Hunting & stalking techniques

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting & stalking techniques

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jan 2020, 9:17 am

This has been touched on in another thread. So thought I would start a new one.
So how do you go about hunting "old school". Odour controls, cammo, ambushing, washing clothes etc. Perhaps even tracking.

Ill kick it off.

To avoid UV on clothes (deer see the UV spectrum) I use a table spoon of Sodium bicarbonate to a wash or you can use any non-phospherous soap. (I believe wool wash is OK too) Hanging in the sunshine will also help as UV light destroys smell.

I often store clothes in a plastic bag with a little Sodium bicarbonate. Shortly before going out I spray a little eucalyptus oil on clothes to smother any odour remaining. (I believe some hunters use tea tree oil) I'm convinced it helps if the wind changes.
I step in wombat s**t too.

I use non-scented soap for all personal washing when going hunting.

Most animals do not see orange as we do so I often wear an orange cap for safety reasons. But be aware birds see colour.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Hunting & stalking techniques

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jan 2020, 10:14 am

If I make a mistake when pig Hunting and i think t h e pig has heard my approach I will use an app on my phone to make a pig sound so that the pig think it just one of him I also just use a pig caller tube or my mouth ... i use the same trick if i cant get in to his zone ( long noisy grass ) so I can entice him to me ...... also if I have been hammering a wafer hole too hard and they stop before proceeding closer I will call to let the.m know other pigs are here and it's all good
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jan 2020, 10:17 am

Bowhunting up the cape o n
dry noi s y ground I always remove my shoes so I can carefully feel the ground
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 02 Jan 2020, 11:55 am

....and a Taipan when you step on it....
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Jan 2020, 7:11 pm

RoginaJack wrote:....and a Taipan when you step on it....

Nice one"..........

I use dishwashing liquid to wash my hunting clothing but mainly rely on the wind blowing away from game to hide my scent. I also try and walk in the shade to make it harder to see me.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 02 Jan 2020, 7:46 pm

As a pig hunter, I like to hunt in "prime time" as we call it - last light as it is fading. When it gets to the point where you can only just see, try and get the last bit of twilight behind you. The last light will reflect off whatever you are looking at, rather than the back of these things, which you cannot see. This allows you to see and hunt for longer.

Try it for yourself one afternoon/night and you will see what I am talking about.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 02 Jan 2020, 8:36 pm

Go to Cabelas online. Order a Lone Wolf sit and climb combo. Pay a fortune in freight. Learn how to use it. Find a tree. Climb it. Sit, and wait, and wait and wait and bingo.

https://youtu.be/59NWr25b2qQ
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 03 Jan 2020, 10:34 am

my bit to add would be lMHO to never ever wash your hunting clothes in a washing machine because if you/your wife ever use a "whiter than white, brighter than brite" washing powder in the machine you will still have residue left in the machine that will be transmitted onto your clothes when washed in the machine, wash your gear in a bucket that has a lid in fresh hot water and a bit of baking soda

after a good air dry your clothes can be sealed in the bucket after putting a bit of eucalyptus oil or tea tree oil over the clothes, in the bucket your clothes are not subject to other scents, you are trying to make your clothes and yourself smell like the bush you will be hunting

dont sit around the campfire with your hunting gear on, you will smell like fire, watch for car exhausts as well and no smoking

another bit of good advice even if you do all this is to keep the wind in your face, probably better than all the rituals

l've also used homemade scent blocker when l expect to be in close, l use this on my shoes but l won't say it is necessary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmy6ZdH88wY

l will usually step in cow sh!t to cover my shoe smell

be aware that what you eat can smell unnatural in the bush and the smell can come from your breath ect...

before going on your hunt shower with either non scented soap or none at all, no smelly shampoos or deodorants ect.., l shower just before getting into the car

my stalking shoes are black volley tennis shoes because they are quiet to walk in

understand the old indian saying "whiteman walk a lot see a little, indian walks a little see's a lot"
there is a time to check an area out for sign but you will scent up the area if you do although l have seen animals not bothered by this l have also seen a fence crossing where after climbing through the fence for three days with rain the deer would walk up to the fence get the scent and bolt away
l will usually check out new areas then plan an attack for around three weeks later from a distance of where l expect to see them, this works for me
but understand just because you saw deer there today does not mean you will next week

watch the wildlife they will not only give you up they will give up the deer too

get a height advantage if you can, l have found deer usually do not look up unless they smell or hear you, what l have found anyway

learn to shoot straight in all the ways you expect to take a shot, practice makes perfect with the rifle you intend on using
but practice with a 22 off the shoulder is cheap and good as well

l could keep going but these are things l have found that dont hurt your efforts and maybe others will have had different experiences,
its what works for me :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jan 2020, 6:49 am

marksman wrote:my bit to add would be lMHO to never ever wash your hunting clothes in a washing machine because if you/your wife ever use a "whiter than white, brighter than brite" washing powder in the machine you will still have residue left in the machine that will be transmitted onto your clothes when washed in the machine, wash your gear in a bucket that has a lid in fresh hot water and a bit of baking soda

after a good air dry your clothes can be sealed in the bucket after putting a bit of eucalyptus oil or tea tree oil over the clothes, in the bucket your clothes are not subject to other scents, you are trying to make your clothes and yourself smell like the bush you will be hunting

dont sit around the campfire with your hunting gear on, you will smell like fire, watch for car exhausts as well and no smoking

another bit of good advice even if you do all this is to keep the wind in your face, probably better than all the rituals

l've also used homemade scent blocker when l expect to be in close, l use this on my shoes but l won't say it is necessary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmy6ZdH88wY

l will usually step in cow sh!t to cover my shoe smell

be aware that what you eat can smell unnatural in the bush and the smell can come from your breath ect...

before going on your hunt shower with either non scented soap or none at all, no smelly shampoos or deodorants ect.., l shower just before getting into the car

my stalking shoes are black volley tennis shoes because they are quiet to walk in

understand the old indian saying "whiteman walk a lot see a little, indian walks a little see's a lot"
there is a time to check an area out for sign but you will scent up the area if you do although l have seen animals not bothered by this l have also seen a fence crossing where after climbing through the fence for three days with rain the deer would walk up to the fence get the scent and bolt away
l will usually check out new areas then plan an attack for around three weeks later from a distance of where l expect to see them, this works for me
but understand just because you saw deer there today does not mean you will next week

watch the wildlife they will not only give you up they will give up the deer too

get a height advantage if you can, l have found deer usually do not look up unless they smell or hear you, what l have found anyway

learn to shoot straight in all the ways you expect to take a shot, practice makes perfect with the rifle you intend on using
but practice with a 22 off the shoulder is cheap and good as well

l could keep going but these are things l have found that dont hurt your efforts and maybe others will have had different experiences,
its what works for me :thumbsup: :drinks:

Wow, you go to a lot of trouble to reduce scent. Some interesting/good tips there.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey