The pork pages

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: The pork pages

Post by Blr243 » 29 Dec 2019, 11:13 am

Second pig from the remote waterhole
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Dec 2019, 11:15 am

Second pig from the remote waterhole
Attachments
917F6B3B-A2AF-4BC3-BA05-FD5F4EB03265.jpeg
917F6B3B-A2AF-4BC3-BA05-FD5F4EB03265.jpeg (199.7 KiB) Viewed 5656 times
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Dec 2019, 11:29 am

After walking away from the quad and up to the yards there was only two pigs amongst the cattle it took me a while to identify them Sometimes the cows are standing sometimes laying down. The cattle can see me coming so sometimes I have to spook them just a fraction ie get them to stand and be slightly nervous but not do the bolt and ruin my stalk. Then if I crouch I can see between the legs of the standing cows and work out which pig I want. After crawling under a couple of barbed wire fences ( don’t u hate it when the mesh from your mini back pack gets stuck on the barbs of the bottom wire as u are crawling thru cow dung) I managed to get a shot far enough away from the cattle ... I think those cattle are used to me now. They did not freak at all and just wandered away temporarily giving me a crack at the second pig who was slow to move off .....From memory think it was ON ONE WHEEL who replied to my funny feet topic about the cattle and pigs having to walk funny when their feet are deformed. I remember now that the second pig was walking strange and was slow to depart at the sound of the rifle so that helped me secure the second pig. Cattle came back for another look but were cruisey and curious and never looked like giving me any dramas. I dragged the to carcasses away from the troughs. Two months ago I found four foxes feeding on shot pigs here so I might get lucky with that tonight.
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Dec 2019, 11:40 am

Then I went back to the other neighbour ( my fav) and found a mob of 22 feeding quietly so I got one and the others did the bolt ....they ran far enough away that I thought best not to pursue them so I made my way back to the quad and did a big circle enabling to get close to the mob again with little efffort. Once I was about a k away I made a plan. I knew this part of the paddock well from previous stints. I flicked off the red headlight on the quad and slowly and quietly steered the quad in the direction with no lights at all. I used my thermal hand held binos to constantly check for possible obstacles and to maintain correct direction in relation to the mob. I was loving to fact that without all the walking effort i could close the gap with no lights to alarm the mob and with the breeze in my face helping to keep the sound of the engine unnoticed .....but all good things must come to an end. I know if it pushed it too far they would spook so I pulled up shouldered the rifle and was on my way on foot for the completion of the stalk. I managed to get two from the mob It’s got to a point now that I can lay down in the stubble without noticing the stalks stabbing me in the chest too much I must be getting used to it
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Dec 2019, 12:01 pm

Sow has nervous drink before wallowing
Attachments
F3284287-4930-4C5A-9475-6FE4425BAA42.png
F3284287-4930-4C5A-9475-6FE4425BAA42.png (30.65 KiB) Viewed 5651 times
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 29 Dec 2019, 5:14 pm

Good Hunting Blr :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Dec 2019, 6:40 pm

I shot one small pig so far this trip the rest have been average. I feel myself getting hungry for a whopper. I have five more nights to do it but the sooner the better
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 30 Dec 2019, 12:37 am

Brief mid night report. Sad day for pig hunting. Only got two I took a nicely furred fox and another cat tonight.......... so 2 cats. One fox and two pigs. Haveing an early night so I should be rested for a good effort tomorrow and tomorrow night
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 30 Dec 2019, 12:44 am

Brief mid night report. Sad day for pig hunting. Only got two I took a nicely furred fox and another cat tonight.......... so 2 cats. One fox and two pigs. Haveing an early night so I should be rested for a good effort tomorrow and tomorrow night
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 30 Dec 2019, 9:42 pm

Tonight In the dark I had an idea to park myself further along the water hole to immediately intercept the pigs as they cam in for a drink instead of sitting back a comfortable distance. But the mob came in thick and fast and were right underneath my nose forcing me to act quick As th sound of the shot boomed inside the trench ( excavator dug long dam) the pigs took off in all direction one of the boars straight up the bank towards me and actually ran into the end of my barrel as I was trying to reload .my leashed dog went totally of his tits and was so full of adrenaline he was very hard to control for a while. I noticed my knees were hurting a bit as I then shot a couple of foxes hanging round the dead pigs. Later as I got in my Ute to head back to camp I saw both knees were bleeding I must have done some scurrying as that boar run into me. A quick snack and I got to go back for more
Attachments
4CE8B31E-1FCB-4206-BF52-244689BC0E58.png
4CE8B31E-1FCB-4206-BF52-244689BC0E58.png (37.05 KiB) Viewed 5612 times
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 31 Dec 2019, 1:49 am

Ended up checkin the stubble again but no good. Saw couple of mobs on the favourites paddock. Got two of them and just gout another boar on the remote water hole at 245 am. Foxes hanging round the carcasses still on the water hole but they not playing the game Heading back to house for rest. Not sure how well I will respond to a 5 am alarm
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 31 Dec 2019, 2:36 am

While walking back to my dog tied up to a fence I saw two sets of eyes instead of one set ... Deisel always has big green eyes but the There was a fox with small yellow golden eyes on the left and slightly downwind of him. D had no idea the fox was there but I think it was approaching him for a yarn or whatever
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 31 Dec 2019, 10:07 am

That was exciting BLR :D You wouldn't want a pig any closer. How is your Barrel? Still walking OK?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Stix » 31 Dec 2019, 10:22 am

:lol: :lol:

Good stuff BLR...!!!...

Love a bit of action mate... :clap: .

Certainly makes for a difference when trying to imagine it... :lol:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 31 Dec 2019, 10:50 am

My barrel is fine it was just a small bump All my surface abrasions are just superficial. A bung knee that pops up now and then is the only thing that will slow me down .... the pig did give me a bit of a fright. And I communicate this to you via internet. But If pigs could talk to each other there’s one boar out there that would be joking to his mates about how he ran into the wrong end of a hunters barrel and still lived to tell the tale
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 31 Dec 2019, 10:57 am

Lets hope that's only until next time Blr when his luck will run out :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 31 Dec 2019, 3:28 pm

That boar runs in a reasonable size mob and turns up about an hour after dark so hoping to get to know him better soon. New Years night is the perfect scenario for our reunion
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 31 Dec 2019, 7:19 pm

Good on ya Blr stick it to them mate
Member-Deleted

Post by Wm.Traynor » 31 Dec 2019, 7:21 pm

glad to hear that you and your rifle are both OK :D :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Jan 2020, 3:03 pm

I put in quite a big effort last night got home 430 am I had ideas about shooting a pig exactly midnight 2019/2020 but it did not quite work out I got one at 1215 am in my favourite paddock got a couple more on the waterhole and also on the hole I got 3 cats and a fox. I think I saw a dingo too. I always knew pigs were drawn to water but last night I realise d how successful fox and cat hunting can be on the water in summer. I was seeing cats and foxes constantly all night and they will all b there tonight too I reckon I I’ll try to get back here again end of jan
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Jan 2020, 10:53 pm

Midnight progress report. I got 3 on the waterhole pre dark then another 5 after dark. No effort whatsoever. But they were all average or small. They were Approaching the hole very cautiously. Feeding on the dead ones too Saw some in the fav paddock on the way back to house but wind was bad. Eventually they spooked and I was cranky at the wind for my long walk. But one hundred m from the Ute I thought I smelt pigs so up with the binos and sure enough roughly ten were making their way across a cult paddock to my fav paddock this time the wind was firmly in my favour and the anmbish worked well I got one and headed back to house. Brief snack Top up water bottles with cold ones , make sure the beer I’m going to have in a few hours is correctly positioned in the fridge so that it’s perfevtly chilly after my next paddock stint. About the put the gear and rifle and dog into the quad so I will have 180 degree thermal scanning ability as I’m moving through my fav paddocks .... bloody roo ra n in to my side panels on the wa back to the house no my door only opens a little and I have to squeeze into the Ute. Lucky I’m not too fat. Heading off out real soon
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jan 2020, 5:35 am

63o am. Final report for the night. I just got back. Kicking back with an exceptionally cold corona and some fish fingers for breakfast. Had a very successful night , 13 pigs, 4 foxes no cats. Now it must b snooze time
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 02 Jan 2020, 7:52 pm

That's a good haul mate but by crikey you've had to work for it. All that broken sleep would finish me.
Good luck to you Blr :thumbsup: :clap:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jan 2020, 10:36 pm

I think my luck may have run out. This arv when I arrived at my remote water hole the trees were thrashing and dust was blowing mad. And I thought hang on we might be in for some rain. It was totally fine when I left camp ..... a couple of suckers turned up as I was settling in but I let them be. Shot a couple of boars. Nott much tuned up. Saw a fox and cat. Took a drive to the other neighbours cattle yards but they were void of pigs and foxes. Then the dust storm came and thermal binos were struggling. Then I got wet from the rain. The thunder and lightning was brutal. Then I had to drive back to house real slow in the black soil. Parts of it near steep drop offs were scary in the black soil. It was as if I had very little steering ....hilux looks disgusting.....I won’t drive anymore for fear of getting bogged and doing track damage. I could give the quad a try but if the black soil decides to stick to everything I’ll get tragic build up on the wheels them I’m screwed. So it looks like Jim beam and internet for me tonight ( and cold baked beans for dinner because the storm has knocked out the power )
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jan 2020, 10:41 pm

Last boar for th trip probably the best pig
Attachments
04D7018C-C3A5-4990-8EB5-ECB922FEEE39.jpeg
04D7018C-C3A5-4990-8EB5-ECB922FEEE39.jpeg (190.43 KiB) Viewed 5773 times
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jan 2020, 10:44 pm

I’m done till I jet back her end January.... It’s over to you Ferris and D.J. to keep the bacon on the barbecue
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 Jan 2020, 11:39 pm

Its been a pleasure to follow your hunting posts Blr243 mate thanks for the good reads cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 03 Jan 2020, 6:20 am

Thanks GDB. looking fwd to hear of your wild dog hunting missions
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 03 Jan 2020, 11:33 am

Thanks for the words and pics, Blr. Enjoyed every bit of it, including the green sling in your rifle :thumbsup: ;)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Ricochet » 03 Jan 2020, 12:58 pm

Great posts and thanks for writing them up. keep up the good work.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey