The pork pages

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: The pork pages

Post by Wm.Traynor » 31 Dec 2019, 7:21 pm

glad to hear that you and your rifle are both OK :D :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Jan 2020, 3:03 pm

I put in quite a big effort last night got home 430 am I had ideas about shooting a pig exactly midnight 2019/2020 but it did not quite work out I got one at 1215 am in my favourite paddock got a couple more on the waterhole and also on the hole I got 3 cats and a fox. I think I saw a dingo too. I always knew pigs were drawn to water but last night I realise d how successful fox and cat hunting can be on the water in summer. I was seeing cats and foxes constantly all night and they will all b there tonight too I reckon I I’ll try to get back here again end of jan
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Jan 2020, 10:53 pm

Midnight progress report. I got 3 on the waterhole pre dark then another 5 after dark. No effort whatsoever. But they were all average or small. They were Approaching the hole very cautiously. Feeding on the dead ones too Saw some in the fav paddock on the way back to house but wind was bad. Eventually they spooked and I was cranky at the wind for my long walk. But one hundred m from the Ute I thought I smelt pigs so up with the binos and sure enough roughly ten were making their way across a cult paddock to my fav paddock this time the wind was firmly in my favour and the anmbish worked well I got one and headed back to house. Brief snack Top up water bottles with cold ones , make sure the beer I’m going to have in a few hours is correctly positioned in the fridge so that it’s perfevtly chilly after my next paddock stint. About the put the gear and rifle and dog into the quad so I will have 180 degree thermal scanning ability as I’m moving through my fav paddocks .... bloody roo ra n in to my side panels on the wa back to the house no my door only opens a little and I have to squeeze into the Ute. Lucky I’m not too fat. Heading off out real soon
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jan 2020, 5:35 am

63o am. Final report for the night. I just got back. Kicking back with an exceptionally cold corona and some fish fingers for breakfast. Had a very successful night , 13 pigs, 4 foxes no cats. Now it must b snooze time
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 02 Jan 2020, 7:52 pm

That's a good haul mate but by crikey you've had to work for it. All that broken sleep would finish me.
Good luck to you Blr :thumbsup: :clap:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jan 2020, 10:36 pm

I think my luck may have run out. This arv when I arrived at my remote water hole the trees were thrashing and dust was blowing mad. And I thought hang on we might be in for some rain. It was totally fine when I left camp ..... a couple of suckers turned up as I was settling in but I let them be. Shot a couple of boars. Nott much tuned up. Saw a fox and cat. Took a drive to the other neighbours cattle yards but they were void of pigs and foxes. Then the dust storm came and thermal binos were struggling. Then I got wet from the rain. The thunder and lightning was brutal. Then I had to drive back to house real slow in the black soil. Parts of it near steep drop offs were scary in the black soil. It was as if I had very little steering ....hilux looks disgusting.....I won’t drive anymore for fear of getting bogged and doing track damage. I could give the quad a try but if the black soil decides to stick to everything I’ll get tragic build up on the wheels them I’m screwed. So it looks like Jim beam and internet for me tonight ( and cold baked beans for dinner because the storm has knocked out the power )
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jan 2020, 10:41 pm

Last boar for th trip probably the best pig
Attachments
04D7018C-C3A5-4990-8EB5-ECB922FEEE39.jpeg
04D7018C-C3A5-4990-8EB5-ECB922FEEE39.jpeg (190.43 KiB) Viewed 5669 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jan 2020, 10:44 pm

I’m done till I jet back her end January.... It’s over to you Ferris and D.J. to keep the bacon on the barbecue
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 Jan 2020, 11:39 pm

Its been a pleasure to follow your hunting posts Blr243 mate thanks for the good reads cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 03 Jan 2020, 6:20 am

Thanks GDB. looking fwd to hear of your wild dog hunting missions
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 03 Jan 2020, 11:33 am

Thanks for the words and pics, Blr. Enjoyed every bit of it, including the green sling in your rifle :thumbsup: ;)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Ricochet » 03 Jan 2020, 12:58 pm

Great posts and thanks for writing them up. keep up the good work.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 03 Jan 2020, 5:13 pm

How about you all send me 50 bucks each week and I will hunt non stop. And write posts non stop and I won’t have to work again And when u are working non stop all your lives I will remember you. Sound fair? I’m such a reasonable considerate person always thinking of others
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 03 Jan 2020, 6:21 pm

Great reports BLR and sounds like you’re in a good spot. I don’t get those numbers each night but the average size is phenomenal and being my “close property”, only an hour from Brissy, what’s not to like.
I did well on New Years Day getting a nice 3/4 size doe and an 80 odd kg pig. That’s medium sized for that spot. Here’s a couple of my fav pics from the last month or two

I’d put some pics of the big pigs on here but my ugly mugs in the shot. Is it common practice to put pics of yourself on here??
Attachments
7D6ED928-2E64-4FAF-A0C1-1F04F6214365.jpeg
7D6ED928-2E64-4FAF-A0C1-1F04F6214365.jpeg (2.97 MiB) Viewed 5614 times
C94AB730-CFCC-49C6-9BC2-54E4F2B471E5.jpeg
C94AB730-CFCC-49C6-9BC2-54E4F2B471E5.jpeg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 5614 times
C45F4227-C8FB-42D8-B16D-E4764764D8FD.png
C45F4227-C8FB-42D8-B16D-E4764764D8FD.png (2.53 MiB) Viewed 5614 times
405BCAEA-7104-4D31-9780-2D3A3D2A238C.png
405BCAEA-7104-4D31-9780-2D3A3D2A238C.png (2.56 MiB) Viewed 5614 times
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 03 Jan 2020, 7:09 pm

Well done with the dog Ferris. Is that a deer in the pic ? How often do u use the setting “black hot “? And why ? Any idea why there’s big pigs in your area ? I hunt a place in injune where there’s a high percentage of solo good boars ( never seen a mob of sows and suckers there in my life. Buggered if I know why. ) I hunt a deer dingo block that’s exactly 100 k from home( bris) but the pigs deer and dingoes are extremely thin on the ground ..... it’s ok to post pics of your ugly mug. You have already done it and no one complained.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 03 Jan 2020, 7:10 pm

No it isn't ferrisweil but if a gun hater recognises you, there could be consequences :unknown: but to be truthful, I don't know if they surveil this forum or not.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 03 Jan 2020, 8:00 pm

Blr243 wrote:Well done with the dog Ferris. Is that a deer in the pic ? How often do u use the setting “black hot “? And why ? Any idea why there’s big pigs in your area ? I hunt a place in injune where there’s a high percentage of solo good boars ( never seen a mob of sows and suckers there in my life. Buggered if I know why. ) I hunt a deer dingo block that’s exactly 100 k from home( bris) but the pigs deer and dingoes are extremely thin on the ground ..... it’s ok to post pics of your ugly mug. You have already done it and no one complained.

Yeah mate. That’s a deer in the pic. The property owner wants them gone as they eat the saplings in his orchard. The video is even cooler but seems you can’t load vids on here??
I find I swap between hot black/white all night depending on conditions. I find hot white great for finding pigs/deer/dogs when they’re hiding amongst trees or the thick stuff. The white really shows up. I’ve just started using hot red a bit more as well but it’s only good for big stuff under 100m, even 50m is preferable. Hot black is great for scanning larger areas when you’re sitting still but as I said, I change brightness/contrast and the black/white a LOT throughout a night. Hot white is hard to go past though for finding stuff...
As for big pigs, I think it’s a combo of a few things. No one gets to them during the day at this spot; it’s too inaccessible where they camp, so they are under no pressure to move. (Interesting story on Landline this weekend gone by that debunked the theory that pigs move a lot - they threw a GPS on heap of pigs and found they actually don’t really move a lot UNLESS there’s pressure on them) I’m also the only person that’s has access to the block where they are coming out at night and I also think they’ve gotten so big that even any hunting dogs would struggle to get some of these pigs, but I’m not a “dogger” so I’m only guessing on that one.
Having said all that; I don’t think you can discount thermal in the way we hunt them. As they say, big pigs don’t get big by being dumb and having thermal allows you to see them before they see you (ie, you’d be no chance getting these pigs with a torch - their escape routes are just too close) so I can be pretty selective in taking certain pigs or finding the big boars who usually seem to be on their own.
All this stacks up to a pocket of pigs that haven’t had a lot of pressure over the last decade. You go out west (take anywhere in Australia that’s around 4-5 hrs from the coast, and every man and his dog is literally culling pigs.

Anyway, I’m far from an expert but these theories seem to apply to our haunts and I guess that’s what it’s all about; working out what works where YOU hunt.

Here’s some pics of the honkers recently. There’s bigger than these ones as well; a lot bigger...
Attachments
8944045B-DE05-4F9A-83E2-34893D57526D.jpeg
8944045B-DE05-4F9A-83E2-34893D57526D.jpeg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 5607 times
414BA8F7-6548-4EA1-B15F-45B66C0A4128.jpeg
414BA8F7-6548-4EA1-B15F-45B66C0A4128.jpeg (2.12 MiB) Viewed 5607 times
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 03 Jan 2020, 10:02 pm

Beautifull boars. When you mentioned the difficulty of getting these boars with a torch it reminded me of a test one night I did on a mob of pigs on a cultivation paddock that I couldn’t be bothered shooting , I used a red torch to shine on them and I threw the RED light around crazy back and forth to create a mad zig zag of fast shadows ......,I got no reaction whatever. They were just not aware. Then I tried the green light and they were all gone in less than a second as if I gave them a full mag from an AK
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 03 Jan 2020, 10:05 pm

Wyn traynor , this thing about gun haters recognizeing us , I have not thought it through at all what could they do ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Jan 2020, 11:19 am

Blr243 wrote:Wyn traynor , this thing about gun haters recognizeing us , I have not thought it through at all what could they do ?

Depending on the kind of person they were, they might be able to discriminate against you in a variety of ways; socially or professionally for instance. I have not exactly, "put my mind to it", but that is what springs to mind at the moment.
Yes, I am paranoid. My wife's family are all gun-haters and I have to mind my Ps and Qs around them. I don't speak about shooting, for instance. That is, I don't give them an opportunity to pay out on me, if it can be helped. I don't speak to strangers about it either, until I know and trust them. I will leave you with those thoughts for now, mate. Good Hunting :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 04 Jan 2020, 12:50 pm

I understand what you mean. I don’t usually bring up the subject either mostly ..... modern civilisation is continually evolving in the direction of city dwelling to the point where more and more people are are very out of touch with the traditional hunter gatherer / fisher way of life ... I was once asked by some work customers ( both about 50 ) what I was up to on my holidays. I said hunting pigs with my dogs. They did not at all give me a hard time. They were just curious and had never heard of the practice and had no idea that people actually do it. I think it’s been done for hundreds if not thousands of years ... without my connection to and participation in a real primitive way of life I would have nothing
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 04 Jan 2020, 3:12 pm

Pretty much everyone I know, knows that I shoot/hunt. Not everyone is probably fine with it, but hey, if they’ve got a problem with my lifestyle then we don’t really hang out together. It’s like vegetarians; I just shake my head, but I don’t actively go looking to befriend them or go out of my way give them grief.
In-laws I could see being a problem lol
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jan 2020, 4:28 pm

Yep, in the past i have made it a rule to not advertise that i shoot/hunt. Im sure in the past its been held against me at work. Normally just mention fishing.

Having said that, now semi retired so talk about it more often. If they dont like it, stiff chedder.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey