This theory shot down in flames

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: This theory shot down in flames

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Jan 2020, 11:52 pm

Ferrisweil wrote:Hey DJ. Wasn’t referring to you at all mate. I know plenty of people that use 180gr and have done myself. Was just me making a sweeping statement that you hear about people using big grains regularly....
Which thermal you using again?

Check yer Mailbox shortly Mate.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Jan 2020, 3:13 pm

Thanks men for taking the time to post your experience s. I bought a box of 180 speers this morning. Mon or tue I will have time to do some accuracy testing with different loads in the 150 and 180. Then I’m back in the field on jan 22 so I will post my results Sorry for interruption of your topic D.J. I’m sure u don’t mind I always was a random rambler .....my new high seat that I’m making is taking shape I will post a pic of it when it’s set up on the dam I have a new motto...... It’s too hot to work but never to hot to hunt
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Jan 2020, 5:43 pm

Blr243 wrote:Thanks men for taking the time to post your experience s. I bought a box of 180 speers this morning. Mon or tue I will have time to do some accuracy testing with different loads in the 150 and 180. Then I’m back in the field on jan 22 so I will post my results Sorry for interruption of your topic D.J. I’m sure u don’t mind I always was a random rambler .....my new high seat that I’m making is taking shape I will post a pic of it when it’s set up on the dam I have a new motto...... It’s too hot to work but never to hot to hunt

You do realize of course that you are not allowed to take it out field,,,, till after it's been
inspected and passed Occ Health & Safety standards by an independent authority on "high seats"
:lol: :lol:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Jan 2020, 6:18 pm

I met a bloke once who did lots of stuff that was not necessarily correct and when asked if he was worried about the law he said that his entire family has this special licence that allows them to do Anything anytime any where I thought it was a brilliant idea so I got one of those licences too now it’s the best thi g I ever did ( and it never expires ) I got tek screws and duct tape So the hi seat safety is covered and certified..... I think the pigs cats and foxes are going to hate it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Jan 2020, 6:21 pm

D.J. do u really have a 375 h and h. ? And do u ever use it. ? It must boot like hell
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 11 Jan 2020, 7:09 pm

BLR, I reckon the only difference that would matter with a 150 or 180 will be construction. If the lighter projectile will give better trajectory I would pick that, in a suitable construction. Nothing special needed in that size, so a Hot Cor or something would be fine. As you well know, a .243 will drop a big pig, so the 30 cal will do a job with a 150 I reckon. My 2c anyway.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Jan 2020, 8:57 pm

Go shayne. Thank you for your contribution, Every bit of information / experience all adds up to assist me with my choices and reloading I’m Looking fwd to being in the field again
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Jan 2020, 2:38 am

Blr243 wrote:D.J. do u really have a 375 h and h. ? And do u ever use it. ? It must boot like hell

:lol: Do ya wanna try it on for size Mate ?
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Jan 2020, 6:26 am

Yes ok. One day on the way home from a hunt ,,,,standing position not lying prone. And pref with a recoil pad
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Jan 2020, 1:33 pm

Blr243 wrote:Yes ok. One day on the way home from a hunt ,,,,standing position not lying prone. And pref with a recoil pad

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How about "seated" in the high seat ???
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Jan 2020, 2:04 pm

First I must secure the tops of the hi seat with steel cables at 45 degrees attached to steel pickets drivin into the ground .....I have so little experience with big guns that I’ll prob do this with my 303 anyway .. better to be safe than flat on my back unable to move and wondering how long before the pigs start chewing on me
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 12 Jan 2020, 5:21 pm

Blr243 wrote:Go shayne. Thank you for your contribution, Every bit of information / experience all adds up to assist me with my choices and reloading I’m Looking fwd to being in the field again

I forgot when I wrote my last post, but my father and I both used 30CAL, 150 grainers for a long time. In the old 30/30, he had a Marlin 336 and I had a 94 Winchester. Just normal lead core and nothing special. In the .303 they should work even better.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey