Best meat from a big animal... Deer, pig, whatever...

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Best meat from a big animal... Deer, pig, whatever...

Post by sooey » 28 Feb 2014, 11:42 am

G'day,

Forgetting hunting for rabbits or whatever small critters where you've got to eat the whole thing for a meal, but for big stuff that's going to fill a freezer what do you guys think are the best cuts?

Seems a lot of guys when deer hunting and others too just take the 4 legs, but I reckon that's missing out of heaps. I'm not an expert butcher by any means, but I've had plenty of good meals cooked with the saddle, or shoulder etc. Bits guys usually don't take.

What do you reckon the best cut is?
Remington 700 CDL chambered in .270 Winchester
Remington 700 CDL chambered in 300 Win Mag
4-16x 40mm Bushnell Elite scopes
sooey
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Best meat from a big animal... Deer, pig, whatever...

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Feb 2014, 12:02 pm

Fallow backstraps
Member-Deleted

Post by Brute » 28 Feb 2014, 12:34 pm

I'd have to cast my vote for pork shoulder.

Slow roast pork shoulder with tomatoes and spices, perfecto.
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ebr love » 28 Feb 2014, 12:39 pm

How you cook it is the trick to making it all equally good I reckon.

There's fillet steak or rump, but cooked well either is just as tasty and satisfying.

IMO.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 28 Feb 2014, 1:04 pm

The idea of only taking such a small percentage of any animal shot for meat doesn't sit well with me. Shooting a 100kg deer and only taking 3-4kg of back straps strikes me as a terrible waste of meat. Sure some animals and some cuts may not make the best eating but it makes sense to use as much of the meat as you can.

Sure take the most tender bits for steaks for your self, but take as much as you can for sausages,stews, give it to friends even if they only use it as dog food it won't be wasted.

And what better way to introduce others to naturally harvested meats. Might even convince some of them that hunting and shooting us a good thing ;)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Hatter » 28 Feb 2014, 2:56 pm

Anything pork related is always tops :D

Stew with neck or shoulder, roast legs, bacon, pigs belly, pork chops.

You can't go wrong ;)
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 28 Feb 2014, 3:05 pm

Slow roast neck is about the best from everything I reckon.

Fillet steaks obviously good, but you get so little and buying it costs a fortune. Money better spent elsewhere mostly I reckon.

I agree with Chronos that only taking the legs is wasteful. A few practice runs and people can easily take a lot more. There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to do it too for anyone who needs info.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Guliver » 28 Feb 2014, 4:21 pm

We used to kill pigs for the family at my father in laws farm up in Grenfell and take some legs to Young to be processed for ham and bacon, best ham and bacon from our own pigs, feed mostly on our own gristed wheat.
Last edited by Guliver on 28 Feb 2014, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Feb 2014, 4:54 pm

Chronos wrote:The idea of only taking such a small percentage of any animal shot for meat doesn't sit well with me. Shooting a 100kg deer and only taking 3-4kg of back straps strikes me as a terrible waste of meat. Sure some animals and some cuts may not make the best eating but it makes sense to use as much of the meat as you can.

Sure take the most tender bits for steaks for your self, but take as much as you can for sausages,stews, give it to friends even if they only use it as dog food it won't be wasted.

And what better way to introduce others to naturally harvested meats. Might even convince some of them that hunting and shooting us a good thing ;)

Chronos

Clearly another person that can't f***ing read! All the op asked was what's your best cut! Not what moral high horse your going to ride.
Member-Deleted

Post by Chronos » 28 Feb 2014, 5:17 pm

Jaso wrote:Clearly another person that can't f***ing read! All the op asked was what's your best cut! Not what moral high horse your going to ride.

What's with all the agro? It's Friday afternoon! I get enough of that on Sydney's roads.

I have no "favourite" cut, all cuts can be delicious is prepared and cooked in the correct way. Beef ribs or cheeks, brisket, venison sausages, rump it all tastes good if treated with respect by the chef

I also don't care what you think of my post, i do however agree with the opening post when he says

"a lot of guys when deer hunting and others too just take the 4 legs, but I reckon that's missing out of heaps."

Now take your agro elsewhere, I had enough of it on other Australian forums over the past couple of years

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 28 Feb 2014, 5:57 pm

Jaso wrote:Fallow backstraps

Those and the silverside muscles from the leg are all I really bother with too. Occaisonally I will chop a couple of rib sections specifically for spit roasting but the rest is just mince and salami as far as I am concerned.

And the dogs usually eat well too.

Being from TAS we don't get much else than fallow, no pigs, not many goats etc The odd forester on permit but mainly small wallaby which are shot by the dozens each night and you get sick of them quick.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Warrigul » 28 Feb 2014, 6:05 pm

OFF TOPIC ALERT:

A quick personal note on the subject of wasting meat etc,

Whilst there are many different views, I take the stance(handed down by many generations) that most animals we as hunters specifically target are introduced pests and do untold damage to the environment. I would prefer to see ten pig/goat/deer/rabbits etc shot and left to rot rather that just a single animal shot and all the meat recovered.

While some may think this wasteful I refuse to allow an introduced species any cute and cuddly rights and may all proponents of 100% usage please make sure they eat every single carp they catch next time when cod fishing.

I have left plenty to rot, crows, tasmanian devils, quolls and tigers have to eat too.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Chronos » 28 Feb 2014, 6:29 pm

Warrigul wrote:OFF TOPIC ALERT:

A quick personal note on the subject of wasting meat etc,

Whilst there are many different views, I take the stance(handed down by many generations) that most animals we as hunters specifically target are introduced pests and do untold damage to the environment. I would prefer to see ten pig/goat/deer/rabbits etc shot and left to rot rather that just a single animal shot and all the meat recovered.

While some may think this wasteful I refuse to allow an introduced species any cute and cuddly rights and may all proponents of 100% usage please make sure they eat every single carp they catch next time when cod fishing.

I have left plenty to rot, crows, tasmanian devils, quolls and tigers have to eat too.

Perhaps I worded my post poorly, I was of course talking about animals shot for eating, not simple pest control. I wouldn't confuse the two and no one expects a shooter to butcher out a boar, stinky or fox. Lol

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 28 Feb 2014, 9:44 pm

tenderloins, not much meat but,,,,,,tender :)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Seconds » 01 Mar 2014, 7:33 am

nothing beats fillet I reckon.

Same problem as tenderloins though, hardly any of it for the size of the animal.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Monty » 01 Mar 2014, 8:39 am

Rib-eye on the bone.

Still on the bone is a must!
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 01 Mar 2014, 1:10 pm

Monty wrote:Rib-eye on the bone.

Still on the bone is a must!

Fallow ribs are end of day, or next morning barbecue for us a few times during deer season.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Skadoo » 01 Mar 2014, 2:30 pm

I do love a good beef rib-eye.

About $30 a kg or something though :(
Skadoo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Westy » 06 Mar 2014, 7:08 am

Jaso wrote:Fallow backstraps

X2 :mrgreen: :twisted: :evil: :mrgreen:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Wheelbarrow » 06 Mar 2014, 11:15 am

Skadoo wrote:I do love a good beef rib-eye.

The whole rack!

Rack of lamb with plum sauce is unbeatable.
Nikon Monarch 4-16x42
Ruger Hawkeye Standard chambered in .270 Win
Wheelbarrow
Private
Private

Western Australia

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey