leftie/rightie conundrum.?

leverguns dont discriminate by left or right.. apparently theyre GREAT short range guns even with iron sights. All sorts of calibres and often available second hand in your price range. I recently got my rossi 357 for $650 second hand.

and its a sh*t ton of cowboy fun hahaha

just a thought.
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Ricochet » 09 Sep 2019, 9:35 pm

Oldbloke wrote:There is a new LH BA Savage on (30.06) ozgunsales.com.

Starting loads for that and 308 are about 2300fps with 200gr bullet. Not much in it.

Thanks Oldbloke, I've been keeping an eye on that site. 30 06 is a touch bigger than i was thinking, im not reloading but might have to think about it . I suppose it depends on the load, but how much more kick is there over a .308?
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Sep 2019, 9:57 pm

Not a lot more recoil, but you will feel it over the bench. Not to much hunting.

But......to get those lightish loads you will have to reload. You cant buy light loads.

The ADI load data will be the best guide.

Maybe ring the dealer and ask if they have a 308 same price.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey