Hunting and undesirables

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting and undesirables

Post by Potatoes » 13 Dec 2019, 6:55 pm

I am curious, mainly with, but not limited to, peoples who hunt state forrests in northern NSW, whether while you have been on a session happened upon groups or individuals who are up to general no good? I heard a second hand storey from a coworker about someone he knows having a shotty pulled on him by some gronk protecting a drug crop. His property backed onto state forrest and he was chasing dogs. Anyone have some first hand experience? I want a consensus on whether this is a common occurence.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Hunting and undesirables

Post by Blr243 » 13 Dec 2019, 7:47 pm

I heard full automatic machine gun fire once while I was bowhunting on private property ... it made me nervous
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by flutch » 14 Dec 2019, 12:12 am

Blr243 wrote:I heard full automatic machine gun fire once while I was bowhunting on private property ... it made me nervous

Impossible, John Howard banned them all!
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Wombat » 14 Dec 2019, 8:28 am

Blr243 wrote:I heard full automatic machine gun fire once while I was bowhunting on private property ... it made me nervous

I've heard full automatic in Adelaide. That was a worry.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by GojiraSteve » 14 Dec 2019, 8:39 am

Nothing like the above.

Illegal spotlighters used to be pretty rife in a couple of areas i hunt regularly. Seems to have dropped off markedly in the last couple of years though.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Dec 2019, 8:46 am

Wombat wrote:I heard full automatic machine gun fire once while I was bowhunting on private property ... it made me nervous[
I've heard full automatic in Adelaide. That was a worry.

I heard a machine gun once as well, I was dressed in green and carrying the Pig myself.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Dec 2019, 8:58 am

Mainly just illegsl spot lighting. But as mentioned, seems to me reducing.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Dec 2019, 11:00 am

On the other side of the coin...

Out the back of Nowra had hunters shoot over the top of us. I guess the d!cks didn’t like trail bikes.

Happened at woods point in Vic too. Same thing, shots dropping limbs off of the trees above our heads. It was spooky.
The hunter heard us talking in the pub about it and admitted it was him. Let’s just say he didn’t make it too far from the pub with all his teeth in tact. Idiot
Member-Deleted

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Dec 2019, 2:44 pm

Intact is one word Denno. If you get charged with assault the coppers will take your bang sticks off you. Just a thought.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Potatoes » 14 Dec 2019, 3:12 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Intact is one word Denno. If you get charged with assault the coppers will take your bang sticks off you. Just a thought.

What worries me is the situation where you are approached in the bush, and that someone acosts you. The Ivan Milats of the world aside, the case in point Im more sort of aluding to would be protecting a drug crop. If a physical altercation ensues, you can’t exactly put the rifle down and use your fists, you may end up with your own firearm used against you. I think some areas are worse than others, like i’ve got no interest in finding a patch within 100km of Nimbin. Cannabis is a water hungry plant, some areas further west may not be as attractive options for that kind of operation. Quite often crops are booby trapped, and i wouldn’t be surprised if more high tech monitoring is in place.

In Dennys case i doubt the cops would have taken his bang sticks as he was on a trail bike (i assume not out shooting) and if his account had’ve checked out i dont think a judge would convict him. More likely the other dipshit would get his taken.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 14 Dec 2019, 3:34 pm

I heard about a New Zealand deer hunter that found a crop so he returned, stole it dried it and sold it ....I would much rather just walk away. Imagine quickly stuffing it all into your Ute and along comes a couple of blokes from the mongrel mob wanting to cut of your hands or your head or both
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 14 Dec 2019, 3:53 pm

There’s lots of “alternate lifestyle “ types that live on lease land next to crown land and grow their weed. But some of these folks have links to outlaw bike clubs and I would backpedal away from that crap asap. I know a fella who about 10 years ago was visiting a relative about a hour inland from Byron bay , took a wrong turn and ended up being confronted by biker types with a sks and a pump action shotty and told to turn around in no uncertain terms. I don’t think they paid any attention to little johnies gun buyback scheme. When you’re out bush ya gotta be cautious at times
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Dec 2019, 10:53 pm

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> See my post in "Hunting & Varminting" in reply to "Go find your own patch" by Elmer. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Dec 2019, 9:49 am

Potatoes wrote:"]Intact is one word Denno. If you get charged with assault the coppers will take your bang sticks off you. Just a thought.
In Dennys case i doubt the cops would have taken his bang sticks as he was on a trail bike (i assume not out shooting) and if his account had’ve checked out i dont think a judge would convict him. More likely the other dipshit would get his taken.

If you and your mates follow someone out of the pub and attack them, punching them in their face and knocking their teeth out. You have violently assaulted them, if you end up convicted in court the coppers will not consider you to be a fit and proper person to hold a firearms licence and you will not be able to own a firearm.

If someone has shot at you out bush, you would be better advised to report it to Police.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Dec 2019, 4:42 pm

Found a crop myself. Must have been almost 30 years ago.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by flutch » 15 Dec 2019, 4:48 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Found a crop myself. Must have been almost 30 years ago.

there are some patches of reserve that I walk in aid of flushing the foxes and cats into my mates creek so we can have at them, almost every time I walk it (its not too far from town) there is usually a crop in there, I hate drugs and so I trample them and then continue
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 15 Dec 2019, 4:54 pm

flutch wrote:

there are some patches of reserve that I walk in aid of flushing the foxes and cats into my mates creek so we can have at them, almost every time I walk it (its not too far from town) there is usually a crop in there, I hate drugs and so I trample them and then continue

:thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Dec 2019, 11:20 am

SCJ429 wrote:
If you and your mates follow someone out of the pub and attack them, punching them in their face and knocking their teeth out. You have violently assaulted them, if you end up convicted in court the coppers will not consider you to be a fit and proper person to hold a firearms licence and you will not be able to own a firearm.

If someone has shot at you out bush, you would be better advised to report it to Police.

I didn’t assault anyone. I’m a peace cat. One of the fellas I was riding with did the damage. I didn’t see the affray but I did see his knuckles afterwards. He was a violent bloke. Pretty sure he is still in port phillip prison actually for decking a copper.

It was well deserved I think after what happened... and then bragging about it.

And no we didn’t have any guns. This was 20 odd years ago
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Dec 2019, 11:22 am

... and reporting it to the police

What a waste of time that would be
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Dec 2019, 6:29 pm

Denno wrote:
I didn’t assault anyone. I’m a peace cat. One of the fellas I was riding with did the damage. I didn’t see the affray but I did see his knuckles afterwards. He was a violent bloke. Pretty sure he is still in port phillip prison actually for decking a copper.

It was well deserved I think after what happened... and then bragging about it.

And no we didn’t have any guns. This was 20 odd years ago

A pretty messy situation that I'm sure most LACs would be distancing themselves from flat out like a lizard drinking.
And even after 20 years,,,,,,,,, I for one hope your choice of ? friends/accomplices has improved vastly.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Dec 2019, 9:04 pm

I had a really good employee once that always had extremely short hair. I asked why one day. He said that in a fight no one can grab you by the hair. It’s a bit unusual I think to be grooming yourself to suit barfights when u could be cutting your hair in a way that attracts women instead
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Dec 2019, 9:32 pm

Blr243 wrote:I had a really good employee once that always had extremely short hair. I asked why one day. He said that in a fight no one can grab you by the hair. It’s a bit unusual I think to be grooming yourself to suit barfights when u could be cutting your hair in a way that attracts women instead

GOLD,,,,,,, +1
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Dec 2019, 10:56 am

Die Judicii wrote:A pretty messy situation that I'm sure most LACs would be distancing themselves from flat out like a lizard drinking.
And even after 20 years,,,,,,,,, I for one hope your choice of ? friends/accomplices has improved vastly.

Hmmm not really. I’m hanging here with you pack of crazys :x

As for the rest of it, I think you have missed the point champ
Member-Deleted

Post by FNQ » 18 Dec 2019, 10:10 pm

Ive come across crops a few times heard and all sorts stories around FNQ. Always just kept on going about my business.

However I did get a call from the police once about my ute (number plate) being seen in a cash crop so I’m guess the police sometimes setup cameras around the crops and watch.

Trespassing / poaching is also big in FNQ mainly chasing pigs. Idiots ripping through cane paddocks and fences etc.
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 19 Dec 2019, 1:31 pm

FNQ wrote:Trespassing / poaching is also big in FNQ mainly chasing pigs. Idiots ripping through cane paddocks and fences etc.

Ya not bloody wrong! Drives me nuts, can't really say Iv'e had a run in or issue, other then out and about thinking your the only soul around and you hear a shot that seems like it's only 100m away, but have found barefoot tracks in places they shouldn't be, could be big foot, could be bowhunters :lol:
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by flutch » 19 Dec 2019, 5:57 pm

FNQ wrote:Trespassing / poaching is also big in FNQ mainly chasing pigs. Idiots ripping through cane paddocks and fences etc.

This is close to the sole reason we didn't get R licenses in WA, minus the cane and insert dairy and sheep properties. Pig dog flogs and the bros from across the tasman, thanks a lot for the rampant stupidity.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch