Totally awesome news

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Totally awesome news

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jan 2020, 12:39 pm

I have been dreading a call from the farm owners to inform me that it’s too wet to visit. 15 mins ago I saw a missed call and voicemail. So I faced the music and called back expecting the worst but at the same time being happy for them because I know they desperately need it but only 16 mm has fallen there and there’s no problem at all for me to visit. Neighbour ing towns either side got a fair stack of rain. He was just calling to check because he had forgotten when I was coming out. Biggest mob I had ever seen was prob 36 up the cape. The other day the farmer reckons he seen a mob nearly two hundred. He reckons for some reason all the smaller mobs have united near the remaining water. I’m not getting too excited yet because 200 sounds a bit of an exageration .... he said as soon as I get there he will show me exactly where they are. Funnily enough it’ sounds like it’s in an area where last time I had bugger all luck. But we all know things change. Does anyone here have an m60 I can borrow ? As far as shooting at a mob goes and getting multiple shots in it does not really matter if there’s five pigs or two hundred .......after I get my first good clean shot in the rest scatter anyway and I struggle to get more .... so I’m not expecting to get better numbers than usual. ( Hope hey don’t decide to turn on me) But I’m a big fan of video and pics so if I can get film of a mob that s 60 or 70 strong I will b over the moon. So here’s hoping there’s a thumper boar amongst them and he’s not surrounded by others in the line of fire. I may need some anti anxiety pills for my dog so he don’t have a heart attack seeing all those pigs together. Might need some for myself too. ... I’m already feeling a bit rattled at the good news and I’m still in bris a few days from the scene ...... buggered if I know why people need recreational drugs,....... I as high as a bloody kite just thinking about my next trip to the bush
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Totally awesome news

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Jan 2020, 12:51 pm

I hate you! :sarcasm: ;)

but seriously, I do!
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 19 Jan 2020, 1:15 pm

Just wait up eh... :?
Im loading the car... :)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ferrisweil » 19 Jan 2020, 1:22 pm

Use your thermal and get downwind of them. Don’t rush and once they come in, pick your location so follow up shots are easier cos they’ll most likely run the same way they came in.
Can’t remember what cal your using but if if there’s been that many you might be able to line up the “two for one shot”.
Once all the chaos is over, don’t walk over to check the results. I’ve found that often 30-45mins after shots, some might come back or other mobs in the area will come in...
Good luck mate!! Can’t wait to hear the results.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 19 Jan 2020, 1:31 pm

Hmm maybe its time to get yourself a sound moderator.... have you looked into QLD regs?
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Ferrisweil » 19 Jan 2020, 1:43 pm

I’ve looked into it Ziad. Don’t even bother researching lol
I’ve used suppressors a few times now and unless you’re using them with a subsonic load, it’s still gonna scare stuff away on the first shot..
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 19 Jan 2020, 1:44 pm

Enjoy the trip mate. Sounds like you’re in for a cracker. :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jan 2020, 1:45 pm

Maybe I could put some Valium in the creek so that pigs walk away from the shots instead of running. I think the punishment from shooting pigs quietly would probably be quite extreme I think xtp 300 grain from 450 bushmaster is probably good for two pigs broadside. We will see
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 19 Jan 2020, 1:47 pm

Mate do you have the 450 Bushmaster in the Ruger American Ranch?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 19 Jan 2020, 2:15 pm

:D I know for a fact that a 270 will go through two pigs
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jan 2020, 2:52 pm

Yes it’s ruger American ranch lam wood stock short barrell it came with pic rail, variable loop scope and I think a 9 or ten shot mag Ditched the scope. Done so little with the rifle I don’t really know jack about it but will be sighting it in first day I get onto the block
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 19 Jan 2020, 3:03 pm

BLR 243 Does that not stand for Browning lever rifle.Get after them you should get more than one
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Jan 2020, 3:08 pm

Wow,,,, Mate you know where I hang out,,,,,,, we've had 75 mm in two days.
The most we've had in that amount of time for 6 years.

And as for a 2 for 1 shot,,,, I know the .375 can do it.
On my previous property I had my own purpose built rifle range.
The backdrop consisted of a limestone wall 2 1/2 feet in thickness with an 10 foot thick mound of earth pushed up by a dozer behind the wall

The .375 punched all the way through the limestone and left an exit hole big enough for my fist,,, and then continued on and embedded
itself deep into the mound somewhere.

:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jan 2020, 4:16 pm

Awesome rain DJ. Very happy for you. The browning lever gun is my back up now. But your right Duncan I gotta get cracking and get those pigs
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by 8x57 » 19 Jan 2020, 4:55 pm

The big boars normally hang back from the water source and let the other pigs go in first, then come out if it stays quiet. A little patience can bring some good results.
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 19 Jan 2020, 5:03 pm

The BLR should come out of retirement, and put aside the bolt gun for a bit. Rate of fire is incomparable, especially if you have a proper wide angle scope, like a 1 power. And a spare mag if you can get one for your model BLR (I dunno what you have).

And as a hunter, we all go for the best target, it is only natural to look for the big boar in the mob. But if you are trying to clean up numbers for your property owner, then you need to reverse your thinking. Often the big boar is up the front, and when you get it first they scatter. Start at the back of the mob, and work your way forward. If it is a numbers game you will get more that way.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jan 2020, 6:12 pm

That real big mob was seen t other day close to my accom / house on water in the middle of the day so no need for the thermal so your right shayne I should rig the old browning for some fast daytime action and I do have a spare mag for it. Many months ago when I was first being given a tour of the place I was told about a hundred strong mob in the same spot. But never run into anything like that. I’ll b keeping my fingers crossed
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jan 2020, 6:34 pm

Sounds like u need some help. Hint.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 19 Jan 2020, 6:35 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Sounds like u need some help. Hint.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Always worth a try mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jan 2020, 6:56 pm

I was just randomly thinking if I have an appropriate fast daytime scope for the blr and I remembered I do have an old tasco propoint or aim point whatever from 30 plus years ago and it still works. I remember taking it on a donkey shoot in the Kimberly’s and stupid me did not bring spare batteries for it and I I forgot and left it turned on and off course batts went flat and only had one rifle/scope. Does everyone one here understand how hard it is to try to purchase a pair of LR44 button type batteries on a 300 thousand acre cattle station in the middle of the Kimberly’s in 1989 ? I think it was one of the first type of red dot scopes ....... My 4wd is a Ute and my dog sits in the passenger side ( hint ) sorry lads
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ricochet » 19 Jan 2020, 8:04 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Wow,,,, Mate you know where I hang out,,,,,,, we've had 75 mm in two days.
The most we've had in that amount of time for 6 years.

And as for a 2 for 1 shot,,,, I know the .375 can do it.
On my previous property I had my own purpose built rifle range.
The backdrop consisted of a limestone wall 2 1/2 feet in thickness with an 10 foot thick mound of earth pushed up by a dozer behind the wall

The .375 punched all the way through the limestone and left an exit hole big enough for my fist,,, and then continued on and embedded
itself deep into the mound somewhere.

:thumbsup:

I wished you rain
You got it
Your welcome :D

I'm happy you got it, wishing some would fall here now.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Jan 2020, 9:37 pm

Blr243 wrote:That real big mob was seen t other day close to my accom / house on water in the middle of the day so no need for the thermal so your right shayne I should rig the old browning for some fast daytime action and I do have a spare mag for it. Many months ago when I was first being given a tour of the place I was told about a hundred strong mob in the same spot. But never run into anything like that. I’ll b keeping my fingers crossed

With the rain, it is on the cards that the pigs will scatter throughout, in smaller mobs or individuals.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jan 2020, 10:27 pm

Only got 16 mm on the farm and it’s been dry since then. I’m hoping for no more over the next ten days. The countdown is on. Tomorrow I drive to Gympie for work. Then tomorrow night I drive to northern nsw to visit dads farm , fix his blocked sewer, get covered in shut ( gotta love a rapidly spinning sewer coil covered in shut ) then tues night I drive out towards the hunting block , spend the night on the side of road with trucks smashing past me all night. Fuel up. Buy my tucker at the supermarket, arrive , check rifle zeros then I go to work
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey