My first hunting experience

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

My first hunting experience

Post by Luke91 » 14 Oct 2019, 5:32 pm

March 2019 I did my R-license accredited course with the ADA (Australian deer association) and with in a week I am fully licensed and ready to hunt NSW state forests. I recently went on me first hunt with a mate of myn and was a great success in my books. Although only being there for a little over a day (hunting is only permitted 30 minutes before and after sunrise/set) i had accomplished some of the major things i wanted to, I had experience what it was like to hike hard for 14 hours with weight on your back looking at scat of all shapes and sizes and come home with a empty esky. Although we spent the best of 14 hours of the first day out putting in the work and only saw wombat and wallaby scat and not 1 single animal, I still had a great time and have learnt some major lessons from this. On the second morning we got up early spent about 3 hours in all the wrong places again. After packing up camp we decided to drive down to the lowest elevation we could hunt and do a hike along the border of the state forest. After 10 minutes of going up and down valleys we started coming across deer scat and alot more green growth (the forest was very dry and noisey). Within another 10 minutes we saw the first deer!! It was a small doe and was just outside the border, We had spooked her anyway. It was a great way to end the trip and was all that was needed to give me the motivation to plan another hunt as soon as i got home

Although my expectations for hunts are going to get more steep with hopefully more success, This was all that was needed to get us both excited to head back.
Luke91
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: My first hunting experience

Post by Wm.Traynor » 14 Oct 2019, 6:57 pm

Good luck to you Luke :thumbsup: :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 14 Oct 2019, 7:24 pm

Good luck mate. As we all say - that's hunting.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 14 Oct 2019, 7:37 pm

your on your way Luke :thumbsup:
good on you :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Oct 2019, 8:08 pm

You learnt / learned ? What the fark is the right term lol....anyway - you have gained more knowledge than you even know or are aware of, on this trip...you’ll learn more next and so on...and on one oft hose trips, you’ll be eating venison for dinner :-)
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 14 Oct 2019, 8:37 pm

This might make us all think back to our first hunting experience but I’ll have to put some effort into remembering where it was
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 14 Oct 2019, 9:07 pm

A good little story...even on your first & unsuccessful hunt... :thumbsup:

Like Tas said...you leant'ded more than you are aware of...!!

Good on you mate... :thumbsup:

Im already looking forward to reading your next one...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 15 Oct 2019, 7:42 pm

Blr243 wrote:This might make us all think back to our first hunting experience but I’ll have to put some effort into remembering where it was

My first hunting experience resulted in no piggies for me, but I was only 12 years old! LOL

Got one second time though! ;)
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey