This theory shot down in flames

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: This theory shot down in flames

Post by Ferrisweil » 07 Jan 2020, 7:45 pm

We used to walk around any dams on the property looking for wallows, but I’ve seen them skidaddle too many times as soon as they hit the track you walked hours before.....
Use binos these days to scope ahead and def seems to make a difference if we’re gonna sit on a dam for the night...
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 08 Jan 2020, 9:47 pm

On my last trip ( for the first part of the week ) I would walk up to a pig shot on a dam and snap a pic and drag it away from the waters edge if need be. I knew I was gradually adding my scent to the scene but I did it anyway. But later in the week I watched some extremely cautious pigs stop and think and detour and come round to approach from a different spot and just run off and change their mind altogether . So in a couple of weeks when I return the phone pics can be my last priority. I won’t move from my downwind spot after I shoot something. There’s no need. It will still be there ... it’s not like it’s going to get up and walk away. All in the interest of keeping the scene clean so the waterhole appears inviting to all
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Jan 2020, 11:10 am

Blr243 wrote:On my last trip ( for the first part of the week ) I would walk up to a pig shot on a dam and snap a pic and drag it away from the waters edge if need be. I knew I was gradually adding my scent to the scene but I did it anyway. But later in the week I watched some extremely cautious pigs stop and think and detour and come round to approach from a different spot and just run off and change their mind altogether . So in a couple of weeks when I return the phone pics can be my last priority. I won’t move from my downwind spot after I shoot something. There’s no need. It will still be there ... it’s not like it’s going to get up and walk away. All in the interest of keeping the scene clean so the waterhole appears inviting to all

I have noticed that they are definitely not worried about seeing a comrade dead.
The other night, I shot one,,,,,, and 15 mins later another one came in, and actually stepped over the dead ones hind feet to get to the waters edge.

The biggest problem (in my area at least) of leaving them till dawn for taking pics is,,,, by then they are covered in ants.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 09 Jan 2020, 1:58 pm

DJ. As I was driving thru your area on the way home from my last trip I noticed prickly pear bushes with areas that had yellowed. Is this a disease in the plant or just the drought knocking it around? I have not seen it before
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Jan 2020, 3:38 pm

Blr243 wrote:DJ. As I was driving thru your area on the way home from my last trip I noticed prickly pear bushes with areas that had yellowed. Is this a disease in the plant or just the drought knocking it around? I have not seen it before

Yeah Mate,, they have either been sprayed or basal bark injected with poison.
Which turns them yellow.
Usually with a herbicide called "Access"
It is mixed with diesel and sprayed or injected.

The Southern Downs Regional Council have (in all their wisdom) declared war on all invasive pests and weeds,,, at the worst possible time.

The most common one is the "Velvety Tree Pear" and they are doing all the roadsides,,,,, and land owners have to declare any such pest/plant each
and every year that is on their land.
They then have to destroy them,,, and show proof of destruction.
If not done within a specified time, Council engage contractors to do so, and charge the landowner.
They will also add (I think it is $500) to their rates if they are non compliant.

The BIG ISSUE/PROBLEM,,,,, is that in this drought where there is no other feed,,,,,,,,,,, the Velvety Tree Pear can and is being used as stock feed.
It is apparently very high in natural sugars, which is a valued commodity,,,,,,,, whereas big round or big square bales of decent hay are fetching between $500 and $700 each.

So,,,,,,,, very poor timing on the councils behalf in my opinion. :thumbsdown:

Adding to that,,,,,, the ludicrous situation exists whereas the neighboring councils have NOT adopted this policy.
I have a friend whose property straddles the councils boundary,,,,, and by letter of the introduced measures has to totally destroy what is growing on
one half of his property,,,,,,,, but can leave what is growing on the other half of his property. :crazy:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 09 Jan 2020, 3:54 pm

That’s interesting DJ. Always enjoy learning something new. Shame they won’t declare war on brigalow lol
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 09 Jan 2020, 6:49 pm

Thanks for the info. I nearly had a heart attack at the 600 dollar hay bale price That’s thru the roof The neighbour on my favourite hunting place is buying lots of hay at the moment. His cattle actually look real good He try’s to keep the hay in big feeder drums that only the cattle can reach otherwise the pigs are getting stuck into it. Any hay that gets spilled onto the ground the pigs are into it. It actually draws the pigs out of the bush and into the open so I can get a crack at them ..... the droughts bad when pigs have nothing to graze on and are turning to hay ..... we have all had cattle go mental on us while stalking and ruin everything but these cattle are awesome. When I wander into their paddock at any random time of night they slowly approach me and never go chaos. As soon as they realise I have no food for them they casually wander off. I can shoot amongst them and close to them and they don’t batter an eyelid ... they know me now. I’m the bloke who turns up in the middle of the night with a head torch and shoots some pigs and foxes. ....it’s just so easy to have calm attle instead of the nutters that they can be sometimes
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 09 Jan 2020, 7:49 pm

Not sure exactly of the district you blokes are talking about, but have you seen the "Cactoblastis Memorial Hall"?
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Jan 2020, 8:29 pm

GQshayne wrote:Not sure exactly of the district you blokes are talking about, but have you seen the "Cactoblastis Memorial Hall"?

No,,,, and whereabouts is it ?
Sounds interesting.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 10 Jan 2020, 7:28 pm

Here is a bit of info. I remembered it because it was such an unusual name for a hall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cactoblas ... orial_Hall
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 10 Jan 2020, 7:47 pm

Heading Moonie way next week. Will give you guys a report upon return.
Had a good night last night. 5 pigs at the honey hole.
Good fun...
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Jan 2020, 7:58 pm

Ferris what projectiles are u useing in your creed more and what weight please? I ask because I have only ever shot pigs broadside and with 223 and 243. In about ten days I’m heading out with my 303 to my best spot I was going to load 150 Speer soft points but might grab some 180 as well. And when u are shooting them from behind are most or all of them dropping on the spot. ? I don’t want to be just slowing them down and having to finish them off Do u think 150 weight is ok or will the 180 weight be more reliable at ensureing full destruction of vitals. Any one else feel free to pitch in too. I never used big cals before
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Jan 2020, 8:55 pm

Blr243 wrote:Ferris what projectiles are u useing in your creed more and what weight please? I ask because I have only ever shot pigs broadside and with 223 and 243. In about ten days I’m heading out with my 303 to my best spot I was going to load 150 Speer soft points but might grab some 180 as well. And when u are shooting them from behind are most or all of them dropping on the spot. ? I don’t want to be just slowing them down and having to finish them off Do u think 150 weight is ok or will the 180 weight be more reliable at ensureing full destruction of vitals. Any one else feel free to pitch in too. I never used big cals before

:lol: :lol:
A 375 H+H Magnum up the rear tunnel should pull em up without any drama.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Jan 2020, 9:19 pm

Yeah DJ it'll turn um inside out and they'll run back to you :thumbsup: :lol: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Jan 2020, 10:00 pm

There's nothing written in stone on how animals will react to scent or sight. I have found it mostly depends on the needs of the animal and how much scent is emitted from you on the day. if an animal is hungry, thirsty and desperate then it will take risks to a point similar to the animals in Africa crossing rivers full of crocks .I've had dogs walk up to within mtrs even though I was up wind of them they had to have smelt me but wanted water. also I've sat quietly on the bank of a creek and had roos come down to drink also within mtrs animals that are thirsty, hungry, starving and tired will tolerate a lot of dangerous things to survive . but on saying that I have also had healthy animals, pigs, dogs ,goats, wild cattle and cats all in a good season and some even walked up the track I had just walked up so '' Why'' truly I don't know its one of those things that just happens this is why I always say don't under estimate them they will come up with the most unexpected thing . but most times they are creatures of habit just that sometimes they'll alter it . my advice would be ,Try and do the down wind thing because it's the practical thing to do and is proven in most cases except in a few instances .scent is something that really works at close quarters depending on the animal I've heard deer will pick you up at a distance so it would be one to take care with . dogs I've shot them from distance 200-300yds but scent wasn't an issue but if they had been closer then it may have been. the scent problem comes when you are chasing rogue animals like dogs not so much pigs but cattle yes they seem to be in a heightened alert stage not like something that's just moving around. Thing is just keep doing what's giving you the results . You must be doing something right because you're getting them . so well done you all :thumbsup: BUT! Dam you, dam you, dam you :lol: :lol: :lol: i'm stuck at home with 2 crook legs and can't walk around too much results of hopeless surgeons, so I've just found out :violin: :violin: :silent:
Member-Deleted

Post by Ferrisweil » 10 Jan 2020, 10:16 pm

Hey mate. Me personally, I don’t go in for that whole “load a 300gr projectile and smash them” philosophy. I’ve seen pigs hit with a .22 and drop and I’ve seen them hit with 180gr pills and Still runs away, so for me, it’s more about shot placement.
In my 308 I run the OSA 135gr Hp’s and what a great little round they are. I’ve dropped some massive pigs and I wasn’t using 180gr pill. Have pigs run away on them? Yup, but you find me a person on here who shoots pigs and drops them every single time on the spot and there’s a liar for you. Everyone misses “vitals” at some point or another, regardless of the pill.
I chose 6.5 for a very particular reason, that being for the sh&thouse eye relief/recoil on the thermal scopes so while it’s not my personal preference as a calibre for pigs, (I love my 308) it still performs the job really well.
There’s people on here who will prolly get their back up about taking shots at animals on the run for “ethical” reasons but honestly, the farmers where I go would laugh at us if we only hit only 1 pig at a time out of a mob. You do the best ya can and finish off any wounded animals as quickly as possible.
So to answer your original question, digital scopes like the Trail allow you to run a variety of zeros as I’m sure you’re aware. I have 3 profile zeroes at moment. I’ve got a 90gr zero if I’m out chasing foxes, dogs or culling roos (but I’d use my 22-250 for that more), I’ve a zero on a 120gr hornady supervarmint, This is a lovely load to use on the thermal scope and my rifle seems to produce good groups with it. It shoots so well. It’s the main round I use on the thermal and is a great all rounder. I’ve also got a zero for a 140gr pill and I only use that zero at one particular farm as there is a MONSTER pig there we’ve been chasing for a while now. We’ve shot smaller than him there that have weighed in at 130 and he makes them look small, so I use a bit bigger pills whenever I’m at that spot.
If you’re going to a spot with a few pigs, pick your first pig and hit him to drop him. (Behind the ear is good and also behind front leg of course - you know all this) Once they’re running, just hit them anywhere. Remember to lead your shots of course. We’re very conscious of the background and where misses will be going. Soon as you hear that “thud”, pick your next target.
I hope this helps a bit. Sorry for being long winded and as I said, I know not everyone is into running shots but i can’t see how you can be a pig shooter and NOT take running shots.

Here’s a picture of a good lead shot taken from a video I took a few weeks ago. This pig was hooking along at a fast rate at about 60-70m I reckon. This is the frame before i took the shot. Wish I could put vids on here and you’d see the result.
Attachments
85D5A660-941E-43BB-95C8-9A9A29A0E7CF.png
85D5A660-941E-43BB-95C8-9A9A29A0E7CF.png (2.78 MiB) Viewed 3816 times
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Jan 2020, 11:19 pm

Ferrisweil wrote:Hey mate. Me personally, I don’t go in for that whole “load a 300gr projectile and smash them” philosophy.

I chose 6.5 for a very particular reason, that being for the sh&thouse eye relief/recoil on the thermal scopes

Hey there Ferrisweil,,,,
Just in case it is me that you are referring to with the 300gr projectiles,,,,,,,,,,, I was only jesting when I posted that comment.

And re the sh&thouse eye relief/recoil on thermal scopes, I see and understand what you mean,,,,,,,, and that is one reason why
I chose the particular thermal that I use. It has none of those issues,,,, in fact I do use it occasionally on the 375 Mag.

:drinks: :friends:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 10 Jan 2020, 11:22 pm

Hey DJ. Wasn’t referring to you at all mate. I know plenty of people that use 180gr and have done myself. Was just me making a sweeping statement that you hear about people using big grains regularly....
Which thermal you using again?
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Jan 2020, 11:52 pm

Ferrisweil wrote:Hey DJ. Wasn’t referring to you at all mate. I know plenty of people that use 180gr and have done myself. Was just me making a sweeping statement that you hear about people using big grains regularly....
Which thermal you using again?

Check yer Mailbox shortly Mate.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Jan 2020, 3:13 pm

Thanks men for taking the time to post your experience s. I bought a box of 180 speers this morning. Mon or tue I will have time to do some accuracy testing with different loads in the 150 and 180. Then I’m back in the field on jan 22 so I will post my results Sorry for interruption of your topic D.J. I’m sure u don’t mind I always was a random rambler .....my new high seat that I’m making is taking shape I will post a pic of it when it’s set up on the dam I have a new motto...... It’s too hot to work but never to hot to hunt
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Jan 2020, 5:43 pm

Blr243 wrote:Thanks men for taking the time to post your experience s. I bought a box of 180 speers this morning. Mon or tue I will have time to do some accuracy testing with different loads in the 150 and 180. Then I’m back in the field on jan 22 so I will post my results Sorry for interruption of your topic D.J. I’m sure u don’t mind I always was a random rambler .....my new high seat that I’m making is taking shape I will post a pic of it when it’s set up on the dam I have a new motto...... It’s too hot to work but never to hot to hunt

You do realize of course that you are not allowed to take it out field,,,, till after it's been
inspected and passed Occ Health & Safety standards by an independent authority on "high seats"
:lol: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Jan 2020, 6:18 pm

I met a bloke once who did lots of stuff that was not necessarily correct and when asked if he was worried about the law he said that his entire family has this special licence that allows them to do Anything anytime any where I thought it was a brilliant idea so I got one of those licences too now it’s the best thi g I ever did ( and it never expires ) I got tek screws and duct tape So the hi seat safety is covered and certified..... I think the pigs cats and foxes are going to hate it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Jan 2020, 6:21 pm

D.J. do u really have a 375 h and h. ? And do u ever use it. ? It must boot like hell
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 11 Jan 2020, 7:09 pm

BLR, I reckon the only difference that would matter with a 150 or 180 will be construction. If the lighter projectile will give better trajectory I would pick that, in a suitable construction. Nothing special needed in that size, so a Hot Cor or something would be fine. As you well know, a .243 will drop a big pig, so the 30 cal will do a job with a 150 I reckon. My 2c anyway.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Jan 2020, 8:57 pm

Go shayne. Thank you for your contribution, Every bit of information / experience all adds up to assist me with my choices and reloading I’m Looking fwd to being in the field again
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Jan 2020, 2:38 am

Blr243 wrote:D.J. do u really have a 375 h and h. ? And do u ever use it. ? It must boot like hell

:lol: Do ya wanna try it on for size Mate ?
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Jan 2020, 6:26 am

Yes ok. One day on the way home from a hunt ,,,,standing position not lying prone. And pref with a recoil pad
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Jan 2020, 1:33 pm

Blr243 wrote:Yes ok. One day on the way home from a hunt ,,,,standing position not lying prone. And pref with a recoil pad

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How about "seated" in the high seat ???
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Jan 2020, 2:04 pm

First I must secure the tops of the hi seat with steel cables at 45 degrees attached to steel pickets drivin into the ground .....I have so little experience with big guns that I’ll prob do this with my 303 anyway .. better to be safe than flat on my back unable to move and wondering how long before the pigs start chewing on me
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 12 Jan 2020, 5:21 pm

Blr243 wrote:Go shayne. Thank you for your contribution, Every bit of information / experience all adds up to assist me with my choices and reloading I’m Looking fwd to being in the field again

I forgot when I wrote my last post, but my father and I both used 30CAL, 150 grainers for a long time. In the old 30/30, he had a Marlin 336 and I had a 94 Winchester. Just normal lead core and nothing special. In the .303 they should work even better.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey