Hunters in state forests nsw

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunters in state forests nsw

Post by Blr243 » 16 Oct 2019, 1:10 pm

I’m not keen for the moment because the Forrest’s in nsw are too far for me to drive. But I have always been curious about a few things. I did google to learn a few things about the licenceing , permits safety etc but still I don’t know how it works. I read that only some of the Forrest’s allow hunting ... so is the permit given each time to a certain hunter for a given couple of days? And are more than One party of hunters allowed to hunt in the stare Forrest at once ? And if bushwalkers or any other nature enthusiasts are also sharing the park at the same time , and they are sitting under a gumtree haveing a sandwich, is there safety depending on the care and commonsense of those hunting with firearms just around the corner ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Hunters in state forests nsw

Post by Geech » 16 Oct 2019, 6:42 pm

There’s an online booking system where you book in for a period of time - I think the max is 7 days per booking, and you can have two bookings outstanding at any given time.

Different forests have different rules. Some will be weekend only, some will be bow hunting only, and some will have periods they can’t be hunted because there’s things like logging going on. You have to carry maps and a GPS at all times, and they show what areas you can and cannot hunt in.

Each forest has a maximum number of hunters allowed at any given time (generally from 4-50 in the ones I tend to hunt). There’s no such thing as a group booking. If I wanted to hunt with friends, we each have to make our own booking - and anyone else could do the same - as long as it doesn’t exceed the max for that forest. When you check the availability for the forest the system tells you the number of remaining hunters allowed in the forest on any given day. The only exception to “group” bookings may be if you’re trying to book in with a minor, but I’ve never done it so not entirely sure.

As a hunter you need to be aware there may be other people (both hunters and non-hunters) using the forest, and practice safety and common sense. You do also have to wear an item of blaze orange on your upper body while hunting. I imagine most non-hunters using a forest don’t even know there could be hunters there. I’ve personally only ever seen non-hunters a couple of times, and it’s always been driving around though.

Overall I find it a pretty good system, and am happy to have access to some good country to hunt.
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Hunters in state forests nsw

Post by Blr243 » 17 Oct 2019, 1:03 pm

Thank you geech for taking the time. I understand it better now. Hopefully it all goes well and that the system can benefit all parties for many years to come
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey